“Lovely hotel, slight issues”

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just back from our night at cameron house, this is the 2nd time we have visited and had a slight issue with check in which was a little disappointing, we arrived at 3 (check in time) after queuing for 20 mins we eventually got to reception to be told our room was not ready this was a little disappointing however we went to bar and were provided with a complimentary drink. The room not being ready was not as big as problem as the fact that we waited over an hour until it was actually ready, however when we eventually got to reception we were told we had been upgraded which made up for it slightly as we were due in the spa at 5 we were a little more rushed for time than we would have like to have been in saying that that was the only issue we had during our stay the carrick spa was fantastic as was dinner at the claret jug followed by drinks in the great scots bar, our room was fantastic with the most comfiest bed I have slept in. Breakfast the next day was delicious and loads of choice and variety. I would defiantly visit again but do feel they should address check in problems

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,148)

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My Mum and I got a deal for Cameron House for my 25th birthday treat. The deal included dinner, bed, breakfast and a 1 hour spa treatment each. We got a twin-room. I opted for a hot stone massage and my Mum a facial.

We were told that we could check-in from 3pm, but had our spa treatments booked in for 2pm so we arrived at the hotel early(12pm), with plans to check-in, drop off our bags and head to the Carrick Spa. Upon arrival at the grand entrance we were greeted by a very friendly lady named Gabrielle whose warm smile and friendly nature instantly made us feel very welcome. She apologied that we weren't able to check-in yet, but we hadn't expected to be able to check-in yet anyway! She took our bags from us, gave us a run down of where everything was and told us if we waited by the front entrance a shuttle bus woud pick us up and take us to the Carrick Spa, which is off-site and 5minute drive away. This suited us fine and so we waited for our lift.

The drive to Carrick Spa was very quick, and when we arrived we headed to the reception where we filled out our consultation forms before being shown around. As we had been driving all morning we asked to be booked in for some lunch. The receptionist done this for us while we went to get changed into our swimming costumes and robes. The layout was very good, and everything was really clean.

For lunch we ordered three mini tapas dishes, a sandwich with chips to share and also had a glass of prosecco each. We did wait about 20-25minutes for our food, and it wasn't too busy. But the food was nice and hot when it arrived and just shows that the food was being freshly prepared. Others in the spa bar were also dressed in their robes and slippers so we felt really comfortable and relaxed.

After lunch, we took our seats and awaited our treatments at the treatment rooms. My hot-stone massage was wonderful. The lady was very friendly and made me feel very confortable throughout. I felt that the 1 hour treatment was possibly cut a little bit short, given the 5 minute chat before hand and I arrived in the relaxation room at 2:50, but it was still great none-the-less!

After our treatments we went to try out the facilities, starting with the roof top hydrotherapy infinity pool. We arrived on a very cold, wet and windy winters day. We hung up our robes and the distance from warmth to the pool was absolutely freezing, but once in the pool was very nice and warm. I'd maybe suggest getting somewhere sheltered outside next to the pool to hang up your robe, due to the rain we didn't want to take our robes and leave on one of the loungers as it would get wet.

The other facilities were tepidarium, caldarium, sauna, infra red sauna, hammam steam room and aromatherapy room. The caldarium and infra red sauna didn't seem to be working, we did sit in each room but nothing happened - which was a bit of a shame. The rest great though!

After the spa, we headed back to the hotel in the shuttle bus. We were given the key to our room, which was quite some walk away, and down a little spiral staircase at the back. But the room was lovely. VERY large, with two single beds, we had requested a DVD player which was in place upon arrival. The room was very quiet and we were very happy with it.

We booked in for dinner at the Cameron Grill. As we had a deal, there was a menu which was included in our price, or we had the choice to chose from the A La Carte menu. We opted to stick without our deal. Our waiter for the night seemed new. He was friendly but seemed pretty shy, and not very confident. He took our drinks order (bottle of proseco) and asked us if we'd like some water, and then took our food order. We were half way through the starter before our prosecco arrived. He explained he had struggled to get us an ice bucket, which was okay, just a shame we had to wait so long for it. The food was delicious, really couldn't fault it. The service was good. Not fast, but not too slow either. Upon leaving, although our meal was included in the price we had to sign for the extras (prosecco) and were shocked to find we'd been charged £5.02 for a bottle of water. We didn't question this, but the option of tap water would have been fine - especially in Scotland where the water is pure and lovely to drink straight from the tap!

All in all - we had an amazing experience here, and as a very special treat we will definitely return. Everyone we spoke with staff wise was very friendly and helpful. It really is a very grand (and expensive) place so the slight negative comments are purely due tothe fact you'd expect everything to be 100% perect at such a place. I'd give 95%,. So still absolutely wonderful! Thank you Cameron House :-)

Room Tip: We had a garden-view room, which actually looked onto the carpark at the rear of the building. It wa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

So it all started fairly poorly when I called the Carrick Spa to be rudely informed it was full and to be aware of what day I was aiming to book for....ok no need to be rude but fair enough.

Then a few days later we arrived at the hotel.....3:45pm we got there to check in, only to be informed housekeeping were still in our room and that we had to wait! Granted it is a busy hotel but I found that quite poor.

Anyhow we got to our glorious room complete with the Loch view. Everything in the room was perfect and we had our champagne to add to this beautiful setting!

Our evening was booked for the Cameron Grill as reading reviews on here it felt like a good choice! The Mrs and I ordered the burger each which while maybe a little pricy was quite tasty. I found the service quite slow on the night as we had ordered mayonaise only for it too arrive as we were finishing our meal. Added to this when we were brought the bill, the £5 pint of oyster stout we had ordered during the meal was on our bill.....this had never arrived. We had that swiftly taken off the bill. Then on to the tip....we didnt have a choice but to be charged 10% of our bill for the service! Now im a firm believer you tip someone for their fantastic service and the lengths they go to to make your experience the best it can be, but never mind ill put that down to lack of visits to 5 star accommodation.

We went to the great scots bar after for a few drinks, after a 20 minute stand at the bar I was served (it wasnt really busy) it just seemed the hotel were short staffed....but why on the day before valentines day, surely one of the busiest days on the calender? Another service issue....this is meant to be 5 star by the way!

Breakfast...what could go wrong?...we arrived at 10:10 which we thought was a reasonable time to eat just before our journey back to the north east. We were then seated at 10:50 after the one girl on the desk had eventually sorted us a table. Service issue! Now the breakfast was fantastic with no complaints but overshadowed by the wait. Were the breakfast team short staffed?

So overall, the setting is beautful no matter what the weather. The leisure club was brilliant with the jacuzzi, sauna and steam room by the pool. The breakfast was good and very tasty. But the let down and it was a major let down was the service or lack of. We found our stay at the Lake of Mentieth hotel late last year to be much better and it was also cheaper!

Wont be busting a gut to come back!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1108mt
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived on Sunday afternoon and were so looking forward to a night of relaxation and luxury unfortunately what I got was stress and tiredness. We booked in for treatments at the spa which were a complete let down as the massage lasted 15mins instead of the advertised 30mins. The spa was a shambles when we arrived with no robes or towels in any of the lockers it was unclean and there was no toilet roll in toilet. After the horrendous spa experience we waited 45 mins on a shuttle bus to bring us from spa to hotel which the staff at claret jug told us the hotel had forgot about us. This resulted in us being late for our dinner at the boat house. When we did arrive at boathouse after having to rush to get ready Aaron our waiter couldn't have made us feel more comfortable & his service was the best we received the full day. However it did end the next day with 2 members of party being ill through the night after eating the prawns and resulted in us having to complete a huge health and safety food questionnaire the following day.
I spoke to the manager the following day and he told me he was sorry and I could take his card to request an upgrade when I stay next time. I told him there would never be a chance I would ever stay here again. I left feeling totally let down and annoyed that I'd spent so much money on a terrible experience.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Lynsey O
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My Wife has been to Cameron House on several occasions and there has been flaws at each visit. However, this time was the last and they really pushed the boat out on the calamities. It was a flurry of mistakes and sub standard customer service from the start to the finish.

I'm not prepared to type war and peace because the hotel isn't worth the effort and I've wasted enough of my money and time there already. Rooms weren't ready until 4pm, rooms weren't close to each other when promised they would be. Carrick Spa had no robes or towels and the staff were very rude and abrupt. Treatment only lasted 15 mins instead of the 30 mins clearly advertised. 45 mins wait for the shuttle service to take us back to the hotel. Staff had a conflict of stories and someone was clearly lying to cover their backs. 2 members of the group fell ill after the prawn cocktail, one with diahorrea and the other with vomiting all night. The best part of the full escapade was when the duty manager tried to give my Wife his card and said that he would give us a free upgrade next time we visit. Guess what, he kept his card in his cheap suit pocket. Do I need to type any more?

We frequent in some outstanding 5* hotels in the world and this hotel is totally reliant on the location and views to pull it through. The service is truly shambolic and I will never be returning to the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Peter O
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

As the title suggests this was our second visit to Cameron house and once again could not fault any part of the stay there all the staff were ever so courteous and most helpful. The first night our meal was in Boat House and was most delicious well presented and all the staff were so friendly and ever so helpful , I would recommend anything from the menu ,my wife had the ribeye steak which was done to a tee ,the best she's tasted. On our next day we had a spa day booked up at the Carrick which was bliss as it was my first ever treatment ,after that our main meal was in the Claret Jug which is within the Carrick ,and the service from the staff in particular Mike was 150% so professional and committed to his position ,our meal consisted of French onion soup ,lovely, followed by the haddie n chips lovely fresh and soft piece of fish followed by the apple pie and custard , I forgot to add I would defo recommend the burger n chips which I had previously had at lunch all in all the whole break was absolutely fantastic and hope to return again soon. I would like to add the Great Scot bar in Cameron House was the place to chill and relax after a hectic day what a choice of drinks and really comfy seating , oh to be back.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I booked this through Itison as a Christmas present for my mum. On arrival on 6th February Darren at the Reception was brilliant, Crawford met us and took our bags to our room which was great, he was also driving the shuttle and said he would wait to take us to the Spa where we had booked for the thermal experience and treatments. We had our meal at the Boathouse restaurant, best steak I have ever had. We had a brilliant time and cannot wait to return. I would say this has been a brilliant and amazing experience, I cannot find enough words to say this. Although I have named only 2 staff at the hotel, all staff we came into contact with were lovely, very polite and helpful. Would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone.

Room Tip: We were in room 28 a twin room which was lovely
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House
#4 of 4 in Alexandria
Knockderry House Hotel
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!