“A bit of a disappointment”

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Stirling, United Kingdom
“A bit of a disappointment”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Lovely rooms, hotel decor and atmosphere. The hotel was very clean and the facilities are good. Spa is amazing would highly recommend. The breakfast was great with so much variety.

The major complaint was customer service, I couldn't believe it! For a 5 star was expecting great service but it was terrible. The worst was dinner at the boat house. We had tried to change reservations from 7pm to 7.30 but were told it was not possible since there was a large party arriving at that time. We arrived at 7pm and told our table was not ready so they asked if we would wait at the bar, they then forgot about us! After 30mins of waiting I had to go and ask if table was ready. They looked confused then apologised and said it would be another 10 mins. They gave us menus to look at while we waited. 15mins later I had to ask again and we were eventually shown to our table only then to be left again for another 15mins before our order was taken! So instead of rushing out the spa we could have had our 7.30 reservation! The service continued to be very slow and waiters were not polite. We had to wait for ages and then eventually ask to see the desert menus.

The staff on the reception desk were not very friendly either. Would not pay full price to stay here, I would only return if it was discounted in an offer due to poor customer service.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SandCtheworld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights in February 2014 for Valentines / his birthday. We booked The Great Escape spa package which included 2 nights bed and breakfast with dinner on the first night, plus a treatment each. When booking we were made aware that they only had Contemporary Features Rooms available. The cost was significantly higher, but we were told the rooms would have views of the loch and either balconies or rolltop baths in the room - so we decided the extra cost would be worthwhile.

The hotel is gorgeous and large and even though it was busy, it never felt like that.

The room we has was absolutely massive - five seperate rooms over the length of a corridor. The bathroom was huge with double sinks, a rolltop bath and double shower - although there is no door into the bathroom which can be a little offputting. The value for money for room size was worthwhile!

The only view we had was of the car park, but we felt the room was special enough to overlook this. However, there were many little things in the room that just weren't quite right. The room wasn't as clean as we'd have liked; in the bedroom area there was wallpaper peeling from the wall; there were many little fixtures that were loose or broken. There were two tv rooms, plus a tv in the bathroom but the reception in both tv rooms was poor and there was no remote for the bathroom tv (not that we were there to watch television, but we did fancy watching the winter olympics with a glass of champagne before dinner)!

Service at the hotel was hit or miss. Dinner at the Boathouse was good. Dinner and service at Martin Wishart was incredible (I'll write a separate review). Breakfast was the big let down at the hotel. Long queues, comments from staff about 'everyone coming down at the last minute', missing crockery or cutlery, etc! The breakfast was nice - my husband and I wanted to order from the menu on the second day, but this wasn't really an option as having waited so long to get a table and to be served, we'd have missed check out! However, my husband and I both worked in hotel restaurants so understand how it can be busy nearing to the end of service, so did not complain. I just felt that we should not have had to wait 30 minutes when we came down an hour before the end of service! I think they were definitely short staffed over the whole weekend for breakfast.

We had a bottle of champagne in our room on the first night and had some chocolates that were left by the manager for my husband as a birthday treat (such a lovely thought). We left all the glasses, plates, etc in the living area but for some reason they were left there by the turndown staff? Odd. Also, when the cleaner did clear them the next morning they were left outside our room until AFTER turndown that evening! Over 24 hours for rubbish to be left outside our room is poor.

We went to the Carrick spa and it was ok, but not fantastic. The shuttle service was great. My husand had a brilliant hot stone massage whereas mine was a bit poor. The relaxation room was a little grubby with cobwebs hanging from the ceiling! The thermal facilities were good but there was an unmistakable smell of feet / sweat. Not great!

The swimming pool and leisure facilities at the hotel are great for kids. It would be nice if there were more loungers.

The location of this hotel is excellent - beautiful with brilliant walks and so much to do. The food at the hotel was great. The room we were in could have done with a little more TLC, especially considering the cost! Some of the staff could do with some more training. However, I do think I would return.

2 Thank amy_davidson_1983
Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Myself and my husband have stayed here 3 times now and are planning our 4th stay!

I absolutely adore Cameron House and the magic it has to make you feel relaxed from the moment you step in the front door, from the concierge greeting your to check in, the beautiful rooms nothing is too much for the staff.

I love sitting in the greats scots bar overlooking the water with a nice wee cocktail or two!

There is a number of restaurants to choose from and we have had lunch in the Boat House, dinner in the Grill but our favourite has to be Martin Wisharts restaurant!

It is truly fantastic! Delicious food and wine! On one occasion I was pregnant and had to have dishes in the tasting menu changed for me and they staff could not have been more accommodating!

Even on our return to the bar the staff were more than happy to make me up a wee non alcoholic cocktail - little touches like these make us want to return time and time again!

Last visit we also treated ourselves to the Carrick Spa and it was well worth a visit! - especially the roof top pool!

Cannot wait to go back again this year!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
scotland
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Have stayed at Cameron house now on five occasions. As always the setting was beautiful and is without doubt one of the best settings of a hotel in Scotland or indeed the UK.

On arrival we found the usual disorganised service, with delighted guests and also some not so delighted ones. Whilst friendly, as usual on check in they had trouble finding our booking. We were staying on room, dinner and breakfast. There was really no explanation at all as to what we were entitled to at dinner. We later found our dinner was a rather tasty Indian buffet at the claret jug. Good for us but no so good for others (more shouty guests there).

Had good experiences with shuttle to claret jug this time - ended up being a private journey both ways despite hotel being full up.

Room as usual very nice, if a little dark. Would like to try one of the new upgraded rooms next time. Had breakfast in room for £5 tray charge, worth every penny.

pool was very busy and did not use this time.

I think the mixed reviews of this hotel are based mostly on the service- which is very mixed. Better guest info on arrival would be a good starter. Having rooms ready for people (this is first time that they have) is another must. Service needs to be consistent, not ranging from excellent and friendly to could not care less. Overall you are left with the feeling that the place lacks organisation.

Its not cheap, so guests deserve better consistency.

2 Thank coconut-monkey09
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

As a treat we booked ourselves in for one night in a garden view room. Check in is from 3 so we arrived slightly early at 2.40. We were told that our room wasn't ready yet but they would call us when it was. We went to the bar and had a drink after leaving our luggage at reception. 3.40 came and went, no phone call. I popped back to reception and jumped the HUGE queue waiting to check in to be told the room still wasn't ready and we were given a couple of drinks vouchers. Back to the bar for a while. I was quite annoyed as our plans were slowly tick tocking away. 4.30 came and still no call so back to reception. I was too angry at this point so sent my partner up to the desk. Ended up speaking to the duty manager who couldn't have been nicer. We got a lovely suite and a thermal experience at the Carrick Spa as an apology. By the time everything was sorted it was 5pm and we were just getting into our room. Now if we had been staying for several nights this would not have been an issue at all, but when staying for just the one night is leaves little time to enjoy the facilities and have dinner at a reasonable time.
The room upgrade and the spa were lovely, but for a 5* hotel none of it should have been necessary. Surely the rooms should have been ready for the check in time? Surely a more efficient check in experience should have been in place when it was expected to be busy? Surely if they knew people were waiting for phone calls to collect room keys then an additional member of staff could have been put on purely for that purpose?
Don't get me wrong the hotel is beautiful, the room was amazing and the duty manager helpful, understanding and lovely, but we still left slightly disappointed. The first impressions are usually the ones that stick with you.

1 Thank lovenstone
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Just back from our night at cameron house, this is the 2nd time we have visited and had a slight issue with check in which was a little disappointing, we arrived at 3 (check in time) after queuing for 20 mins we eventually got to reception to be told our room was not ready this was a little disappointing however we went to bar and were provided with a complimentary drink. The room not being ready was not as big as problem as the fact that we waited over an hour until it was actually ready, however when we eventually got to reception we were told we had been upgraded which made up for it slightly as we were due in the spa at 5 we were a little more rushed for time than we would have like to have been in saying that that was the only issue we had during our stay the carrick spa was fantastic as was dinner at the claret jug followed by drinks in the great scots bar, our room was fantastic with the most comfiest bed I have slept in. Breakfast the next day was delicious and loads of choice and variety. I would defiantly visit again but do feel they should address check in problems

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My Mum and I got a deal for Cameron House for my 25th birthday treat. The deal included dinner, bed, breakfast and a 1 hour spa treatment each. We got a twin-room. I opted for a hot stone massage and my Mum a facial.

We were told that we could check-in from 3pm, but had our spa treatments booked in for 2pm so we arrived at the hotel early(12pm), with plans to check-in, drop off our bags and head to the Carrick Spa. Upon arrival at the grand entrance we were greeted by a very friendly lady named Gabrielle whose warm smile and friendly nature instantly made us feel very welcome. She apologied that we weren't able to check-in yet, but we hadn't expected to be able to check-in yet anyway! She took our bags from us, gave us a run down of where everything was and told us if we waited by the front entrance a shuttle bus woud pick us up and take us to the Carrick Spa, which is off-site and 5minute drive away. This suited us fine and so we waited for our lift.

The drive to Carrick Spa was very quick, and when we arrived we headed to the reception where we filled out our consultation forms before being shown around. As we had been driving all morning we asked to be booked in for some lunch. The receptionist done this for us while we went to get changed into our swimming costumes and robes. The layout was very good, and everything was really clean.

For lunch we ordered three mini tapas dishes, a sandwich with chips to share and also had a glass of prosecco each. We did wait about 20-25minutes for our food, and it wasn't too busy. But the food was nice and hot when it arrived and just shows that the food was being freshly prepared. Others in the spa bar were also dressed in their robes and slippers so we felt really comfortable and relaxed.

After lunch, we took our seats and awaited our treatments at the treatment rooms. My hot-stone massage was wonderful. The lady was very friendly and made me feel very confortable throughout. I felt that the 1 hour treatment was possibly cut a little bit short, given the 5 minute chat before hand and I arrived in the relaxation room at 2:50, but it was still great none-the-less!

After our treatments we went to try out the facilities, starting with the roof top hydrotherapy infinity pool. We arrived on a very cold, wet and windy winters day. We hung up our robes and the distance from warmth to the pool was absolutely freezing, but once in the pool was very nice and warm. I'd maybe suggest getting somewhere sheltered outside next to the pool to hang up your robe, due to the rain we didn't want to take our robes and leave on one of the loungers as it would get wet.

The other facilities were tepidarium, caldarium, sauna, infra red sauna, hammam steam room and aromatherapy room. The caldarium and infra red sauna didn't seem to be working, we did sit in each room but nothing happened - which was a bit of a shame. The rest great though!

After the spa, we headed back to the hotel in the shuttle bus. We were given the key to our room, which was quite some walk away, and down a little spiral staircase at the back. But the room was lovely. VERY large, with two single beds, we had requested a DVD player which was in place upon arrival. The room was very quiet and we were very happy with it.

We booked in for dinner at the Cameron Grill. As we had a deal, there was a menu which was included in our price, or we had the choice to chose from the A La Carte menu. We opted to stick without our deal. Our waiter for the night seemed new. He was friendly but seemed pretty shy, and not very confident. He took our drinks order (bottle of proseco) and asked us if we'd like some water, and then took our food order. We were half way through the starter before our prosecco arrived. He explained he had struggled to get us an ice bucket, which was okay, just a shame we had to wait so long for it. The food was delicious, really couldn't fault it. The service was good. Not fast, but not too slow either. Upon leaving, although our meal was included in the price we had to sign for the extras (prosecco) and were shocked to find we'd been charged £5.02 for a bottle of water. We didn't question this, but the option of tap water would have been fine - especially in Scotland where the water is pure and lovely to drink straight from the tap!

All in all - we had an amazing experience here, and as a very special treat we will definitely return. Everyone we spoke with staff wise was very friendly and helpful. It really is a very grand (and expensive) place so the slight negative comments are purely due tothe fact you'd expect everything to be 100% perect at such a place. I'd give 95%,. So still absolutely wonderful! Thank you Cameron House :-)

Room Tip: We had a garden-view room, which actually looked onto the carpark at the rear of the building. It wa...