“Top notch!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Newcastle, England
“Top notch!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our two night stay. Fabulous location, the bedroom included a coffee machine and a Bose sound system. Everything about the place just oozes class. All the staff we came into contact with were friendly and helpful especially the concierge who as well as parking and collecting your car were always on hand to give advice on the surrounding area if required. Noticed that some reviews identified breakfast as a problem area - we didn't have any waiting time at the entrance just encountered some 'human error'. We ordered from the menu but the waitress forgot to hand it into the kitchen. After the obvious wait the Egg Benedict with salmon came with bacon instead and when asked if we wanted toast we declined but it came anyway - along with extra toast for the delay! Frustrating for a 5 Star hotel but didn't impact on the pleasure of staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: They all look pretty good - I guess the more you pay the better they are!
1 Thank NJGNewcastle_England

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
  • Turkish first
Horncastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Loved this hotel. The decor even though a little dark for me was still beautiful and in touch with the style of the hotel. The rooms were spacious and of a high quality. The staff were courteous and helpful, especially the concierge. The food was excellent and a good variety at breakfast. Even though I did not get the opportunity to use them, the leisure facilities looked lovely. Overall an outstanding hotel who have got the detail right.

Pricing was a little expensive which is the only reason I would not stay here on a more regular basis but I will definitely return from time to time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Having spent the morning at the Carrick spa we arrived at Hotel to be checked into our rooms. The lovely Concierge Brian parked our car and another staff member organized our luggage. Fabulous welcome. We attended at our rooms and then made our way up to The Great Scots Bar - Unfortunate for us the bar was very busy and I was quite shocked by how messy the place was. Disappointed as a couple of the girls had never used this hotel before and I felt the bar let itself down with Glasses and food everywhere!!! Anyway we arranged glasses to be delivered to room and after a few phone calls they did arrive and we enjoyed a few drinks in our room. When we went for dinner at the Grill we popped back into the Bar and it was looking as fabulous as it normally does and the bar staff were very friendly and we enjoyed a bottle of wine in our surroundings. The meal in the Grill was amazing and the staff were brilliant - our waiter Stuart was very good and as it was a 40th Celebration, arranged for the cake to be delivered after meal etc. Fabulous food and Service. The rooms were lovely and the bed I could of brought home as ever so comfy. The breakfast was amazing and a great choice of food - a lovely help yourself full Breakfast with Haggis to die for!! Pancakes with bacon and maple syrup -yum yum. We used the facilities at Cameron house - the pool and sauna and steam room which was lovely (apart from a problem with lockers that would not open !!) Had coffee at the Boathouse overlooking marina and the sun was shining. Fabulous overnight stay with fabulous friends. Our favourite was Brian the Welcome he gave us and the lovely smile and cuddles made our stay !!! As extra special

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and, in the main, have always had an extremely enjoyable stay. We stayed again on Saturday there in a lovely loch view room when the place was mobbed and my wife correctly pointed out a number of areas where this is room for improvement:-

1. The hotel was completely refurbed a number of years back and they have clearly gone for the "Scots Baronial" look. This means that the main restaurant, reception etc are very dark.

2. The lighting in the rooms in the main is no more than adequate, and she complained there was no mirror for her to properly do her makeup. I'll take her word for that !

3. The shower was limp and in a 5 star hotel where you are paying 5 star prices I don't think its too much to expect a properly working power shower.

4. For the last few years the hotel has been operating a no minibar policy which frankly is ludicrous. If I want a beer in my room before going out for diner, then its nonsense that I have to order one from room service. I didn't bother.

5. Worst aspect for me was the breakfast. We went down at around 9.30 and there was already a small queue with only one person on duty to show guests to their tables. By 10.15 when were leaving however there was a queue over easily a hundred people waiting all the way down the hall, and I heard some folk at check out saying that they had to skip breakfast as they had transport arranged and could not wait any longer. Management should have dealt with the queue issues ages before they did.

As I have said, these are fairly minor gripes and we will certainly go back to this hotel again. The setting is out of this world, the staff in the main are friendly and efficient and the food good

Room Tip: Pay the small extra for a loch view and opposed to a garden view. Its night and day
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamkat1888
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

On arrival the concerieg meets you at your car and takes your bags. They also park you car which is always nice. What a building and what a location - stunning. All a bit dark inside but its sits right with the whole atmosphere of the place. The concierge explained everything we could possibly need to know and within half an hour of checking in and being shows our room we were off too Glengoynes for a wee whiskey tour. The room was lovely - opted for one of the 'feature' rooms. Amazing wet-room bathroom and stunning view from our private balcony. We were only staying one night and wish it could have been longer. The only let down was the bed - I would expect on a place of this calibre for them to have king size beds - not too singles pushed together where you can feel the join which made the night rather uncomfortable for me ...but to be fair they have acknowledged it and apologised. Oh and we arrived about an hour early and the room was ready plus they were fully booked so must have been some effort towards improvement on that front. All in all a great break.

Room Tip: Room 103 was fantastic. You have to try Martin Wisharts.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is my 3rd recent stay at the Hotel and I never posted any reviews of the last 2 but i thought i would add this.
I had originally booked a garden room deal on dinner bed and breakfast but then i opted to go for the upgrade to a whiskey suite as we had one of these rooms on our 1st stay and they were gorgeous.
We got to the Hotel for 12pm as we wanted to use the gym and then go to the Carrick Spa. We were given our Room (10) immediately (which I think is right seeing it is an extra two hundred quid for this room!!)
We used the Gym and then headed over to the spa where I had booked us both in for the Spa Experience which is 2 hours use of the steam rooms etc. I actually think 2 hours is way too long and 1 hour would be plenty.... we were out after the 1 hour... but it's lovely.
I had booked a table at Martin Wishart's but the only table i could get was 6.30pm which was fine.... quick change and we went down to the restaurant. Once again, the staff in this restaurant are outstanding and the food was wonderful..... top marks!!

The whole experience again was great except (and i say this with sadness as it was like this on our last visit and it's getting worse we think!)

Some of the staff are needing to be trained..... they are not fit to serve in a 5 star establishment! Quite rude some of them.and this is mainly down to the staff at Breakfast!
We were down for breakfast at 7.50am....(early enough) and we stood in a que at the desk to be seated..... I think we had to wait far too long (for a 5 star establishment!) And this is when there were only a handful of people in the restaurant (less than 15) so god knows why it took so long! Then the girl that took our order for toast and coffee etc.... well... she simply needs to be taken away and re-trained!!! She certainly shouldn't be serving any patrons! Her attitude stunk!! The girl at the Check - in was quite rude too....... and what about a good morning etc. from your staff??? Don't you teach them this? We stay alot at the Jumeirah Hotels in Dubai and I think if you got your staff trained like them you'd go a whole lot further for the clients (some like me, paying an absolute fortune for 1 night!)
there were other issues, at check out you gave me the wrong account (and i paid it!!) so ended up paying twice.... but it was refunded and sorted out eventually.......

Because of this, we are thinking now of trying another 5 star establishment in Scotland for our future special nights.......We have done them all..... and recently this had been our Favourite..... and it is.... but these little points need to be dealt with... as I'm sure i'm not the only one who got the 2 star treatment from some of your staff.....

Room Tip: If you can afford one of the whiskey suits............... please get one..... they are delightful...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mmpltd
Teesside
Reviewed 1 March 2014

First I have to say this is an absloutely stunning location and the hotel is great.

Positives:
Great breakfast, even thought the hotel is very busy.
Valet parking and coinceirge staff are fabulous.
Location.
Facilities.

The not so good:
Arrived at 1500hrs and told room not ready, go and wait in the bar. Having travelled several hours this was not ideal.
Service in the Great Scots bar is way below standard for a hotel of this class. Getting a drink is a bit of an art form, no drink mats or nibbles, given the price not acceptable. The bar area itself is great.
Bath was dirty, so given room not ready when we arrived was slightly annoyed by this, wiped the hairs from the bath myself as was not happy.
No tea spoons for cups of tea so again, given we had to wait over an hour to get in the room not the best level of service.
WiFi in room was not existent, but away from weekend so no biggie.

My main issue with this hotel (given the price of the rooms) is Spa access. Having stayed at a number of 5 star hotels, Spa use has been included in the room rate, or if you have a treatment.
NOT at this hotel.
If you wish to use the Spa the offical answer is pay £39 per person for the Thermal experience. I found this out whilst reading the Spa booklet, wife had a treatment booked for next day. Spoke with Resort services who stated it is clearly listed in the Spa pdf. on website. I explained it may be there but it is not clearly visible and is hidden away. Was far from happy about this. Complained and to be fair to the Resort staff they gave the wife and I complimentary access. Great for us, but the £39 fee would put me off returning.

Overall, it is a great place. staff are good, some could be better and service in the Bar is an issue.

1 Thank Simple_blokeTeesside
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel
No photo provided
Cameron House
#4 of 4 in Alexandria
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!