“Fabulous hotel, beautiful setting, lovely staff”

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Durham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel, beautiful setting, lovely staff”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We have just returned from Cameron House after a great 2 night stay. This a lovely hotel with beautiful rooms. The service was excellent. Receptionist Jennifer very polite and helpful, Concierge team James and Sam also very pleasant & helpful.

We dined at the Boathouse the first night,the Boathouse is a lovely pub, we had a couple of drinks here on the afternoon too but the restaurant food was just ok, they have a paella on the menu which we love and opted for but was really just a risotto, we were disappointed. Unfortunately the heating broke down so most the diners ate with their coats on, which was a shame but staff apologised and offered tea/coffee. The second night we ate at The Claret Jug at The Carrick, just 10 mins up the road, concierge offer a shuttle bus service to take you there. There was an indian buffet on that night, food lovely, staff lovely.

Breakfasts at Cameron House were very tasty and had lots of choice. I tried haggis for the first time and it was delicious.
The Great Scots Bar in the hotel is great place to sit and unwind with lovely views out over the Loch. Nice cocktails.

We really liked the pool area at Cameron House,it was very quiet which made it even better. Great jacuzzi, steam room & sauna.
We also went along to the Carrick Spa one afternoon, I loved the rooftop infinity pool but unfortunately 2 of the other rooms in the spa experience were out of action which was disappointing.

The weather was great when we were there, especially for march so I think it made the stay even better cos the Loch looked beautiful in the sunshine but with a bit of frost too, you could see the snow topped mountains in the background views, beautiful. I was dying to take a seaplane ride from the hotel, we are going to take our little girl next time and definitely do this.

There is a also a little shopping centre just 15-20mins walk from the hotel, which was nice to pop to for lunch. There is also a sealife centre, which would be great for kids. I think the hotel is child friendly, there are a couple of play parks.
We will definitely revisit Cameron House.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (882)
  • Turkish first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We arrived at Cameron House wth friends on a fabulous sunny March day to have a trip on the Seaplane which was amazing.
Enjoyed tea late afternoon outside the Boat House overlooking the Marina. Some tables were piled with dirty dishes and the table tops had not been cleaned.
The view over the Loch was great and the seating very comfortable for our 6 o'clock drink and nibbles. We had dinner booked in the Grill at 8.45pm Service was slow but eventually we got a drink & menus. Food was generally OK but did not live up to expectation - just warm. However a Rib eye steak was cold as was the peppercrn sauce. This was taken away only to re-appear in minutes. This dish should have been replaced and cooked from scratch not re-heated..
Overall we thought the meal and service very poor. Breakfast was an even bigger shambles The waiter mixed up the table numbers so we waited 20 minutes for tea coffee and got 1 small rack of toast 2 jams & 1 butter portion for 4 people. The cooked order came from the kitchen totally wrong We complained to a suited lady about our waiter and she said 'he's new" Sorry not our problem we were staying in a 5star hotel! Hope to hear from the food & beverage manager

Room Tip: Loch view rooms good for 1 night but A/C very noisy
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dundee
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I've literally been trying to book a room for three days. I called 3 times on Sunday. My first attempt had me on call waiting for 20 minutes before I was cut off. My second attempt had me on call waiting for 5 minutes before the call was answered to absolute silence, and after I uttered "hello?" several times I gave up. During my third call of the evening I was told that the hotel booking staff had gone home for the night.

I then tried to call on Monday and again was put on hold for 5 minutes before the phone cut off. As I was at work I didn't get a chance to phone back. Tonight I called and actually got put through to a human being - who seemed very excited to book me a room before I told her I had a itison voucher- which I had paid £160 for - then suddenly nothing was available.

After going through numerous alternative dates- I had to check the two that were available as she stoutly told me after I booked the days they were non transferable- scared I'd end up losing out on my £160 pound night stay - i told her I'd phone back. Less than 5 minutes later I phoned and was told hotel reservations were closed for the night . I asked when reservations shut and was told 8 o'clock. I had originally phoned at 9.30. (1hr 30 minutes after reservations supposedly closed.) The staff don't seem to have a clue what is going on, and it seems near impossible to book a room if you've bought a voucher (albeit an relatively expensive voucher) I still haven't booked the stay and I plan on complaining to itison about the clear negativity surrounding itison customers. Absolutely shocking behavior from a supposedly 5 star hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank angelsrushin
Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My fiancee bought me to Cameron House to celebrate my birthday. It was a really nice break and the hotel was excellent.

I must give a special mention to the concierge, I found them to be very friendly, very helpful and always happy. The hotel itself is magnificently grand and has a wonderful atmosphere. Of course, this hotel isn't cheap, but I've grown to learn that you only get what you pay for in this live, also I didn't have to pay as it was my birthday. Win-win.

On the 1st night be found that our air conditioning unit was making a noise, we mentioned it to the reception and the concierge arrived to move us to a new room within 10 minutes. Another example of excellent service.

Thanks Cameron House.

2 Thank LeeGW
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Great room and surroundings let down badly buy awful breakfast service waited for 10 minutes on menus and someone to take tea and coffee order had to go and find someone myself it took so long.. When tea and coffee did come we got 1 small pot of coffee between 3 and the toast was freezing!

Buffet breakfast food was very average and for the whole time we were in the tables next to us were not cleared... Very far from a 5 star experience!

Also we could not get drinks at the bar as they were closed at 01.00 first 5 star hotel I've been to where you can't get a drink after much debate drinks were sent to rooms with an outrageous 20% tray charge!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gordon L
Aberdeen, UK
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful weekend at Cameron House - I had always wanted to visit and it absolutely lived up to our expectations.

We arrived early but our room was ready so we were able to check straight in. The room was large with a big bed (albeit two singles zipped together), and all the extras you'd expect as well as a plate of petit fours with a card for our anniversary, which was a lovely touch.

We enjoyed using the Carrick Spa - the outdoor hot tub was fab! - and the concierges kindly drove us to and from the spa as it was further away than I had realised. We also used the pool at the hotel which was large and clean, with separate areas for children.

Dinner was at The Boathouse, which was informal with a nice atmosphere. Again the service was good and the food was delicious. Breakfast was excellent, we had been warned to expect queues but got a table straight away and everything on the buffet was of a high standard and very tasty.

All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful without being intrusive. The facilities and accommodation were all luxurious and well looked after and the scenery is wonderful, I'm sure it will be even more so when the weather is better. We can't wait to return!

1 Thank wheretonext_9
Newcastle
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful hotel. Set right by the beautiful loch, with stunning views and outstanding service. Made to feel very special from arrival and throughout our 5day stay. Decadent and very special, with an array of dining options. Will definitely return

• Stayed March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander
Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!