“Amazing !”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Amazing !”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Decided to treat myself to an overnight stay and some spa treatments - absolutely great. The infinity pool at The Carrick was incredible - it was an absolutely beautiful afternoon and the scenery was magnificent. Dinner in The Cameron Grill was good and my loch view wood was lovely. Staff were great, maybe a wee bit slow in the bar at night and at breakfast in the morning but this did not spoil the experience. Will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (882)
  • Turkish first
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on our mini moon for 2 nights.

The room was lovely with views of the loch. Homemade fudge in our room for arrival was a lovely touch.

Reception area of hotel is dark and quite gothic looking with dark strange pictures on the walls which we loved. Reception staff friendly and helpful.

Breakfast in the Cameron Grill wasn't what we expected. Lots of choice and hot items on a Buffett basis which we didn't expect from a 5* hotel but was still very nice. We did have to look for staff to ask for coffee, toast and teaspoons as no one came to our table to take our order. Not a major issue but maybe something which needs a little work. We ordered room service breakfast the second day which arrived on time and nice.

We had champagne afternoon tea which was lovely. A bit expensive but a lovely treat as a one off. Sweet and savoury mini items and warm scones with jam and cream which were delicious. They even box any left over items for you to take away.

Pool/jacuzzi item was nice to relax. Very clean and not too busy so great to chill out.

We ate at The Boathouse the first evening and Cameron Grill the second evening. Both restaurant nice but we preferred The Boathouse. We will write separate reviews for both restaurants.

We went for cocktails in the Great Scots Bar. Lovely bar but cocktails weren't very pleasant. Quite expensive and not very tasty!

All in all we had a lovely stay and would definitely stay again in the future.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Spent a night at Cameron House for my sisters hen and I can honestly say it was a perfect weekend. We used the Carrick Spa during the day for an unforgettable experience and I would highly recommend it. With a 5 minute drive from the Hotel you are welcomed into heaven - we all took the opportunity to get a massage which was amazing and then spent hours relaxing in the many pools and steam rooms. After a lovely afternoon we checked into the hotel which was swift and no problems at all, and were lead to our beautiful rooms. We ate in the Grill which again I can not fault in the slightest. Definitely a 5 star hotel and I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Watford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at Cameron House 10th to 14th March, we had amazing weather to match this wonderful location and hotel. The welcome was impressive and the room and view was everything we had hoped for. We did experience some of the issues the other reviewers had, being a very poor breakfast (1 out of 4) and the bar was a little hit or miss and really would benefit from some strong supervision to address it. However, the facilities were exceptional, the service in the Boat House excellent (especially the two David's) and the cruise on the Loch was premium on service, quality and sheer fun. We will take every opportunity to return to this special place.

1 Thank Tarnia C
united kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We drove to Cameron house after staying at the lakes, on day 3/4 of our honeymoon. We were welcomed by the hilarious concierges who took all our rubbish up our rooms and sorted the car out. Reception was efficient polite and loved the dark castle feel to the hotel , very similar to the Malmaison chain.
Room was gorgeous overlooking the loch, very quiet with big comfortable beds, sky a Tv and a bottle of champagne waiting on ice for us
The hotel was beautifully decorated , very warm and great views . We had a drink in the bar, got served pretty quick, then booked in for a meal in the Grill restaurant .
We were seated very quick , food was lovely . The only niggle is £100 for 2 people inc wine is a lot of money for some people and I felt I got more service from a harvester. Waitress seemed very disinterested but hey ho banged went her tip .
I read reviews about breakfast and I can't believe it, we had the most excellent service, nice staff, hot food loads of choice, my favourite place yet ,
Leisure area amazing too,huge pool, very clean, only second niggle is not enough beds around the pool.
I've stayed in many places and some are cold, inefficient, dirty with discontented staff , this is def not one of them

Room Tip: Go for 119 great room
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Please note that this review is 100% genuine from myself (self confessed fussy person) and my husband that is aware of the fact I would pick a fault with even minor things. We have just returned home from staying at Cameron House on Thursday 13th March for 2 nights.

SERVICE: We have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world, and the service here was by far the best service we have ever had. We originally booked a standard double room with garden view (please may I add that these rooms are fantastic). However when we got there the lady that checked us in gave us a free upgrade to the top spec room. We could not speak when we walked into the room it was fantastic, with a superb bathroom and breath taking views out over the Loch (room 105). The staff could not do anything more for us, the ideal break away from home is when you have GENUINE friendly staff to make your stay away from home worth while. My husband even had a birthday gesture of chocolates awaiting in the room.

VALUE: Even without the upgrade this hotel (whole complex) is superb value for money, the leisure facilities are great, there is something for all members of your family. When you look at the prices for this hotel it may seem a little expensive but please be ASSURED we have paid a lot more than this at other hotels and they are not even close to this value for money with regards to all aspects, rooms, location, friendly staff and the whole experience.

SLEEP QUALITY: The bed was by far the best bed we have ever slept in, I am a very fussy person and I am hard to please when it comes to comfort but this could not have been any better. The bed was very high and that was a bonus as it was sit and swing legs around. There was no disturbance noise at all and we had a super well needed full nights sleep.

CLEANLINESS: Spotless right throughout the hotel and grounds, there was staff cleaning at all times throughout our stay and that was a great reassurance to me (OCD for cleaning).

LOCATION: As soon as you enter the grounds you know that you do not need to leave them, I was speechless to say the least. You have to visit this hotel to appreciate what I am saying as I cannot explain in words here how beautiful, tranquil and yet full of activities for all the family this place is (both indoor and out).

ROOMS: As I have already said we had a free upgrade to a AMAZING room (even though the original room "standard double with garden view" is also great) our room 105 was huge, with top quality furnishings and accessories. The décor is so tranquil you can even stay in your room and enjoy the feeling of being royalty. The bathroom was a huge bonus for me, separate bath with tv on the wall, his and hers sinks with separate walk in open shower for 2. When my husband and I walked to the window we actually yelled out OMG look at the view, we could see right up the loch and we could have sat and looked out the window all day long. Room had HUGE bed with superb bedding, a large TV on the wall with DVD player, an extremely comfy and quality sofa and 2 arm chairs to just sit and wind down on, a fridge, safe, ironing board etc... It was also stocked with all the top his and hers magazines.

BREAKFAST: We never had to wait at all for breakfast, as soon as we arrived at the Cameron Grill we were greeted by once again super friendly staff who showed us to our table, and each time pointed out where all breakfast items are located and said who the person was who would be looking after us. As soon as that was said we had the person asking us if we would like tea/coffee and toast. There is a large range of items both hot and continental and they are cooked in front of you (nothing to hide). Superb service again and again.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!!
1 Thank Sharon W
Paisley
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at Cameron House on 13 March 2014, this is our second stay at the hotel in 3 months and we'll certainly be back!

On arrival the valet parking and reception staff were both attentive, courteous and very welcoming. We were then allocated an upgraded room, the views from which were simply stunning, whilst the upgraded room was hugely appreciated the garden view room we had previously was of an equally impressive standard.

We then dined within the Boat House, which I felt had a very New England look and feel to it, a lovely relaxed atmosphere. My wife had Mussels and I had Scallops, both were delicious. As it was sark outside unfortunately we did the lovely view of the Loch. The staff were attentive, tables appeared to be quickly cleared and then re-set, whilst drinks and food were also serviced without delay.

During our stay we also used the Great Scots bar, the Spa facilities and had breakfast within the Cameron Grill - all were very positive experience where the service received was of the highest standard.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Lodge on Loch Lomond
#4 of 4 in Alexandria
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!