“Nothing was too much trouble” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Nothing was too much trouble”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed here with my wife and nine friends for two nights to celebrate a friends birthday.

We had a warm welcome and the reception was smooth; arriving at 3pm our rooms were ready straight away.

Initial impressions of the rooms was very good, the view across the lake being outstanding, the porter took the time to explain all the room features to us. The quality of furniture and bedding being very good. Tea and coffee with milk was available in the room, as was an iron and a safety deposit box. The carpets were very good quality being deep and soft. The bed very comfortable. As we unpacked we found the room lacked sufficient storage space. The bathroom fittings were not of the same good quality, the taps were loose and the bathplug did not work. The shower was great but shared a wet area with the toilet, which meant the floor around the toilet was always wet after a shower. To me it seems like the bathrooms are in need of refurbishment.

Where this hotel excels is the staff who are consistently polite, friendly and helpful. Nothing was ever too much trouble and staff went out of their way to help. I forgot the combination to the safety deposit box, that was fixed within 5 minutes. I went to guest services to get advice on talking a walk up a nearby mountain, they advised a walk up Beinn Eich via Glen Luss (which was perfectly suited to the time I advised that I had), advised where I would buy a map and they also arranged taxis.

The Scots bar was exceptional, very light and airy with a nice view with plenty of comfortable seating. Prices were a little high but quality was good, the cream tea that I had there was delicious with very nice large home made scones.

Breakfast was exceptional with no queuing for a table, plenty of choice of good quality food some freshly made to order. Rather than queuing for omelettes etc, orders were brought to your table, a menu detailed what was available. About the best hotel breakfast I have ever had.

Had a very nice meal in the Boathouse, food was a little expensive but portions unexpectedly large and again very good quality, service was very good.

The health club was very good with a children's and adults pool, a large water slide, steamroom, hot jacuzzi and sauna. We went on both Saturday and Sunday mornings and it was not crowded at all. There was a gym and a room for exercise classes that we did not use. We did not feel the need to use the Spa in the Carrick as facilities here were superb.

For our friends birthday, private dinning was arranged by the hotel with pre drink cocktails in the library. The food and service on this evening was truly exceptional, we had a waiter and waitress allocated for the evening who were exceptionally friendly and attentive, ensuring that we had a night to remember.

Overall I would say this is one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in, it is let down a little by the lack of storage in the room and the bathrooms but nothing that would spoil your stay. The standard of service and ambience (without being stuffy) is where this hotel excels.

This hotel is very expensive and could never really be described as good value for money, nor I guess is it is intended to be. It is a hotel that we would visit again the future for a short stay on a special occasion, for that the hotel excels.

Room Tip: We had a loch view room which was great, try to let one close to reception to avoid long walks. Our...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maddog186460

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Turkish first
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Big, sprawling de Vere Hotel. Lots of tartan and not many lights, a good 5 minute walk to my dark and tartan bedroom - what is wrong with a few lights In a bedroom? Back to reception and a long corridor to the bar and restaurant. All rooms still have an auto-slam facility to ensure the door is closed - not welcome first thing!

But they couldn't do enough to help, valet parking, minibus to the Boathouse - all very friendly.

There is a sea plane tied up outside should the urge arise to see Loch Lomond from the air.

Will certainly return in future for a long break with Lady B.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LordBrockett
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I forgot to write a review as it has been a busy 12 months for us. We stayed in June 2013 as I decided to take my girlfriend away to propose on the banks of Loch Lomond, and let me just say it did not disappoint. She absolutely loved it (and said yes!!!). I proposed on a nice bench in front of the hotel by a sort of cove beach. The view of Loch Lomond from there was breathtaking!!

The hotel is very tastefully decorated and gives off a dramatic gothic/Scottish feel. The room was perfect and even had a loch view. It is clear a lot of time and effort went into designing/decorating it. The whole setting allows you get caught up in the romanticism of Loch Lomond and the beauty of Scotland. The rooms are furnished/kitted out to a high standard with a coffee machine and Bluetooth Bose speakers.

The restaurants are excellent too!! Ate in the main restaurant on the first night and it had a good selection of foods on offer. The price was what I would have expected to have paid bearing in mind that it is a 5 star hotel. I had duck eggs on asparagus with some type of light cheese sprinkled over it as a starter. Possibly the best starter I have ever had!!!!! Posh fish and chips for main were excellent too. It was a really nice touch when the girl who was serving us came out from the kitchen with a plate of chocolates with "congratulations" on it after she asked why we were staying. It was not expected and is a true reflection of the service they strive to provide.

The boathouse also offers an excellent choice of food with a stunning backdrop. It is decorated in a "New England" sort of decor and is really bright and fresh.

The hotel were even able to arrange sprinkled rose petals for me in the room whilst we were out at dinner, which my fiancée was completely bowled over by.

Staff were excellent and attentive to detail.

10 out of 10 and will definitely stay again. Probably my favourite hotel in the UK!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for one night as a birthday treat. Room was lovely. Decor of hotel is quite dark but really works well in creating a very Scottish, authentic and rustic feel! Had dinner in the Grill House which was fantastic. Ordered breakfast to the room in the morning which was lovely. All the staff were very friendly. Couldn't recommend enough!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Paisley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend as a special birthday present I paid for our over night Dinner bed and breakfast well in advance and had been really looking
Forward to it. We stay relatively local and although we
Had heard mix reviews these did not dampen our expectations.

Our issues started almost as we arrived there was a
Wedding party at the main door and we were ushered
In a side door leading to a very dark and somber reception, where they promptly charged my DD £100
Great welcome I thought. I have no doubt the wedding
Party had paid a lot of money for their stay but so had we a small issue but still annoying even now. Felt like we were using the trade mans entrance to be honest not a great start I though to myself, even with the gents in their Plus fours who were on the other hand very good.

Room was good standard double clean not overly big had paid for a loch view which was duly outstanding.
The dark decor not to my choice but I suppose they are
Trying to make in keeping with the original building.
Reception area far to dark and unwelcoming.

Scots bar and leisure complex a must see impressed
With both and had no issues here staff very welcoming
And very friendly, breakfast in the morning was simply
Outstanding the choice decor staff and quality never disappointed.

Our meal - had passed the boathouse many a time and
Again having heard mixed reviews decided to leave it until our stay. We booked our table weeks before our stay and again were duly look forward to it. The decor unlike the hotel is light and welcoming, staff were
Very good and to be honest the plus point of the visit.
Having booked a package we asked the staff how the meal worked, it turned out that the package included
a limit of £35 per person having paid a small fortune to stay I was really surprised by this but as they say when in Rome .

Our mains plus a standard bottle of white started us off at £75 that was before starters, desert and side we were advice to have as the mains can be small.
Service, food all ok if limited and very over priced for
what u get. They rub salt into the wounds by charging a 10% service charge !!!! There is a restaurant 5min walk for the main entrance that is far better both in choice and price with even better views of the loch staff here also first class. Initials D.B much better.

I doubt we will stay here again like many of my friends
It was a lets down looking back by no means worth the
Final bill we paid, as for the £100 card I got the princely sum of £6.35 back. Will never return to the boathouse far better just round the corner DB. Did fill in an online comment card and as of yet still to receive a reply.
All in all very overpriced and left feeling slightly under whelmed. Ended up in DB for lunch to lift our spirits.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alan M
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We got married here in May 2014 and the experience was incredible. Cameron House is a wonderful hotel, the 'modern scottish' decor is incredible, the food is fantastic and the setting is near perfect. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a two night break in a loch view room, stunning view and lovely room. Ate in the Grill the first night, gorgeous meal if a little smokey with our table close by the pass. Service matched the fabulous steak.
Ate in The Boathouse the next night, supposedly a Loch Fyne seafood restaurant, they don't do the seafood on the board anymore. Best described as child friendly pub food. Service awful, sat down at 8:35 having waited for our table and our drinks order for 30 minutes, eventually got our mains at 10:00!!!! Not good quality, either burnt and crispy garlic bread or soggy inedible onion rings and pizza. They did give us complimentary coffee and sweets but we were too tired and beyond caring for the sweets. Will not be back to this restaurant.
However we will return to the hotel and try the leisure facilities and golf that we missed out on this visit.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#11 of 96 in Glasgow
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,515 reviews

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!