“Tranquility at Cabanas el Rucio”
Review of Cabanas El Rucio

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penuelas
Cabanas El Rucio
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I've been to Cabanas several times and Im very happy to say I will be going there again in June I was very happy to eat fresh oranges every day ( which I sometimes picked by myself) as well as plantains. The fresh crisp air of the mountains is a treat -especially for us "city folks"-not to mention the breath taking views in the morning. A very peaceful retreat

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 April 2013

I just booked my flight to Ponce for June and I will be staying at El Rucio. I absolutely love this place. It's not fancy- it's like summer camp for grown ups! I'm Dominican so the fact that a VARIETY of platanos are grown on site and I can cook and eat as many as I want, makes this a DESTINATION. It's not for people who are picky-icky about bugs and things. It's for people who love nature. There is a beautiful river down hill from them which is the perfect place to sit and drink beer and tan....oh I can't wait!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I am sad to say that our experience at the Cabanas El Rucio was just like baltofed's a few days earlier. The place looked like a derelict trailer park. We arrived earlier in the afternoon than we had intended. There was no-one available although loud music was coming from one of the cabanas. We phoned the caretaker but there was no answer. Around 20 minutes later we phoned again and she answered in Spanish. She understood we had arrived at the cabanas and said she would come over. We waited for more than one hour, no-one came and we decided to leave. As we drove down the trackway and reached the entrance the caretaker lady arrived. She was unsmiling, far from welcoming and made it clear that we were being a nuisance. After we opened the gate for her she drove past us and up to the cabana from where the music had been coming without speaking to us and went in. After a few minutes we decided to follow her inside. The place was absolutely filthy with manky sanitary equipment, dead insects and what looked like animal droppings. Quite frankly it was a health risk. We decided to leave at once. The owner had demanded payment of the whole cost of the stay in advance via PayPal. When we returned home we wrote to him asking for the refund of our money and have written twice more since then. He has failed to respond at all even though he was very quick to reply to queries before we paid him.

If you're thinking of staying here think again. The place is a health risk and a rip off.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JW10050
Armandopacheco, Manager at Cabanas El Rucio, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

This client arrived at our place 5 hours before the check in time that we had agreed upon. We were finishing cleaning up their cabin because another client had checked out 30 minutes before. That client was there for 5 days and he never complained of any dirtiness or animal dropping. The attendant had gone to her house which is located nearby to have some lunch because we were not expecting anyone until 5pm. She have left all the cleaning utensils and detergents in the room to continue cleaning after lunch. She was shocked to see that the client had arrived and she got nervous because although she understands some English the accent of the client was different from the English taught in Puerto Rico. She was telling the client that it was too early, to give her sometime to finish cleaning. The client didn't want to understand and was rude, disrespectful and left never to come back. We left the key on the door of his cabin for 2 days until we realized that he wasn't returning. We are sorry that he didn't give us a chance to show him how well we treat people.

Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

A shower without a showerhead. Property marred by eyesores like a tipped-over fridge filled with dirt and weeds. A mattress covered in cheap plastic, so that it made crunching noises anytime I moved. A caretaker who was supposed to introduce herself to me the morning after I arrived, but didn't (even though I waited for her until 10am.) She didn't introduce herself at all, even though I was there 4 days, rarely left before 9am, and usually came back by 8pm. Bizarre incident that demonstrated total lack of customer service or common sense: Early afternoon - requested a blanket - nights were the mid-60s and the cabin is unheated. The only 'blanket' there was a fleece 'throw' ( 41" x 67" IKEA 'Sommar'). Was told a blanket would be brought to my cabin. Returned at 10pm - there was no blanket. It took a series of 5 phone calls and 10+ text messages to finally get a blanket (an hour later). During this time, I found out that if you need anything, you have to call the caretaker, who will hang up on you if you can't make your needs known in Spanish, and she will then not answer the phone if you call back, even if you look up the Spanish, and leave a reasonable voicemail. Was told that the caretaker does not like to enter guest's rooms when they are not there. The caretaker lives 10 minutes away and does not drive at night. So, it seems that if you need anything at all during your stay, it has to be during the day, and you must remain on the property to get it. At one point, I was told I needed to drive to the caretaker's house to pick up a blanket. Then I was told it was my fault for wanting something I shouldn't have needed. Absolutely ridiculous experience!

• Stayed: February 2013
Armandopacheco, Manager at Cabanas El Rucio, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

We did all we could for this client. We upgraded her from a $50 per night room to a $70 per night villa withour charging her any extra money. We gave her the same blankets that we give every customer. We didn't want to enter her room because she was by herself and she wasn't amicable. Common sense told us to keep our distance. The refrigerator that she mentiioned is used by one of the workers to plant oregano that we give free of charge to our customers. That refrigerator is located in a restricted area around 300 feet from her villa. That's what she called weeds. The night that she asked for the extra blanket she appeared to be under the infuence of alcohol. She is right about the shower lack of a shower head. Our water is pure spring water and it carries sediment that clogs the shower heads easily. We are farmers and we are located in a 120 acres farm in a rural area of Penuelas, PR. I guess we have to do even more to please everyone.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

I recomend thi beautiful place. It's natural resourves, the different fruit trees available to it's guess and the river to enjoy. Not to forget those beautiful mountains that surround El Rucio.
I love being there.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank laheavy
Armandopacheco, Manager at Cabanas El Rucio, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Thank you Emma. Hope to see your group around again. The oranges, plantains, avocadoes, bananas, and the roosters are waiting for you. Take care.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Best place to stay in Puerto Rico, amazing place, beautiful, good people.A++++++++++

Room Tip: They all good