“Awesome retreat from the hustle and bustle.”
Review of Cabanas El Rucio

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penuelas
Cabanas El Rucio
New York, New York, United States
“Awesome retreat from the hustle and bustle.”
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Had a great time. Spent a week in one of the newly constructed cabin. It was great. I travel with my private chef (mom) and she had everything she needed on site for whipping up amazing meals with platanos, breadfruit, bannanas, lemongrass and all sorts of things growin right there within our reach. Tons of great beaches are nearby. As well as a supermarket. And if you dont want to drive there is a friendly, safe taxi service available. Had the best nap of my life in a hammock on the porch. I highly recommend it. Oh and dont mind the spiders or cobwebs outside the windows! The cabins and grounds are blessedly free of mosquitos or flies. I am relaxed and recharged after a week at this beautiful retreat!

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Kihani B

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Carlisle
Reviewed 18 April 2013

If you want to rough it in the country, one step up from camping, then this place might be for you. Armando is very friendly, and will describe the fruit trees, and you can learn about life in the country. However, the website’s description statement of being able of pick fruit for your breakfast, was not quite accurate, since none of the fruit was in season when we were here in mid-April. (More is ripe in summer.) Even the bananas, which are year-round fruit, were unavailable, as the ripe ones had recently been picked by earlier visitors, and all that was left was green. We wanted to arrive before dark, as this place would be hard to find, but there is no place nearby to go out to eat dinner. The nearest grocery store and take-out fastfood is about 6 miles away down the windy, hilly road (where you can only go around 20 mph). For a family of four, it was nice to have a room with three full/double beds (two as a bunkbed), which beats a hotel rollaway bed, and cost far less. But there was little room in the cabin for our luggage and no table or nightstand. There was soap and towels, but no shampoo. It would be a nice place for a family with children who like nature, camping, hiking trails, and family time together. It was peaceful, but the roosters crowing very early in the morning can be disruptive. Note that you have to provide the time of your arrival in order to be greeted and let into your room, as the owner or staff on not onsite all the time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Armandopacheco, Manager at Cabanas El Rucio, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Thank you for being with us. You rented the most economical of our cabins which cost you only $60. including taxes for 3 beds and a kitchen. You had rented 2 nights and then you canceled one. We have upscale cabins with AC and Direct TV. You arrived at our place at 5pm. If you wanted a tour of the 115 acres farm you had to arrive early and pay a tour guide. Check out time is at 12 noon so you had time to walk the farm on your own as I told you personally. Bananas must be picked green because the birds, chickens, hawks, parrots, mice and other animals will eat them on the tree. I told you that you can boil green bananas and eat them like potatoes. We have other tropical fruits in the farm but if you dont hire a tour guide you will not know what they are and how to eat them. We also cook for our customers but we need to know what you want to eat and we collect the payment before you arrive. We buy all the food fresh and we try to grow as much organic food as we can. We are located in the rural area of Penuelas, PR and we love our tranquility, our roosters, our clean river, our humble neighbors, and our low prices.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I've been to Cabanas several times and Im very happy to say I will be going there again in June I was very happy to eat fresh oranges every day ( which I sometimes picked by myself) as well as plantains. The fresh crisp air of the mountains is a treat -especially for us "city folks"-not to mention the breath taking views in the morning. A very peaceful retreat

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I just booked my flight to Ponce for June and I will be staying at El Rucio. I absolutely love this place. It's not fancy- it's like summer camp for grown ups! I'm Dominican so the fact that a VARIETY of platanos are grown on site and I can cook and eat as many as I want, makes this a DESTINATION. It's not for people who are picky-icky about bugs and things. It's for people who love nature. There is a beautiful river down hill from them which is the perfect place to sit and drink beer and tan....oh I can't wait!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I am sad to say that our experience at the Cabanas El Rucio was just like baltofed's a few days earlier. The place looked like a derelict trailer park. We arrived earlier in the afternoon than we had intended. There was no-one available although loud music was coming from one of the cabanas. We phoned the caretaker but there was no answer. Around 20 minutes later we phoned again and she answered in Spanish. She understood we had arrived at the cabanas and said she would come over. We waited for more than one hour, no-one came and we decided to leave. As we drove down the trackway and reached the entrance the caretaker lady arrived. She was unsmiling, far from welcoming and made it clear that we were being a nuisance. After we opened the gate for her she drove past us and up to the cabana from where the music had been coming without speaking to us and went in. After a few minutes we decided to follow her inside. The place was absolutely filthy with manky sanitary equipment, dead insects and what looked like animal droppings. Quite frankly it was a health risk. We decided to leave at once. The owner had demanded payment of the whole cost of the stay in advance via PayPal. When we returned home we wrote to him asking for the refund of our money and have written twice more since then. He has failed to respond at all even though he was very quick to reply to queries before we paid him.

If you're thinking of staying here think again. The place is a health risk and a rip off.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JW10050
Armandopacheco, Manager at Cabanas El Rucio, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
This client arrived at our place 5 hours before the check in time that we had agreed upon. We were finishing cleaning up their cabin because another client had checked out 30 minutes before. That client was there for 5 days and he never complained of any dirtiness or animal dropping. The attendant had gone to her house which is located nearby to have some lunch because we were not expecting anyone until 5pm. She have left all the cleaning utensils and detergents in the room to continue cleaning after lunch. She was shocked to see that the client had arrived and she got nervous because although she understands some English the accent of the client was different from the English taught in Puerto Rico. She was telling the client that it was too early, to give her sometime to finish cleaning. The client didn't want to understand and was rude, disrespectful and left never to come back. We left the key on the door of his cabin for 2 days until we realized that he wasn't returning. We are sorry that he didn't give us a chance to show him how well we treat people.
Baltimore
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

A shower without a showerhead. Property marred by eyesores like a tipped-over fridge filled with dirt and weeds. A mattress covered in cheap plastic, so that it made crunching noises anytime I moved. A caretaker who was supposed to introduce herself to me the morning after I arrived, but didn't (even though I waited for her until 10am.) She didn't introduce herself at all, even though I was there 4 days, rarely left before 9am, and usually came back by 8pm. Bizarre incident that demonstrated total lack of customer service or common sense: Early afternoon - requested a blanket - nights were the mid-60s and the cabin is unheated. The only 'blanket' there was a fleece 'throw' ( 41" x 67" IKEA 'Sommar'). Was told a blanket would be brought to my cabin. Returned at 10pm - there was no blanket. It took a series of 5 phone calls and 10+ text messages to finally get a blanket (an hour later). During this time, I found out that if you need anything, you have to call the caretaker, who will hang up on you if you can't make your needs known in Spanish, and she will then not answer the phone if you call back, even if you look up the Spanish, and leave a reasonable voicemail. Was told that the caretaker does not like to enter guest's rooms when they are not there. The caretaker lives 10 minutes away and does not drive at night. So, it seems that if you need anything at all during your stay, it has to be during the day, and you must remain on the property to get it. At one point, I was told I needed to drive to the caretaker's house to pick up a blanket. Then I was told it was my fault for wanting something I shouldn't have needed. Absolutely ridiculous experience!

• Stayed February 2013
Armandopacheco, Manager at Cabanas El Rucio, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
We did all we could for this client. We upgraded her from a $50 per night room to a $70 per night villa withour charging her any extra money. We gave her the same blankets that we give every customer. We didn't want to enter her room because she was by herself and she wasn't amicable. Common sense told us to keep our distance. The refrigerator that she mentiioned is used by one of the workers to plant oregano that we give free of charge to our customers. That refrigerator is located in a restricted area around 300 feet from her villa. That's what she called weeds. The night that she asked for the extra blanket she appeared to be under the infuence of alcohol. She is right about the shower lack of a shower head. Our water is pure spring water and it carries sediment that clogs the shower heads easily. We are farmers and we are located in a 120 acres farm in a rural area of Penuelas, PR. I guess we have to do even more to please everyone.
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I recomend thi beautiful place. It's natural resourves, the different fruit trees available to it's guess and the river to enjoy. Not to forget those beautiful mountains that surround El Rucio.
I love being there.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank laheavy
Armandopacheco, Manager at Cabanas El Rucio, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Thank you Emma. Hope to see your group around again. The oranges, plantains, avocadoes, bananas, and the roosters are waiting for you. Take care.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penuelas
Parador Villas Sotomayor
Hotel Melia Ponce
Hotel Melia Ponce
#6 of 7 in Ponce
Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino

Been to Cabanas El Rucio? Share your experiences!