“Fabulous place and fantastic hosts”
Review of Le Chant d'Oiseau

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mouliherne
Le Chant d'Oiseau
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Exactly the sort of site we were looking for; warm and friendly hosts, small but great facilities, great hosts with a sense of community, we really couldn't recommend it highly enough if you don't want all the trappings of a big site.

We will be back!

P.s. take a visit to Saumur to the Veuve Amiot Wine tour, its fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoeHi87

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We received a very warm welcome from Stu & Syb after we booked a pitch for a night last minute while on the road as part of our campervan tour of france.

They had just had a deluge of rain so only part of the site was useable, but they managed to squeeze us on and we had a great time. We were made to feel really welcome and their site is lovely. Well maintained and we had a great time meeting the other campers over Stu's brilliant pizzas and that made it even better.

We'll be back and this time we'll book in advance and spend longer than the one night!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Campsites mean different things to different people and it all depends on what you value as to how you find a particular site. We value nice people, fun and beauty and we found all three at Le Chant, with a wonderful welcome and a cup of tea! The size of the site makes it easy to meet and talk with everyone.

Our daughter Ellie (3 1/2) made new friends from the other campers and was safe and happy around the campsite and in the play area. This also made for a relaxing time for us. We also enjoyed swimming in the pool. The pizza evening was great fun and unexpected as the site was quite quiet when we arrived and then suddenly filled up with new arrivals which was great. The Kampers Kitchen was also very welcome as was the fridge in making life just a little easier.

In terms of the area, there is so much to do within a short driving distance we visited Saumur and lots of Chateaux and swam in the river near Cande Saint-Martin. Also Chinon Castle is a fantastic day out with their excellent interpretation and their 'dragon' theme this year.

So all in all, we were very sad to leave and to head home, but very much hope to come back again as there is so much left to explore!

Mark, Lizzy & Ellie

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We loved the campsite at Le Chant as it is very natural and has a good choice of shade and sunshine, which is great if you have young children. The swimming pool and facilites are ample and if you are a seasoned camper would be fine. Even though there are only two showers, I did not have to wait once and did not have to wait for use of the washing up sinks. The majority of the campers were British which was great for the children and they made lots of friends, and we felt they were very safe as the campsite is completely contained. The only negative comment I have (which I am a little bit scared about saying due to the responses on other reviewer's comments) is that to shout (and it was shouting) at people's children for being children (especially after a 13 hr journey) is not acceptable. It is probably best to approach the parents first so they can speak to their own individual children and discipline them respectively. I do not want to dwell on this fact but I really did find it intimidating and was worried about my children making any noise/playing for the rest of our time spent on the campsite. I loved the campsite, loved the communal food nights and Stu and Syb are really hardworking,genuine, pleasant people. However, I would be extremely anxious if I ever had to make a complaint about the campsite due to the response I may receive. This would concern me if I was to return to Le Chant.

Other than that, the campsite was lovely and I would return......maybe when the children are a little older though!

16  Thank Catherine W
Stu49390, Owner at Le Chant d'Oiseau, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Hi Cath. Thanks for taking the time to review your stay here at Le Chant.

Firstly, let me apologise for 'shouting' at your kids. But let me explain why, and give you some background that you may not be aware of. We know your kids were excited, we know you'd had a long journey. But you in turn know that on the night in question, pizza night, that the kids from the gites and the campsite were running around, shouting at the tops of their voices and climbing the tree that grows through the middle of the play area. It wasn't just your kids, it was ALL of the kids. It was also dark by this point, and we felt it was unsafe. I'd actually asked them all twice before to calm down. On the third occasion, I had to shout to be heard above the noise they were making. This I did while some parents looked on, but chose to do nothing. I was cooking pizzas, and I didn't have the time to individually visit various gites and tents, asking parents to keep their kids' noise at an acceptable level. It's also worth noting that Syb had, just a few minutes previously, been to ask parents to ask their kids to quieten down. A not unreasonable request, given the time, but she was ignored. Also, we had two sets of guests on site that didn't have children of their own, and had informed us that they'd be leaving earlier than planned, due to the levels of child noise both in the morning, and at night, when all they wanted to do was relax outside their tents with a glass of wine, listening to the crickets. We have the unenviable task of having to try & please everyone. Not just those with kids.

As the owners of the site, we have to do what we believe is right for everyone on site. I myself have been in the position where I've told parents that I wasn't happy with the way their kids were behaving. Look where that got me - you can read the 'review' from Lionel Flair on here.

Owning Le Chant isn't easy. Listening to the constant screaming of kids from late June to early September isn't easy either. But we do it, letting parents check their kids when needed. Most times, they'll stop for a minute or two, then continue, while mum & dad turn a blind eye. If, however, it's the owner that tells them off, even by shouting (I prefer to call it 'raising my voice'), then they tend to take more notice! Other parents have actually commented that they'd prefer someone 'in authority' told their kids off, and believe it or not, I don't like being placed in this position. I'd prefer that parents took responsibility for their own kid's behaviour. That said, I'm definitely not afraid to step in when the situation demands it, and especially when it's a safety issue.

The morning after, you noticed that we'd put up a poster, asking that parents kept their kids off the play area before 9am, and after 9pm. This, as a response to the unacceptable noise levels that we had complaints about from others on site.

You may have seen one party leave the morning after. These were long-standing returning guests who chose not to write in our guest book when asked by Syb. When asked why not, they replied that all they could think about at that moment was the noise from the kids. So, we may well have lost those guests from returning. That saddens us immensely.

So you see, we're damned if we do, and we're damned if we don't. We're only human, just the same as you, the difference being that your reactions to certain situations aren't 'reviewed' on TripAdvisor.

Despite all of this, we would like to see you and the family return one day, and please don't feel afraid of raising any concerns you may have. We don't bite, and it's by chatting with us that small concerns don't develop into reviews that may seem unfair on us, and the situations we're often placed in, which are most definitely not of our choosing.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We've stayed three times at Le Chant and each time Stu and Syb have added new touches to make life more comfortable for their guests. They both work very hard, you don't often find owners with a genuine interest in the comfort and welfare of campers, but this place is it.

Place your bread order each night and it's delivered the following morning. Very reasonable and a good range of breakfast pastries etc plus bread for the day.

The meal/pizza/foee nights are superb, there is a real congenial atmosphere at these occasions, you feel you can just talk to anyone, it's mainly English people on site but we were talking to a lovely lady from Vermont on our last night there.

Try to ignore some of the unreasonable reviews on here, this is a genuine couple offering a great service. If we lived in the South we would visit much more often, unfortunately it's a six hour drag to the tunnel from the frozen North!

Keep up the good work my little wazzows!

3  Thank Bassdrummer
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had a long journey and were warmly met by Stu & syb. we were shown around the gîte which was well equipped and gorgeous,with exposed beams etc, we were left a fresh baguette some cheese and butter along with milk and best of all a carafe if wine ! The pool is lovely for the kids and the meal nights are a fantastic way of everyone coming together and socialising, the campsite is set in an idyllic location, it is what it says full of rustic charm so don't expect perfection just expect a couple if great hosts who go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank doog1000r
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Le Chant is defiantly the place to go, our second year visiting and it pains me to tell all for fear of not being able to get a booking the next time we visit! Stu & Syb really do make this what it is, they work so so hard all for our holiday which is in fact in their garden. When you arrive you get offered a cuppa that Syb makes it is defiantly a treat, the campsite has only 10 pitches which makes meeting like minded people very easy or if you would rather keep yourself to yourself that works too, the wildlife is fantastic, birds and this year in particular a very colourful selection of Dragon flies. They have a camping kitchen which is full to bursting from lots of information of the surrounding area along with cooker, fridge freezer and lots lots more. Their is a pool which has steps going into it and when you are finished you are asked to put the steps away as a smaller child may get into difficulty. The campsite has gates which are always kept closed so it ok to let little ones wander. The shower block has two showers one also has a toilet and another single toilet, you are asked to wipe down the floor after having a shower just helps it be clean for the next person. Stu & Syb also offer meal nights which Syb cooks in her own kitchen and I am often at the envy of the surrounding dinners as I have the vegetarian option............delicious!!! Their is also pizza which is cooked on their own homemade bread oven where they also cook fouee, you can never have enough fouee another delight, which leads me onto my one and only complaint !!! The cancelling of fouee on our arriving night because of someone's birthday...........Syb really! Although I think we had enough the next Sunday or one person defiantly did whom we ALL no who. Fantastic and great friends thanks again you both do a truly wonderful thing. We will be back if I ever eventually work out my "left" from my "right"!!!x

3  Thank southnessie

Been to Le Chant d'Oiseau? Share your experiences!