“LA DOLCE VITA!”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Castiadas
New York, New York, United States
“LA DOLCE VITA!”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

What an amazing stay we had at the Villa Del Re!!! It's stunning in every way. Think Four Seasons resort quality and you get the picture. Every room has an ocean view and the private beach is stunning. The staff is AMAZING!!! We were pampered and cared for every step of the way. They seem to anticipate your every want and desire. It's quiet and offers 360 degrees of beauty. The food is also excellent. This area of Sardinia is the REAL Sardinia. Sure you can visit the jet set snobs that bob off the shore in their super yachts at Costa Smerelda, but why travel to Italy for that, when you can get lost in the low Key Eden that is La Villa Del Re.

2 Thank Damien G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2014

This hotel exceeded our expectations. The beach was one of the best I've been to with ample chairs and umbrellas for all the guests. The staff was wonderful and had great recommendations for offsite meals. I would highly recommend this hotel for those looking for a relaxing beach vacation.

1 Thank caliny14
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We have spent 7 wonderful days in this new hotel. Everybody was so kind and they have always tried to make our stay exceptional. The reception team, the housekeeping team, the beach team, the restaurant team, managed by the fantastic Alessandro were all great. Mr. Caruso, the general manager was always present to attend to every single detail. Many foreign languages are spoken by the staff and we never had a single problem although we don’t speak Italian. The beach and the sea are exceptional, better than some Caribbean islands that I have been. The swimming pool is, also, very good and not really used as all the guests prefer to be in the beach. We had taken a junior suite, which was very spacious despite the extra bed for our daughter. We had a gorgeous bathroom with a huge bathtub. The food and the wine list in the restaurant were both very good and very reasonably priced. During a week, we were never bored by eating in the same restaurant, as the menu is changing daily and the Chef is ready to prepare something which is not in the menu. The hotel is much better than what you in the website. The hotel can be reached by a very comfortable route in 50 minutes from the Cagliari Airport. We had booked transportation from the hotel and we had a very nice Mercedes Van driven by a very kind driver. We are looking forward to return for a longer stay the next summer.

Room Tip: We stayed in the suite 209, which is larger than other suits but the terrace is smaller.
1 Thank HA1966
FrancoCarusoGM, General Manager at La Villa del Re - Adults Only Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your kind words on La Villa del Re and our staff.
I pleasantly remember the conversation we had on a warm August morning during which you kindly shared your vision of our hotel and service, as well as other suggestions which I subsequently put into practice.
My aim is to create in this part of Sardinia a place which offers a friendly atmosphere to the discerning traveller who is able to enjoy their holiday and above all to relax.
I am glad to learn that regardless of some quirkiness, which is typical of a hotel which has just opened, we managed to offer you a pleasant experience to the point that you will be returning to visit us next year.
Looking forward to greeting you once again.

Kind regards.
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

1.I arrived at about 11am, but was told I would be notified as soon as my room was ready.
2.By 4pm after waiting on the beach I went to reception only to be told they didn't want to disturb me by informing my room was ready?
3.The room had no sea view as per my booking, so after a four hour wait, I had to move rooms!
4.I was given no internet code.
5.The next day at the reception desk a couple arrived at 1:15pm and were given their room immediately plus the internet code!
6.THE ONLY INFORMATION I WAS GIVEN WAS I NEED TO BOOK FOR DINNER..
7.Dinner was overpriced and tasteless, sad fish with dry grated potato on top..and soggy spinach underneath... Nothing Italian on the menu...
7.We found the most delicious pasta with warm hospitality at the beach hut ten min walk along the beach, cheep and recommended by the locals!
8.Breakfast ... They made me wait over an hour for fried eggs, they forgot, then rushed out some oily plate of sad eggs, by now I lost hope!
9. No information is given to me regarding excursions!
10.No eating allowed at the pool or beach!
11.Manger himself rushed out to the beach and yelled at me and accused me of taking someone's chair!
12. Apparently the hidden RULE is if a folded unused towel is left on a chair it means it's booked!
13. I Thought this was a private FREE beach why is this even allowed!
14.My solution was to pull another two chairs forward the reply I got was NO it's the law they can't be moved... Ha ha the law you can move a beach chair..!
15. Staff and manager are just not geared for International guesses, they have no clue, you have all these laws of where to eat and sit but no information no poolside bar or menu or lust if excursions in your room book.
16. All you get is a pretty hotel like and no free advice on where to go and what to see, I only realised they have ice cream on the beach or bicycles in my second last day...even though they saw me walk to the shop in the boiling heat everyday!
17.my list could go on but I tyres to tell the manger my issues and he just yelled at me over the chair do I know the response to this will be the same...so my advise here is rather for future people looking to book this hotel, think twice about it!
18. I would like to thank Isabella your a wonderful person and you did try to rectify things...

Stayed August 2014
28 Thank Nonody
FrancoCarusoGM, Direttore generale at La Villa del Re - Adults Only Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Guest,

on the contrary to what I previously wrote to another guest, who had written an encyclopedia rather than a review, today I am obliged to answer each of the points you raise because with yet another extended list, I would not like readers to think that I am not open to discussion.

Nevertheless, when I read your observations, neatly listed in 18 bullet points, I note that you are confusing our hotel with other experiences using them as a means of comparison.

It is therefore necessary to make a bit of clarity:

1-communication regarding room availability and an internet code
2-lack of communication of general information, the local area and excursions
3-choice of food which you disliked and a long waiting time
4-regulations pertaining to the beach facilities

Let's analyse them one by one to understand why you are such a hard judge of our services:

1-As a standard procedure, our hotel places at the disposal of guests a changing room and a deposit so that guests can arrive before the check-in time and still make use of the beach without losing even one minute of their vacation time. This service is not to be confused with the changing rooms down at the beach.

At 15.00 hours your room was ready. This was not communicated, as you state in your review, not to disturb you. Since you were sleeping under the umbrella it did not seem appropriate to us to do so.

Of course this was a mistake on our part, because such a sensible act from our staff was in fact misinterpreted in a negative manner. We have learned from this and will now take provisions to let the client know at once even at the risk of disturbing him or her.

Your reaction to this was so harsh that this incident resulted in the front desk staff rushing the check-in and omitting information which should have been offered such as the internet code which was nevertheless brought to your attention immediately after.

2-In regards to general information on the area, we have a reception with 3 people always available to share any kind of information and concierge assistance. They are very approachable and willing to assist in any way. All you needed to do was to approach them during the course of your stay and ask for any information that you may have required.

I find it necessary to provide to readers of this post a clear insight to the situation, otherwise, this comes across as a personal argument with no positive contribution to this forum.

Having stated so far that on the day of arrival you were offered a room only at 16.00 hours and no information on services and excursions was provided, in reading our log-book it appears that you booked a horse riding excursion for you daughter, which was also re-booked the following day and on the last day you also booked a boat excursion.

My question comes spontaneously: if we were so lacking in providing any information on excursions how is it possible that you managed to book these services?

3- On the issue of the restaurant, I would like to advise you that during the same period you were staying with us we received some very positive feedback on the restaurant and it's good value and also some less positive comments. I can understand that when it comes to cuisine, subjective taste plays a large roll, as well as many other variables which just cannot be answered in a few lines. The fact remains that you did not like your dinner and I take note of this and apologize.

As for the wait at breakfast, I have already addressed this point with another reviewer and have since made changes to the service we provide. Obviously, I consider your wait of 1 hour for some eggs more of a pun than a real occurrence.

4-The issue of the beach I have left for last because, having had to deal with this in person (and with great embarassment), I was able to better understand your character and therefore even the repercussions which would evolve.

On a particular morning, you personally removed the towels of a family of 4 people, from the sun beds. These guests were early risers and were often the first on the beach to take advantage of the morning sun and to go for long walks. Sure, they had come early and were able to choose their sunbeds in the front row. The fact that they were not physically present under the umbrella does not give you the right to come and remove their towels so that you can take up their space. This resulted in a reaction by these guests and my consequent intervention. From here your reaction: "I am not moving from here and you will have to take me away using force!". Another two families who experienced this most unpleasant scene helped me to resolve the situation by volunteering to move to another part of the beach.

To follow this unpleasant occurrence, there where a whole series of petty issues such as an argument which arose during your boat trip with other guests, not to mention also other situations.

It is obvious that a hotelier must do his absolute best in order to efficiently run a hotel, and if we make a mistake we will recognize it and use it as a lesson for the future, but when faced with such a difficult character and with reviews which act more as a form of punishment rather that a will to rectify an anomaly, I really believe that I was left with no choice than to express my view of this unfortunate encounter, leaving as always, the final judgement up to the reader.

La Villa del Re
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just stay for short time but we had amazing holiday.
Very good wellcome from staff.
Rich n full choices on breakfast buffet even if the service was a bit slow and not well organized. Dinner very good and organized service, just we had a problem of misunderstandings each other in English with the Manager...overall all staff was polite and helpful specially Gicomo, Albert and someone else we can't remember his name, sorry! Amazing food.
For sure will come back next year!

• Stayed August 2014
FrancoCarusoGM, Direttore generale at La Villa del Re - Adults Only Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your contribution on this forum in regards to the Villa del Re.

We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and are planning on returning next year as this is an indication that, although we have only just opened, our efforts are going in the right direction.

During the course of the season we have worked on modifying and fine tuning services in many departments in order to improve the level of service. What you lament in terms of slowness of service at the breakfast was a consequence of a "hot" breakfast menu which was just too complex and resulting in a slower service which we realize is not convenient at breakfast.

We have already modified this service and the waiting time has now been drastically reduced.

It is always thanks to the contribution of our guests that we are able to improve our service and therefore your comment was much appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Kind regards,

La Villa del Re
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Although the hotel is only a few months new and they still need to build the gym, spa, rooftop restaurant and beach restaurant, our stay here was still amazing. The room was beautiful - very nice aesthetics - and had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. It looked like every room had a perfect ocean view. The service was it's strongest asset with staff from front desk to the restaurant bending over backwards to ensure your stay was nothing less then perfect. I can't speak highly enough of the staff where no request was too much. Food was high quality and the pool and ocean can't be beat. It really felt like we were staying some place special. We will return and look forward to enjoying the spa and gym that they plan to open next summer.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HennaCM
UK
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Absolutely stunning resort! We had an absolutely brilliant holiday, highly recommend this hotel for total relaxation, with a stunning beach and turquoise waters. I just have one word to sum up our stay at this hotel ... FantasticO!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RS22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castiadas
Pullman Timi Ama Sardegna
#2 of 14 in Santa Margherita di Pula
Hotel Marinedda Thalasso & Spa
Galanias Hotel & Retreat Domos Galanas
Forte Village Resort - Hotel Castello
Forte Village Resort - Hotel Cas...
#1 of 14 in Santa Margherita di Pula
La Bitta Arbatax
La Bitta Arbatax
#1 of 12 in Arbatax

Been to La Villa del Re - Adults Only Hotel? Share your experiences!