Thanda Safari Lodge
US$313
  • Breakfast included
Ghost Mountain Inn(Mkuze)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$96
US$106
Protea Hotels
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthe reserveplunge poolgame drivesday bedoutdoor showerzulu cultureout of this worldsouth africaherd of elephantsthree nightsvery special placedining roomland roverattention to detailspent nightswatering holehigh tea
Reviewed 16 June 2011

It has taken me 2 months nearly to write this review. I mentioned in my last reveiw that I was a little disappointed. Well I am glad to report that everything was back to their normal 5 star service, The food was great, no waiting

David our ranger was as informative as ever. He even took us to a local school, as one of my children who was with us is a teacher in the U.K. and she wanted to see what it was like in rural africa. It is well worth the trip if you have the time.

The weather was not kind to us but that did not dampen the great experience my children enjoyed. They went back to Manchester England very happy.

Well Done Thanda we look forward to our next visit. We will be back!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We spent 3 nights in the tented camp as part of our honeymoon and had the best expereince ever. We were offered an upgrade to the main lodge but decided not to accept as wanted a more rustic expereince. The staff were fantastic , they could not do enough for us but were never over bearing.

I can't say enough good things about Thanda , the food was excellent, the tents were great the game drives were perfect.

The staff at Thanda gave us an unforgettable experience.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We stayed here for four nights as part of our honeymoon and it was the absolute highlight. The service is very personal without being in your face and the safari drives were amazing - we had Sandiso as our driver / guide and he was excellent - always managed to track animals down by following tracks etc. He was also incredibly knowledgeable about the animals, and having grown up in the area, could tell us loads about Zulu life.

Having booked a tent we were actually upgraded to a villa for three nights. The villas are breathtaking - such luxury - own outdoor plunge pool, outdoor eating area, outdoor bed, outdoor shower. And the interiors are just pure luxury. Couldn't fault them.

Also good to compare the tent experience which was great for being closer to nature but much less luxurious. There is a dining tent and camp fire that are use by those sleeping in tents. One thing to note is that the tents are a good 10-15 min drive from the main lodge, and whilst Thanda staff are happy to ferry you to and fro as you desire, I think most people staying in the tents stay in the tented area.

It can get quite cold on the drives so make sure you have warm clothes with you.

Would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a wonderful safari in pure luxury.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Rachel063
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I stayed with my wife at Thanda in the main lodge accommodation for 3 nights and it was amazing. What makes this place really special is the staff who cannot do enough for you without being in your face. The game drives were awesome and we saw lots of animals and species and were lucky enough to see the big five and the leopard twice in one evening game drive. Highly recommended and would love to return in the future.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We stayed here for a couple of nights to experience a safari! I am a luxury tour operator in the UK and so I inspect hotels regularly.
This lodge was fantasic, we had one of the main lodges, they are exceptional inside. They are what I would class as luxury rustic!
Special mention to Grace and Wilson for tracking so much game in 3 trips! And to Lynda who was so helpful, and arrangde the boma for me at such short notice!
All the rest of the staff were fantatsic too!
I will never forget being walked back to our lodge at night to find an elephant stood right in front of us drinking out of the watering hole, needless to say we had to find another route back to our lodge!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple