“The mundane ruining the moonlight.”

Al Lunario Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 11 Cherasco B&B and Inns
Boston
“The mundane ruining the moonlight.”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed two nights in early September in the room on the first floor facing the road. The building is pleasant, beautifully decorated inside. The room is similar - very big, with high ceiling, nicely decorated in an old traditional warm style that I like. There was a minibar/little fridge and a coffeemaker. The bed was large and comfortable, with embroidered linen. The bathroom was very clean and shining, with many towels and a bath robe. At first, I liked everything much.

The breakfast was adequate, you should ask for certain foods to avoid being served what you won't eat - I personally do not crave breads and prefer eggs/fruits. On the second morning I received that, although the peach was probably the hardest in all of Piedmont, that being in September...

Parking was free right in front of the building, which was good for luggage load/unload. The proprietor was extremely polite and courteous. I wish the services/comforts of the room were on that level. The location of the B&B is very good, right outside of the Arch in Cherasco, close to the center of the small picturesque town that was a pleasure to explore. The backyard of the B&B looks at a splendid edifice Madonna del Popolo, and the town is a typical representation of the Piedmontese architecture. There was also an imposing Castello Visconteo on the opposite side of the town, outside of the walls.

The B&B is convenient to visit Regione delle Langhe with its splendid castles and vineyards.

Pitfalls:

Unfortunately, some vital services listed as fully available were not - WiFi signal was very weak, and on the second night disappeared completely around 23:00, exactly when I needed to write back home. Using the old trick, I climbed the stairs to the owner's apartment door with my Android phone, and sure enough, WiFi was perfect there.

Next, on arrival the proprietor informed me that the hot water was available only 3 hours in the morning and 3 in the evening due to the solar power limited capacity. You choose the hours. But still I wish that would be mentioned on the hotel page as it is an inconvenience (and it is still not mentioned at all at Booking.com as of today).

In the bathroom there were no toiletries except for a tiny soap bar; however a robe was provided.

The worst for me was the street noise in the morning - the placidly looking street becomes busy with morning deliveries, and the idle motor running right under your window at 7:00 am wakes up for good. I specifically inquired the proprietor months in advance if a room was quiet, and she assured me that it was. But it turned out not to be. I expressed dissatisfaction with all these and asked for a discount. She gave me 10% back. However, if I knew of all these discomforts, I would rather stay at the next door Somaschi Hotel, but I leaned to the promised "ambiance" of this B&B.

Overall, it turned into rather an uncomfortable room for me where I could not get enough sleep due to the morning traffic noise. I regretted that I did not stay in Le Langhe where there were plenty of quaint hotels. My impression was that the proprietor was inexperienced and unaware of the basic needs of a solo international traveler, far from home. These hidden penny-pinching was rather annoying too, as it cut into your comforts. The proprietor should give a realistic description of her accommodation features and services.

This stay was an addition to other misrepresented B&Bs in my trip, and after this experience I canceled all remaining B&Bs and rebooked myself in hotels with standards of service to avoid all this haggling and hassle with misleading proprietors.

A disappointment that looked cute... I give it an average rating (not poor) because I felt the proprietor had made an effort to provide quality accommodation. Yet I believe it is reasonable to expect that the establishment delivers features & services that it advertises and promises, apart from just a room, bed and breakfast, and it did not.

Based on the above, stay at your own risk, i.e. if what's missing there is not important for you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Gradiva

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed here on our first night in Italy and while the Giro was in town. The hosts were lovely, breakfast superb, good location and a decent size room with good facilities. Only thing that was missing was some wine glasses in the room!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Vignale Monferrato, Italy
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Good location and nice staff. Breakfast for Italian standards very good.Clean rooms with easy access. Perfect place to do trips in the region

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cherasco
Somaschi Hotel
#3 of 6 in Cherasco
B&B L'Arcobaleno
B&B L'Arcobaleno
#6 of 11 in Cherasco

Been to Al Lunario Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!