This was the first time we have stayed in this particular part of Italy. The hotel is very conveniently situated right in the heart of Conversano. The room we had was very spacious with a four poster bed and a separate room with a table and cooking facilities (fridge was useful).
We ate at the restaurant on two nights and the food was nicely prepared and tasty.
I do have a couple of points which could do with improvement though. The first night we dined at the restaurant we were sat waiting for twenty minutes with staff coming and going but nobody even checking to see if we were being served - which we weren't. No tables are laid for breakfast so you take pot luck as to whether you're sitting at an unused table or one just cleared but still mucky.
We wanted to get a drink one on the Saturday evening but after the receptionist phoned up to the restaurant we were told we couldn't as there was a private party on. Not overly impressed as we had paid quite s lot for a three night stay and i didn't feel we got value for money.
The reception staff were very helpful and arranged a trip to a local farm to see some Lipizzaner horses which was a lovely thing to do and thoroughly recommended. We also had the wine tasting which was very enjoyable.
Would definitely return back to the area but probably not to this hotel - although we didn't notice too many other hotels around which may account for the higher prices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star hotel "Corte Altavilla" is an old medieval court situated in a residential area of the historical centre of Conversano, (City of Art). It stands on a hill, 8 km far from the sea, near the area of the "trulli" and the "grottoes." In 1100 beautiful and young Sibilla d'Altavilla lived here, who were Roberto Courtehouse's wife, the son of William II the Conqueror. Sibilla, missed queen of England, is buried inside the cathedral of Rouen, in Normandy.Following a complete restoration in 2002, a very unusual complex of antique dwellings, located within the walls of the medieval Altavilla court, has been transformed into a receptive centre with hotel rooms, elegant suites and apartments where original stone built rooms with whitewashed plasters, barrel vaults and wooden beams charm the guests. Nothing is made by chance: attention to the details, to the smallest things, in order to make everything elegant and sumptuous, between the past and the present, an harmonic contrast between the modern and the old.Discretion, kindness and helpfulness of our staff at the reception meet your needs to suggest itineraries from the cliffs of Polignano to the "trulli" of Alberobello, from the landscape of the Itria Valley to the "grottoes" of Castellana, and then the "white city" of Ostuni, Frederick II and Castel del Monte, the "rocks" of Matera, Salento, farmhouses, rocky churches: in a word: Apulia. The 31 dwellings (suites and rooms) are equipped with all modern comforts: direct control air conditioning, satellite TV, direct telephone, safes, free internet wi fi, fire alarm, minibar and kitchen area (available in some rooms). On request we have a Junior Suite with hydromassage bath tub.Also available: solarium terrace, concierge/information desk, bikes, transfer facilities and chauffeur, daily excursions by car or on boat all around the area; thermarium spa, cookery course and parking area. In the morning at our restaurant on the terrace with a beautiful view of the old town, you can have breakfast buffet: orange juice, yoghurts, different cereals, croissants, cakes and tarts, bread of a local baker's, toasted bread, marmalades, seasonal fresh fruit, taralli, cheese and salami, eggs.For dinner our chef offers a typical regional cuisine using fresh seasonal products and every day it proposes different menus which enclose the history and the culinary customs of our town. IN SHORT: Every room offers the following service: Free internet Wi fi, sat TV, heat/cold air conditioning with remote control, telephone, Internet connection socket, safe, hairdryer, kitchen area (on request in Standard rooms), minibar and smoke alarm. Internet Wi fi free of charge is in available in 100% of rooms and public areas. In the common area: Free Interne Wi fi free of charge, lounge, free Internet point, typical cuisine restaurant on the terrace with the view of the old city, 2 meeting halls, hall with reading area and courtesy cafe, solarium, lift, free parking service, thermarium spa. Furthermore, we have at our guests disposal: rental bikes, transfer service, organized excursions around Apulia, cookery course, boat or cruise excursions, riding school at 5 km far, olive oil bottles on sale with Corte Altavilla mark. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Corte Altavilla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Corte Altavilla Hotel Conversano
- Holiday Inn Bari
- Corte Altavilla Bari
- Corte Altavilla Conversano, Italy - Province Of Bari