“This place is heaven on Earth”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wabatongushi Lake
Errington's Wilderness Island Resort
Reviewed 23 May 2008

We've been to Errington's twice. Our second visit was for our honeymoon.

The cabins are cozy and comfortable. Our honeymoon brought cold weather and rain, it was mid-September. The constant supply of firewood was appreciated and we were warm as toast. We were the only guests in the cabins (it was their last week of the season), and had the island to ourselves. In June, the cabins were filled with friendly people.

Ivan was our fishing guide in September, our first visit we ventured out on our own. Not being that much of a fishing lover, I enjoyed watching the wildlife (bears and loons everywhere first visit in June). This place offers total relaxation. I remember warm June days floating in the boat, and sunset not until 10 p.m.

The train ride is lovely. Our first trip was from Sault St. Marie, but second was from Hawk Junction. You must do the long trip at least once to see the canyon. The drive to/from Hawk was breathtaking along Lake Superior.

I can't say enough about the owners, they are so knowledgeable and hospitable. We took the dinner plan, and cooked our own breakfast and lunch, but dined with the group for dinner. The food was outstanding, and the staff was fun.

It's been over year since our last visit, but we'll be back. We're off exploring other parts of Canada right now. I have yet to find a place like Wilderness Island. It is truly unique.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WISuzyqueue

Reviewed 21 April 2008

Took my new Memphis wife camping on Lake Wabatongushi for our honeymoon in 1976. The kids were born in '78 & 79, and we waited 10 years to return with them only to find no more camping was allowed. Checked with Errington's Resort, which we visited in 1976 and booked a cabin with them. Been going ever since. Would be divorced if I told my wife we needed to go somewhere's else. I'd be a lieing fool, too. She's a horticulturalist and I farmed until 2004. The flowers and berries are wonderful. The fishing and wildlife are great, too. You will never find a better bunch of people in the hosts and staff in your life. Take the train in from Hawk Junction, which has not changed since I first came up in 1969. The drive along Lake Superior is to die for.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2007

We booked this vacaction for our 12 year old grandson. He wanted to ride a train and to go fishing in Canada. Sounded like a good solution for his trip. I don't fish but hoped there was something I could do. Wow, more than we could have hoped for! The people were wonderful, the food was great (too much of it sometimes), the accomodations neat, clean attractive, fishing was good and fun (I understand) but the surprise was the wildlife. I intended to read a lot but became so in awe of the loons, ducks, eagles and so on, that I sat on the porch and watched their antics. We did see bears but gratefully, not on our island. Don't miss shore lunches. The first time ever I wasn't ready to come home from a vacation. You have never heard that from this Texan. Thanks for a great vacation. Beth Wells

Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank GrandmotherTexas
Reviewed 17 June 2007

Just completed our 11th annual trip to Errington's. The scenery is stunning. Forest or lake as far as you can see, crisp clean air, lots of wildlife. Fishing is great, and no, I won't tell you where our favorite holes are, although Doris will tell you where she would go.

We choose the housekeeping plan, cooking our own meals, but we do go to the lodge for dinner once during the week. The cabins are very comfortable, with indoor plumbing, cooking, a refrigerator and propane grill. As a reformed back-packer, it sure looks like the Ritz to me. Everything is well maintained and any problems that do happen are addressed promptly.

What really sets Errington's apart from other places is Al and Doris and their staff. Everyone is cheerful and friendly and they make you feel like your vacation is their most important priority. Highest recommendations for a 'get-away-from-it-all' vacation. No cell phone service, no internet, no tv, no radio, no cable. If there is a newspaper in the lodge, it will be at least a week old. Truly wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank readerUs
Reviewed 24 April 2007

our visit was one of the nicest trips i've taken anywhere. we were treated like kings by all the staff and the food was great. when they realized we were slugs and would sleep a little later, they carried breakfast over from the lodge to our room every morning.
the lake, the scenery, the wildlife and the fishing were great, the boats were nice and started easy. we had the option of shore lunches, where they cooked our catch on a secluded lake island for lunch, and those were incredible meals, delicious and in such pristine locations.
i had never been to a fishing type lodge before and this was a great experience. i can't wait to be able to go there again.

• Stayed: June 2004, travelled as a couple
2  Thank heresnookysnooky
Reviewed 8 March 2007

We've been coming up to Al's place for many years now. We've seen the many positive changes he's made -- all for the better.

I'd say that out of the last 15 years I've been up there 5 or 6 times. Other family members can boast the same record.

It's a proven and pleasant respite. Lucky for me, we've got two cabins reserved for June 2007. Twelve of us will be up there for 4 days of fishing and family reunion.

If it's as good as it's been in past years, I'll be a happy traveller.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank garyhorntvedt
Reviewed 8 December 2006

As Papaw60 explained above, Erringtons is an excellent place to stay for great fishing, great views of wildlife, and treated like you are the most important person they have all season!

The boats are excellent, the dock staff give 125% to make sure you have good equipment and will answer any questions you have.

A couple pointers:
Come prepaed to relax. While the cabins are not the Ritz Charles, they are very comfortable and make you feel like you are the only peope in camp.

Bring quarters. The minnow races are a MUST!

Be prepared to catch more fish than you can imagine and I would hope you throw most back. My sons and I are extreemly lcky to have a grandpa who we can share this trip with and I hope I can o this with my grandsons!

Bring a camera! You will want pictures to get you until the next time you can go!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank Upward

Been to Errington's Wilderness Island Resort? Share your experiences!