“Highly recommended”

Chateau de Massillan
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Uchaux
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed here for six nights at the start of September, and can't recommend it highly enough. If you're looking for somewhere quiet in the Provençal countryside to relax for a while then this is the spot. In fact it's so good we invited my parents to join us for a night! The chateau is imposing and charming, and the courtyard and gardens stunning. We were kindly upgraded to a fantastic suite with a large terrace which was fantastic for an early evening glass of wine or relaxing through the day with a book. The food is fantastic - we had some of the best dinners we've had in recent years here. The breakfast is also incredibly good. The staff and management are very eager to please, but not intrusive, and Peter, the owner, is always around to see how you're getting on. The surrounding countryside is full of interesting little villages and fantastic family-run wineries.so you're never bored. There aren't too many places like this around - we just wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Chateau de Massillan

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Subject: Chateau de Massillan
Location: Uchaux, Vaucluse, Provence, France, Europe
Title: What a cracking find - We couldn't fault it!!
ID#: 175733884

My wife and I booked last minute for 3 nights, without our two small children - a rare treat and pleasure!!
We found EVERYTHING to be EXACTLY what we both wanted! My wife tends to have high expectations and as a result is often disappointed - not so in this case!
If you are looking for STUNNING surroundings, beautiful rooms, relaxed atmosphere, great food, friendly staff who always ensure you have what you need without being too 'in your face' and a wine list to suit all, this is the place for you......Oops, I forgot great weather......not sure I can really thank the Chateau to that!!?

I can't say that we did a great deal, other than relax by the pool reading books (a rare pleasure with two children under 2 1/2!), eat exactly what we wanted, which just so happened to be on the menu, and drink some fine wines - If you're interested, Rose for Lunch and pool time, and some great local Reds in the evening!!

We ripped ourselves away from the Hotel for one evening to a place in Uchaux, recommended and booked by, as it turned out later, the owner of the Hotel, Mr Peter Wylly. As it further turned out, he arrived at the same restaurant a little later with his charming wife to celebrate her birthday. He immediately approached our table to ensure that we had everything we needed!

On our final evening, I invited Mr Wylly to join us for 'after dinner drinks' and found him to be an UTTERLY charming, interesting, knowledgeable, and self-effacing man, for whom nothing is too much trouble. We also found the staff, that we had the pleasure of meeting, to be much the same in terms of their manner and going out of their way to make sure that we had everything to enhance our experience. I have to say that I find it very difficult to believe that anybody has had a bad experience at this most beautiful and friendly of places!!? I guess it only goes to show that you REALLY can't please all the people, all the time!?

If I have described anything that you would want out of a break/holiday, then you would be letting the best in life pass you by if you don't go to Chateau de Massillan!

with regards and best wishes to all involved.

James and Kirstie Lloyd

PS - I have been unable to give a rating for the 'Fitness Centre' as I was unable to find one.......Amen to that!!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the lake on the second floor - I think 14? It was great!
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We are just back from a week at Chateau Massillan. What a holiday. Forget hide away boutiques in Turkey. This is the place for a world class rural retreat.

The hotel is a superb manor house with bits from a number of centuries. The courtyard, where most of the meals were had, is a seemingly three quarters court 17th century area which gave a perfect area to eat and talk.

We arrived late on a Sunday but we were warmly greeted. It was past 10:00 pm but they served a superb dinner.

We were upgraded to a larger room. We loved throwing the shutters open to see the trees and the chef collecting herbs.

The staff were excellent. Ranging from the waitress telling us her secrets of making croissants to the receptionist letting me in the room after locking myself out of my room. I did notice that things got done quicker and little things repaired when the owner arrived.

The meals were just excellent and presentation near perfect.

Meals and drinks are pricey. Very pricey. However, you could always go elsewhere and the staff were happy to suggest places.

The pool area was great but the water unheated. In temperatures of 30 degrees it was a relief to cool down.

There were plenty of things to do and see around the area. Orange was outstanding.

We should have gone on this holiday two years ago. Instead it turned into a celebration for returning good health. The hotel made it perfect

Room Tip: Room 14 was great
Reviewed 30 August 2013

UPDATED AND EDITED AFTER BEING CONTACTED BY THE OWNER REQUESTING CHANGES:

We stayed as part of our honeymoon after finding Massillan on the Mrs and Mrs Smith website, it looked amazing!

We arrived to the front facade, again very beautiful, to find out that our room had been upgraded to a slightly bigger room, a lovely gesture!

We booked dinner first night and our mains came out before we had had our starters, not a mistake you would expect a gastronomic hotel to make but to be fair to the waiter he did comp us a couple of glasses of wine and was very apologetic.

We decided not to eat again the next night but came back the night after for convenience, the food is very good, especially the steak with mushroom.

The Hotel itself is very pretty but sells itself on being rated as one of the best hotels in the world (by the brochures that are left in all of the rooms with the reviews they have had in the past including a Tatler review) and it simply just doesn't live up to the hype in our humble opinion.

Our waiter was a lovely man and the young trainee receptionist very helpful but other than that most of the staff felt untrained or just not very good at customer service.

An example would be that while checking out the receptionist received a phone call and instead of calling the person back proceeded to chat away while processing our check out one handed. We left the hotel after 4 nights (and a fairly big bill) without even a thanks or a goodbye. We were there for a total of 10 mins which gave me the chance to load the car with baggage and come back but still no goodbye etc, a real shame and something I would not expect from a decent hotel wishing people to come back.

The owner swore in front of us advising us he had told his staff not to "f*** things up again" after the food issue on the first night. He clearly meant this in a jokey way but its Just not what you expect from a 4 or 5 star hotel, more something from a local b&b, poor show really.

In addition to this as mentioned by one of the previous guests some of the AC sockets are not actually attached to the walls and come out, something that should be dealt with ASAP as a safety hazard.

Upon writing the original review I have received an email from the owner, I thought it would be worth adding this to my original review along with my comments (underlined) as sent to the owner. If this is in contrivention of any policies etc please remove tripadvisor, however i think it adds to the review somewhat. My comments will have an indent at the beggining to show they are from me. This has been sent to the hotel owner in its entirety with no editing.

Dear Andy Davies,

as you can imagine I have seen you review on trip advisor. As you can also imagine I am pretty disappointed with it.
Trip advisor has become the most important indirect marketing tool for small independent hotels like Massillan.
As I am a member of trip adviser I can write a response to the reviews, I plan to write a response to yours, but I thought that I would write to you first.

Firstly I would like to ask where on our official website have you seen that Massillan "sells itself on being rated as one of the best hotels in the world"?
From the First page of our website chateau-de-massillan.com we describe ourselves as 'a small luxury design hotel and gastronomic restaurant situated in the tranquil village of Uchaux, Provence'.
----------- My comments had nothing to do with your website but more aimed at the brochure you put in every room with reviews of your hotel, the general feeling you are left with is that you are trying to position yourself as one of the best hotels in the world (read the tater review that you are clearly proud of and reprint in the rooms), my comment was that our experience didn't live up to the outward perception you put out.

In My staff of 14, I have 2 Stagierres (hotel school students) one in service, one in reception, the rest of the service team have the following experience,
Evening service
David waiter 13 years in waiting experience,
Matthieu waiter (who made the mistake) 14 years waiting experience
breakfast and salads,
Veronique 10 years of waiting experience,
Iryna 4 waiting experience
----------- Its great that you take on students, the one that was serving in the restaurant IMO could use with some more experience.

It is usual to have some stagierres in our business but both of the girls had already work at massillan under supervision for 2 months before your visit. So by the time you came they new what they were doing.
----------- I wouldn't entirely agree with this, the young girl at reception was great but the one serving in the restaurant could do with a lot more experience IMO as she seemed very unsure of herself.

As we are a small hotel if the phone rings we answer it if we don't answer it it will ring for 1 minute before the answer machine kicks in. Samia the 'directrice de l'herbergement' doe's not "Chat away" but she would answer call about future reservations etc.

We always, always thank our clients for their visit and wish them a good onward journey. I am certain that she didn't realise that you were leaving, many people put the bags into the car then come back in.
----------- Well, she didn't. And whats more for the duration (10 mins) of us conducting check out she barely made eye contact with us. I understand the value of new business but also understand the value of leaving a good impression, the simple fact is she didn't, and you trying to justify why with "many people put the bags into the car then come back in." doesn't really cut the mustard I'm afraid. FYI I did put the bags in the car and come back in, mainly as she was engrossed on the phone call and I had some time to kill.

Concerning the mistake of serving you the main before the entree. this is the first time that it has happened, Matthieu offered you 2 glasses of wine to try to make up for his mistake, then for the rest of your stay he personally made sure that everything was in order,
----------- And he dealt with this very well

I guess that you liked the restaurant and the food and the service because you ate here for the last 2 nights.
----------- Food was good, apologies I left that out of the review, I will add this, my mistake

Concerning your comment "The owner swore in front of us advising us he had told his staff not to "f*** things up again"!

When I saw you the the day after Matthieu mistake I remember apologising, as we are both english and of a similar age group, sensed that after you seemed to accept the apology I decided to make a joke saying that I have made sure that Matthieu will not f*** up his service again. If I had known that you were 'sensitive' to swear words then i would have said "I have made sure that Matthieu will not MESS up his service again".
I am surprised that you are so sensitive.
I----------- am not sensitive, my point is its unprofessional at what you expect to be a stellar experience. You are not a cosy B&B you are a chateau in France with a top spec restaurant, there is such a thing as professional conduct.

I am surprised that you were so un happy with your stay at massillan (as you didn't talk to me about it)
----------- We were not unhappy, the stay was good as was rated at 3 stars, not excellent, not very good but good. As you will see from my other review our accommodation prior to arriving at Massilian WAS excellent, a b&b but they went out of their way to ensure that everything was perfect, I'm sorry but we just didn't have that experience at Massilian.

and I am surprised that you have decided to share your negative comments with 70 million trip advisor viewers.
----------- Trip advisor is build around people leaving reviews about their stays, positive and negative. IMO feedback is there so that the people who offer the service can take it on board and improve rather than pretty arrogantly suggest that the customer is wrong and exaggerating….

You also seemed to forget that as you came for your honey moon, we made a special effort to give you a double Upgrade from room 22 our cheapest room at 195€ per night, to our standard tower room at 275€ per night. Effectively offering you a 320€ wedding gesture.
----------- Again, apologies I forgot to include this, I will edit. It was appreciated.

I would really like to know why you decided to write the review
----------- We decided to write a review to advise people of our experience, that’s what trip advisor is about. We also wrote of our other honeymoon experiences too!

, and what you hope to gain out of it?
----------- Trip advisor really isnt about gain is it?

If I post my comment it will stick to your comment and show that you have maybe exaggerated.
----------- I find this comment slightly arrogant, instead of offering advice on how you will fix things, apologising etc you decide to effectively attack me. Poor show really.. I actually left off a few other things that were wrong but if you would like I could post these too:

The mains AC socket was hanging out in the bathroom wall and not actually attached. Im pretty sure that health and safety would have a field day with this. We did report this, I hope its been fixed since….
The secondary AC socked in the main bedroom has holes around the outside, pretty dodgy for kids.

Another of the 3 star and 4 star reviews mention the wall sockets, I'm surprised they were still broken when we were there….

The alternative is that remove or change your comment,
----------- That’s a threat, I doubt trip advisor would take very kindly to this, its not exactly in the spirit of reviews is it?

I would really like to know why you decided to write the review.
----------- As stated above

I hope to hear from you soon

Kind regards,
Peter Wylly
Director

Room Tip: Make sure that your room has the AC sockets screwed into the wall!
2  Thank Andy D
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I loved this hotel. The location, the service, the rooms, the restaurant! We arrived at this imposing hotel and received such a warm welcome and were shown to a fabulous room. The hotel, the grounds and the restaurant are flawless. The experience is total escape from the bustle of Provence. You can go out and explore Provence, then return to this sanctuary. it is an expensive experience but definitely worth it.

Room Tip: pay the extra, and get a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

romantic weekend away became for various reasons a solo cycling trip to climb Mt Ventoux, lovely place and totally delightful as a single traveller. Local village has a few great spots as well. Restaurant at the hotel is world class and with a fairly pricd wine list to boot.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We had our daughter's wedding at Chateau de Massilllan and it was a wonderul expericence. Peter and his entire staff did an outstanding job attending to every detail. The food and drinks were excellent and the setting is simply magical. We loved the intimate but glamerous feel of the place and it was a perfect fit for the number of guests we had attending. We highly reccommend it!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lacey H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uchaux
Villa Augusta
Le Pre du Moulin
Le Pre du Moulin
#1 of 2 in Serignan-du-Comtat
Hostellerie Chateau des Fines Roches
Hostellerie Chateau des Fines Ro...
#1 of 4 in Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Mercure Orange Centre
Mercure Orange Centre
#3 of 18 in Orange
Le Clair de la Plume
Le Clair de la Plume
#1 of 7 in Grignan

Been to Chateau de Massillan? Share your experiences!