“Puzzled”

Chateau de Massillan
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Uchaux
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Having read other reviews on this site, I have one foot in the camp of Jmatt,London and Andy D,Amersham. We were here for one night, mainly because they could not accommadate us for three.
I'm puzzled because this is operated more like a relaxed B&B, yet a brochure in our room said it had won awards for being in the Top 50 & Top 100 hotels in the world. I doubt I'd put it in the top 100 hotels in the UK, and I don't wish to sound cruel by saying that. From what I had read about this chateau, my expectations were very high, mainly because of the emphasis of the owners
designer background. frankly, I was disappointed. There are some very nice
aspects in the interior of the property but nothing really stunning. The rear courtyard and swimming pool area are nice, but they could look even better.
The courtyard furniture was looking decidedly worn. The 'manicured' gardens
mentioned in the same brochure do not meet my understanding of the word.
On approching, I noticed the wooden front door was stunning, but really dirty.
Now, I understand it had not rained for over a month prior to our arrival, so things were a little dusty, but such an edifice should be shining to entice you in.
A bit of elbow grease each day wouldn't go amiss. Having said that, the modern glass door beyond it was gleaming.
My wife and I were greeted nicely by the receptionist and advised we had been given an upgrade This seems to be a regular occurrence given the reviews and I applaud it. She also asked if we would like anything to eat or drink. We opted for tea in the rear courtyard and it was delivered in minutes by a friendly lady.
We too were provided with a key and told to take it with us if we went out in the evening, as the hotel is locked at a certain time.
We were also told that there would be no-one on reception from a given time in the evening (can't remember what time) until 9am, although
a telephone call should catch the owner or a member of staff, should we require anything before then. It was then I realised this wasn't a 'usual' hotel.
There is no doubt this accommodation is in a wonderfully quiet area.
Our room was large but uninspiring given the designer background. A lovely large bathroom though, with a stand-alone bath,large rain shower and separate toilet. Aah, the toilet, that's another story. What did I say about a quiet area?
Upto arriving here we had made stopovers in cities with the inevitable disturbed sleep, so when we saw this location we expected an undisturbed
night. Regretablly, it was not to be. Whenever the toilet was flushed a high-pitched squeal came from either the cistern or pipes. It also occurred intermitently at other times - maybe due to flushing from above. Also, a couple of containers for toiletries/makeup were dusty. Just to add to the 'noise factor',
and no reflection on the hotel, someone was firing a shotgun at about 8am - not our night really!
At dinner we had to seek someone out to find where we were sitting. As it happened a waiter came around a corner and sorted us out. No maitre d here then. The food was wonderful, service a little slow as the 2 amiable waiters
rushed around to serve all 14 in the dining room. If memory serves me right we were in the dining room for 2 hours.
Peter dealt with us at check-out and, as has been said, appears to be a very friendly, laid-back chap. I mentioned the squealing toilet to him and he seemed to take it on board.
So, puzzled I still am. If I'd read that this accommodation was laid back, and relaxed, and not to expect 5 star treatment, my expectations would not have been so high. We did not dislike it, but, in my opinion, it's not what it says on the tin. It could be a superb hotel, but needs money and attention spent on it. I see on the internet it's for sale; that could well explain some of the shabby element of the chic.

Room Tip: Nothing really, except maybe to ask about the plumbing!
4  Thank rapton

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Our experience.
In the middle of a 10-day trip to France, My husband and I stayed three nights at Chateau de Massillan. How would we describe it? Romantic, remote, classic (with a twist,) quaint, beautiful and charming.

Personalize service.
Peter is exactly the kind of hotelier every traveler hopes to encounter. I got the sense that he is willing to be as involved in your experience as you want him to be. Upon our late arrival, my husband inquired if there was a bar on the premises. His response was that the bar was anywhere and everywhere we wanted it to be; followed by a, “What can I get you?” Time and time again throughout our stay, Peter surprised us with his attention to detail and eagerness to make our stay as comfortable, enjoyable and memorable as possible.

The chateau.
The façade of the chateau is breathtaking. The approach is 1550’s turrets and stone. The arrival is glass entry door. The welcome is classic French with a kiss of modern. The sitting rooms, dining room, courtyard and pool area were all beautiful, comfortable and inviting. The staff was warm, attentive and eager to please.

The grounds.
The property was tranquil, manicured and inviting. We strolled to the pond, took a try on the 2-person swing and watched the koi swim beneath our feet.

Our room.
Luxury room 14 was quite comfortable, beautiful and functional with the most spectacular West-facing window with a view of the garden, lush grounds and pond. Shutters on the windows provided complete black out for a sound sleep and then opened wide to allow the outdoors in.

The dining.
We ate dinner at the Chateau twice and found the Southern French dishes and wines delicious and the atmosphere relaxing. After a casual conversation about Fois Gras, Peter even arranged for the chef to prepare for us a special appetizer in a style which were craving.

The extras.
After discussing some intended winery visits in the surrounding area (which we had researched prior to our arrival,) Peter enlightened us by suggesting a new itinerary for the day. It included a visit to a unique wine cave in Chateauneuf. Again, he made an appointment for us to enjoy a guided tasting. This experience was a real highlight of our stay in the area.

Our return.
Would we recommend or return ourselves to Chateau de Massillan? The short answer: In a heartbeat. Cheers to Peter, Chateau de Massillan and the beautiful escape created in this country oasis. Will we be back? I sure hope so.

1  Thank klock2013
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I am completely flummoxed by any bad review of Chateau de Massillan. It is simply paradise. My second visit did not disappoint at all. The staff are professional and polite. Peter, the owner, is warm and welcoming. The house itself is a very special ( and rare) combination of aged beauty and simple, modern design ( and I am a designer). Don't go if you want a 5 star chain hotel experience. It is far more than that, but you need to be sensitive to appreciate it. I loved it!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

If you like attentive staff and the service of a large hotel then this is not for you, very often we had to hunt staff down to ask for something, the waiting staff were very good during mealtimes but outside of that it felt unstaffed accept for the person on reception who was often very busy. You are given a key to the front door your room and you get on with it, don't expect to be asked if you would like a bite to eat or a refreshing drink after a long journey. The owner/manager was a personable enough but the rest of the staff didn't really seem to connect they did their job and didn't offer much more. The public spaces were very elegant although some pieces of furniture needed some attention however the room was neglected with torn curtains, loose floor tiles and loose bathroom fittings and fixtures and run down furniture. It was certainly not worth the rate that we paid. On the positive note the food was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jsmatt
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed here for six nights at the start of September, and can't recommend it highly enough. If you're looking for somewhere quiet in the Provençal countryside to relax for a while then this is the spot. In fact it's so good we invited my parents to join us for a night! The chateau is imposing and charming, and the courtyard and gardens stunning. We were kindly upgraded to a fantastic suite with a large terrace which was fantastic for an early evening glass of wine or relaxing through the day with a book. The food is fantastic - we had some of the best dinners we've had in recent years here. The breakfast is also incredibly good. The staff and management are very eager to please, but not intrusive, and Peter, the owner, is always around to see how you're getting on. The surrounding countryside is full of interesting little villages and fantastic family-run wineries.so you're never bored. There aren't too many places like this around - we just wish we could have stayed longer!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Subject: Chateau de Massillan
Location: Uchaux, Vaucluse, Provence, France, Europe
Title: What a cracking find - We couldn't fault it!!
ID#: 175733884

My wife and I booked last minute for 3 nights, without our two small children - a rare treat and pleasure!!
We found EVERYTHING to be EXACTLY what we both wanted! My wife tends to have high expectations and as a result is often disappointed - not so in this case!
If you are looking for STUNNING surroundings, beautiful rooms, relaxed atmosphere, great food, friendly staff who always ensure you have what you need without being too 'in your face' and a wine list to suit all, this is the place for you......Oops, I forgot great weather......not sure I can really thank the Chateau to that!!?

I can't say that we did a great deal, other than relax by the pool reading books (a rare pleasure with two children under 2 1/2!), eat exactly what we wanted, which just so happened to be on the menu, and drink some fine wines - If you're interested, Rose for Lunch and pool time, and some great local Reds in the evening!!

We ripped ourselves away from the Hotel for one evening to a place in Uchaux, recommended and booked by, as it turned out later, the owner of the Hotel, Mr Peter Wylly. As it further turned out, he arrived at the same restaurant a little later with his charming wife to celebrate her birthday. He immediately approached our table to ensure that we had everything we needed!

On our final evening, I invited Mr Wylly to join us for 'after dinner drinks' and found him to be an UTTERLY charming, interesting, knowledgeable, and self-effacing man, for whom nothing is too much trouble. We also found the staff, that we had the pleasure of meeting, to be much the same in terms of their manner and going out of their way to make sure that we had everything to enhance our experience. I have to say that I find it very difficult to believe that anybody has had a bad experience at this most beautiful and friendly of places!!? I guess it only goes to show that you REALLY can't please all the people, all the time!?

If I have described anything that you would want out of a break/holiday, then you would be letting the best in life pass you by if you don't go to Chateau de Massillan!

with regards and best wishes to all involved.

James and Kirstie Lloyd

PS - I have been unable to give a rating for the 'Fitness Centre' as I was unable to find one.......Amen to that!!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the lake on the second floor - I think 14? It was great!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We are just back from a week at Chateau Massillan. What a holiday. Forget hide away boutiques in Turkey. This is the place for a world class rural retreat.

The hotel is a superb manor house with bits from a number of centuries. The courtyard, where most of the meals were had, is a seemingly three quarters court 17th century area which gave a perfect area to eat and talk.

We arrived late on a Sunday but we were warmly greeted. It was past 10:00 pm but they served a superb dinner.

We were upgraded to a larger room. We loved throwing the shutters open to see the trees and the chef collecting herbs.

The staff were excellent. Ranging from the waitress telling us her secrets of making croissants to the receptionist letting me in the room after locking myself out of my room. I did notice that things got done quicker and little things repaired when the owner arrived.

The meals were just excellent and presentation near perfect.

Meals and drinks are pricey. Very pricey. However, you could always go elsewhere and the staff were happy to suggest places.

The pool area was great but the water unheated. In temperatures of 30 degrees it was a relief to cool down.

There were plenty of things to do and see around the area. Orange was outstanding.

We should have gone on this holiday two years ago. Instead it turned into a celebration for returning good health. The hotel made it perfect

Room Tip: Room 14 was great
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uchaux
Villa Augusta
Le Pre du Moulin
Le Pre du Moulin
#1 of 2 in Serignan-du-Comtat
Hostellerie Chateau des Fines Roches
Hostellerie Chateau des Fines Ro...
#1 of 4 in Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Le Mas de l'Olivier
Le Mas de l'Olivier
#1 of 3 in Pont-Saint-Esprit
Chateau de Mazan
Chateau de Mazan
#1 of 2 in Mazan

Been to Chateau de Massillan? Share your experiences!