“Good location for commuting”
Review of The Golf Hotel

The Golf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Woodhall Spa
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I recently stayed at your hotel. When I first arrived, from the outside I thought that it looked a bit run down, but was pleasantly surprised when I stepped inside. I was told that a lot of renovation work was going on, mostly upstairs which didn't affect me. The room that I was given was excellent, large and spacious. The only downside was the lack of wifi in the room, as I had no privacy when I was conducting my business. The location of the hotel was ideal for my commuting, which made it all the better. I will no doubt be staying here in the future.

Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Leuchar

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed here for a golf weekend. First off all great location with a 10 min max walk to Woodall spa gc or a 2 min drive.
Hotel lovely to look at from the outside but desperately needs a lick of paint as very grotty the closer you get.
Once inside totally blown away by the reception and bar, very nice and very new - bar has a 100" tv I think!!!

Corridors horrid and old but they do say they are being refurbished and desperately need to be.
My room was a double and the two contrasts continued even in there. Main bedroom was clean, and very modern with gret decor. Open then bathroom door and you have stepped back in time, I guess refurb happening at some point.

Food wise the breakfast was nice and enjoyed a very well cooked evening meal. The menu wasn't spectacular but good honest food was done very well.

Overall it has to be 3 / 5 as whist service and some areas are definitely a 5 some are in desperate need of some love and money!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2013

At the risk of writing a moaning overly negative review, here I go..... Over priced, soulless, dated, money spent only on first impressions etc. although our stay was reasonable I may not have been quite as disappointed if the accommodation was cheaper. The reception area was well maintained, on the walls to our room we were greeted by lots of notices about corridors being refurbished but no sign of this happening. The room was ok, clean but paint peeling off the wall where I assume damp was coming through the window. There was a very large tv and the bed was very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and was slightly worried when we were the only table in there! We ordered from the set menu, not a huge choice but a reasonable price and the food was much nicer than expected. Only one other table came in after us, which seems very odd to be so quiet on a Saturday night...... Went for a drink in the bar and there was another 5 customers.... On the plus side breakfast was as much as you could expect from a buffet breakfast. The staff were also all very pleasant! All in all I think if everything was a fair amount cheaper you would brush off a lot of things. But having stayed in a pub room the night before for a lot less money and a far superior room and food I left feeling disappointed.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

This hotel is well past its sell buy date. What was probably a nice hotel once upon a time is now a sorry collection of peeling paint, wayward wiring with dated decor. The current owners appear to have spent the minimum amount possible to get the public areas into an acceptable state, but seem to have spent no money at all on the rooms, corridors and other areas of the hotel. There were signs in the corridors saying "Sorry for the renovations over the next 4 weeks", but these were dated 29th April ... my stay was in August!

As for my room, the carpet was badly worn, there were massive cracks in the basin and no air conditioner. The ridiculously hot towel rail was downright dangerous in such a narrow bathroom and the shower had just 2 temperatures - boiling or freezing! The towel was not changed all week and the small supply of tea, coffee and biscuits was not replenished during my stay.

The food in the restaurant/bar was fine, but not great and the choice for breakfast was extremely limited.

Despite the staff being friendly and courteous, I would not recommend this hotel in its present state.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a super time at the Golf Hotel for this event. We had a lovely, spacious and comfortable room, and the staff, as well as being their usual helpful selves, dressed in 1940's style to add to the atmosphere.
We are vegetarians, and the veggie breakfasts and evening meals were first class.
As always, we were totally happy with our stay, and we are looking forward to our next visit.

1  Thank raymillard
Reviewed 4 August 2013

On arrival we saw paint flaking off outside the building.reception good however the rest of the hotel was crying out for new carpets fresh paint work and to have a major refurbishment.fire doors were wedged open no anti slip mats in baths when using showers .then if you could read old tired hotel information in your room ours had tea/coffee stains on it we were informed that the doors are locked at 11pm and to let reception know if we were going to be back later than 11pm.the gardens resembled a builders yard and it was a very sunny weekend and would have been nice to sit or walk in said gardens ( we never packed hard hats) had I not left my credit card details for payment I would have turned around in car park on arrival and left.

Room Tip: Try another hotel