“First time at The Golf”
Review of The Golf Hotel

The Golf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Woodhall Spa
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Only stayed the one night (27th June 2014) and was mightily impressed the moment I walked through the door.
From the outside the hotel looks very run-down and the carpark needed updating. I did note a lot of workmen around the front of the building and it was quite obvious that a great deal of renovation work was in progress. But once I walked through the old-fashioned porch doors I was quite surprised to see a thoroughly clean & modern reception area much like you get in the more expensive hotel chains like Hilton & Ramada etc.
The reception staff were extremely polite & helpful and check-in was a dream. Following the directions to my room I walked past the restaurant and other seating areas and again, very modern and simple.
My room (Rm 3) was lovely with a view of the front gardens. A cracking size Panasonic TV and the usual comforts one expects nowadays with Tea/Coffee making facilities and an en-suite bathroom & shower. I did find the lighting within the room to be darker than I expected and after having a shower I would normally draw the curtains etc, but on this occasion (due to the poor, in my opinion, lighting) I had to leave the curtains partially open. However, there were net curtains so that would hopefully (from the ouside) remove any embarrassment. The shower was very powerful but extremely controllable. Very user friendly.

Although, on this occasion, I was dining elsewhere I did have a quick look at the restaurant and dinner menu. Again, quite impressed at the choice for both 2 or 3 courses.

Breakfast was cooked to perfection. I didn't fancy a Full English but gave my requirements to the Hostess who was happy to accommodate me.

Checking out was just as easy as arrival and I even had a natter with the owners.

I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Bodeen89

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for one night as we were attending a wedding nearby. The hotel was in a good location, plenty of parking, friendly reception staff and a clean, modern room with a fabulous, spacious bathroom. The only thing that let the room down was the view but I appreciate that not all rooms can have decent views. Anyway this was a rare night away for us, leaving behind our three young children, so of course we were looking forward to a long lie in after the evening's festivities and had already negotiated a late check out. At 7am we were woken by an awful high pitched noise and we couldn't work out where it was coming from. It was loud enough to wake both of us up and got worse as we lay in bed trying to ignore it. I called reception who told me they'd just put the heating on at 7 so it could be related to that and they offered to turn it off again. The noise lowered slightly but then started again full force a few minutes later. My husband eventually tried turning off the radiator and immediately it stopped. Fantastic! But this was forty minutes later and we were both wide awake and feeling very irritated by then!! We explained this to reception on check out and were told they thought there was probably air in the pipes but we were given no apology whatsoever! As parents of young children you really do value the odd night away and we had been looking forward to that lie in for months! Very disappointing!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Apostolino
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Came across the hotel on a trip back to Sheffield from Skegness and decided to do an overnight. My travelling companion and I enjoyed this hotel immensely from start to finish. Adam on reception and bar duties couldn't have been more welcoming, friendly and helpful. A real asset to the business.Our room was very nice and well appointed. The bar prices are very reasonable and so we enjoyed a few drinks outside in the sun. The breakfast was very acceptable too. I would love to stay at this hotel again as it is in a lovely little village.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kevin2211
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed with a golfing party of 7 at the hotel recently. The staff were very good and the service friendly and polite. The hotel has had some refurbishment recently but unfortunately this stops at the room and doesn't go into the bathrooms. Entering the bathroom was like a scene from Ashes to Ashes in that it was like going back to the 70's. Tired and tatty bathroom with no water pressure in the shower. The outside of the hotel also requires some major refurbishment as the paint is peeling off most of the exterior. The grounds also need a lot of work to make this a welcoming venue. Overall food and service good, rooms sadly not.

Room Tip: choose a room on the lower floors to get some water pressure in the shower
1  Thank ag10051
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Very much a mixed bag of experiences at this hotel. Arrived a day before the others and had time to wander a bit by myself. Very well updated in the areas one notices, and looked brilliant. Small room for a single was fine, but look into the bathroom and the tiling was poor, toilet and bath stained and in need of the next on the list for re-furbishment. The outside is as stated by others and again in need of much work.
The star performers were the staff- of many nationalities, and all good communicators and very obliging when asked for anything out of the ordinary.
The dinners we had were excellently prepared and all very well presented. Yes ,some delay between courses, but we were not too worried as we had little else to do apart from chat!
Breakfast was a little disappointing- very sparse in choice, no rolls ,croissants or pastries, just toast your own brown or white sliced bread! No cold meats, cheeses or other savouries. A visit to a continental hotel with their fantastic breakfast choices would be a revelation for the Patels.
Wine prices pretty reasonable at the bar as were all the drinks.
Just remember it is a three star hotel.
Where was the marmite!!

1  Thank DevonDOGGo
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were part of a party of 60 motorcycling Rotarians based at the Golf Hotel for the weekend. Very friendly staff, good food, real ale. Internal refurbishment is well under way, external work would improve first impressions, but do not judge the hotel by the outside.

2  Thank Michael_Studham
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed here for the first time although have been to Woodhall before. We picked this hotel because we got a good deal on the room and it nestles to one end of the high street so good for browsing lot's of little boutique shops and coffee houses. We coffee'd in Kitchenetta which is cute and friendly and the coffee was as good as Costa.

The hotel looks like many of that era but this one has been transformed inside. Our room (120) was a good size, great and comfortable bed, large flat panel TV on the wall, tea and coffee making, hairdryer, dressing table, bedside tables, through to dressing room and wardrobe and then into bathroom. Fully tiled with power shower over bath (my ONLY criticism of the whole experience was that the temperature of the shower varied as though there was a faulty valve somewhere) and lots of shower gel available. Heated towel rail and ample towels etc..

We had two friend join us for dinner who were delighted with the dinner menu and it was all excellent. The service was fast and efficient and the portions more than adequate and well priced. Check out the menu on their web site and costs. Drinks in the bar after and we were given the Sky remote to a 110" flat panel TV in the bar, biggest I have ever seen and we watched an old B&W movie before going to bed. Again, everyone was very friendly. Breakfast, excellent. Help yourself to juices, cereals and fruit and then a full English (fried egg, two rashers smoked back bacon, one sausage, hash brown, beans, mushrooms and a whole tomato) and toast. Jug of coffee and more than enough to burst some shirt buttons. All very fast, well cooked and well presented. So, if I was to give the hotel a 9 out of 10 just because of the shower that would be mean. However, the only thing missing that mattered to me was any form of Wifi, so 9/10 it is.

Room Tip: If a view is important then ask, ours didn't have a view worth mentioning but that isn't wha...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
#7 of 14 in Lincoln
Belton Woods Hotel
Belton Woods Hotel
#1 of 1 in Belton

Been to The Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!