“A really nice place let down by a really poor breakfast.”
Review of The Golf Hotel

The Golf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Woodhall Spa
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Lots of parking, close the everything in Abbey Wood. My room (133) was huge, well equipped with massive TV, lovely bathroom with hyper powered shower and everything you would need for a comfy stay including a lovely bed. My colleagues room was in need of a bit of TLC so maybe some rooms are better than others or have been refurbished at different times.

Hotel staff were really nice and friendly too. We didn’t like the look of the breakfast/dining room as it was devoid of atmosphere so didn’t eat there in the evening but I had a really good night’s sleep there.

Unfortunately, the breakfast in the morning was pretty dire. Cornflakes and toast. Standard bacon and eggs affair and some fruit salad option that looked like it had been put back in the fridge each day after service and simply topped up with crunchy, unripe fruit the following day. Practically no choice of anything unless you want a cooked breakfast. Plus, as I mentioned before, the actual restaurant/breakfast room is pretty nasty with stained carpet and zero atmosphere.

I nearly wrote the review for this place the night before I checked out and had I done that they would have had a glowing review, I’m glad I waited till the morning as the brekky ruined my score.

Such a shame. Would I stay there again? Yes. Would I include breakfast in the booking? No chance.

Room Tip: 133 was a huge room with great bathroom and nice view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Randygit

Reviewed 26 August 2014

looks lovely from outside and the reception area is very modern.
corridors and room a little tired and in need of some tlc - i.e. sink cracked and also the bathroom light fitting. seemed clean though.
bar and meal in bar very good however and extremely well priced.
breakfast was fine - buffet style and decent time frame

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Due to the name of the hotel we were expecting a hotel of a standard befitting a golf club. This is not the case, the golf club being further up the road. The "Golf Hotel" is quite grand from the outside, although the car park area gives the first indication that this hotel is tired. Inside a modern bright reception area leading past the bar and restaurant to our ground floor room. The room itself was large, clean and modern but the torn net curtains let it down, as did the extremely small en suite bathroom which had not been updated for some time and had a cracked sink. The communal area seemed soul-less. We had intended to eat in the restaurant but we would have been the only ones there, so we ate in the bar. Pleasant bar meal and pleasant bar maid and the biggest TV in the world. Ate in the restaurant area for breakfast. Breakfast was a good help yourself full english buffet - no complaints about the food or the breakfast staff but the carpet in the dining area was absolutely filthy and would be best ripped up if it cannot be kept clean. Corridors didn't immediately show anything other than well kept communal areas although we subsequently noticed that all the pictures had been taken off the walls and pictures hooks painted over and left there. All in all attention to detail was lacking. Would not return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian M
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Only stayed one night whilst on business. Outside looks tired and old but the room was lovely, modern, clean and bright and the bathroom had a superb shower. We were pushed for time so decided to eat in the hotel - what a mistake to make. It was a disaster from the bland gammon steak to the frozen chips and the microwaved to death peas. I had ordered the cod and I can't imagine any self respecting fish to admit to owning that scrappy, thin, grey tasteless object. The difference came at breakfast which was good. When we complained both at check out and the evening before about our meal, surprisingly the duty manager could not be found !!!! We were promised a phone call to sort things out and guess what - yes - still waiting !!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Only stayed the one night (27th June 2014) and was mightily impressed the moment I walked through the door.
From the outside the hotel looks very run-down and the carpark needed updating. I did note a lot of workmen around the front of the building and it was quite obvious that a great deal of renovation work was in progress. But once I walked through the old-fashioned porch doors I was quite surprised to see a thoroughly clean & modern reception area much like you get in the more expensive hotel chains like Hilton & Ramada etc.
The reception staff were extremely polite & helpful and check-in was a dream. Following the directions to my room I walked past the restaurant and other seating areas and again, very modern and simple.
My room (Rm 3) was lovely with a view of the front gardens. A cracking size Panasonic TV and the usual comforts one expects nowadays with Tea/Coffee making facilities and an en-suite bathroom & shower. I did find the lighting within the room to be darker than I expected and after having a shower I would normally draw the curtains etc, but on this occasion (due to the poor, in my opinion, lighting) I had to leave the curtains partially open. However, there were net curtains so that would hopefully (from the ouside) remove any embarrassment. The shower was very powerful but extremely controllable. Very user friendly.

Although, on this occasion, I was dining elsewhere I did have a quick look at the restaurant and dinner menu. Again, quite impressed at the choice for both 2 or 3 courses.

Breakfast was cooked to perfection. I didn't fancy a Full English but gave my requirements to the Hostess who was happy to accommodate me.

Checking out was just as easy as arrival and I even had a natter with the owners.

I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Bodeen89
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for one night as we were attending a wedding nearby. The hotel was in a good location, plenty of parking, friendly reception staff and a clean, modern room with a fabulous, spacious bathroom. The only thing that let the room down was the view but I appreciate that not all rooms can have decent views. Anyway this was a rare night away for us, leaving behind our three young children, so of course we were looking forward to a long lie in after the evening's festivities and had already negotiated a late check out. At 7am we were woken by an awful high pitched noise and we couldn't work out where it was coming from. It was loud enough to wake both of us up and got worse as we lay in bed trying to ignore it. I called reception who told me they'd just put the heating on at 7 so it could be related to that and they offered to turn it off again. The noise lowered slightly but then started again full force a few minutes later. My husband eventually tried turning off the radiator and immediately it stopped. Fantastic! But this was forty minutes later and we were both wide awake and feeling very irritated by then!! We explained this to reception on check out and were told they thought there was probably air in the pipes but we were given no apology whatsoever! As parents of young children you really do value the odd night away and we had been looking forward to that lie in for months! Very disappointing!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Apostolino
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Came across the hotel on a trip back to Sheffield from Skegness and decided to do an overnight. My travelling companion and I enjoyed this hotel immensely from start to finish. Adam on reception and bar duties couldn't have been more welcoming, friendly and helpful. A real asset to the business.Our room was very nice and well appointed. The bar prices are very reasonable and so we enjoyed a few drinks outside in the sun. The breakfast was very acceptable too. I would love to stay at this hotel again as it is in a lovely little village.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Coningsby
Stone House Lodge
Stone House Lodge
#2 of 10 in Woodhall Spa

Been to The Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!