“Wonderfully Atmospheric”
Review of Petwood Hotel

Petwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodhall Spa
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed just the one night as I was visiting the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby the next day. I was interested to see and read the 617 Squadron memorabilia and I wasn't disappointed. The hotel has an 'olde-worlde' feel to it in some areas but that was in keeping with my expectation given its recent history. The room I was in had a more modern feel and was very comfortable. Dinner was very good and a hearty breakfast followed the following day. I'll be going back for a longer stay and to visit other WWII sites in the area. Recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,021)

Reviewed 30 January 2012

From start to finish the hotel was fantastic, nothing seemed to much bother for them and service was always with a smile, I got to see a few of the other rooms around the hotel Beech suite is fantastic all the rooms on the first floor overlooking the gardens seemed great with their own balcony type area, unfortunately mine over looked the bins at the back, but hey I spent most of my time with my eyes shut sleeping and everything in the room was fine with nice fresh bedding etc.

The wedding day itself was fantastic, I was the best man and to me it seemed as if the hotel will do as much or as little as you would like them to! From putting up decorations and laying place cards ect.. really takes the stress off the day. The Food was also great, Lamb shank recommended. The service was great it seemed like they replaced the table water not because it was empty but the ice had melted, real service!

The Barman on the evening was also great, he was supposed to lock up by 2 but we kept him there till at least 2:45! And he was still in work for 11 the next day!
Thank you Petwood!

Room Tip: Check in is not till 3 i think, But if you phone in advance or ask at the desk, if your room is read...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Doug_bea
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We booked a two night stay via a Groupon offer with the main aim to celebrate my girlfriends birthday. We got excellent discount on the first night which included a meal and breakfast, we also got champagne and chocolates in the room upon arrival.

As a surprise I had asked the hotel if they could get me a birthday cake and have it delivered to the table after we finished our meal. The majority of this was dealt with by email and the staff were very helpful and even accomodated a last minute change to the cake layout.

Upon arriving the hotel was stunning, the staff were lovely and the surprise cake was not mentioend to my partner. We had lovely big room over looking the front gardens. The champagne and chocolates were a welcome gift which we enjoyed before the meal.

The food was exceptional as was the service. After the meal we were offered coffee and after that was brought to the table the cake was delivered. I had not spoken to any of the staff upon arriving and was delighted how smoothly it all went. My partner was stunned at the surprise and the cake itself was wonderful.

The hotel kindly kept the cake in the fridge until we left and not only did it look good but it tasted superb.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Petwood and are looking to go back later in the year.

A huge thanks to all the staff for keeping the cake a suprise and how wonderfully they presented it all.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody looking to visit the area. As an ex member of the Royal Air Force it was also lovely to be in place that had such great tradition with regards to The Dam Buster Squadron.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 204 which was at the front but overlooking the gardens. It was a wonderful room an...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ritchiemac
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed for 3 nights as the hotel was offering a 'three for two' on a bed, breakfast and evening meal basis. As it was a romantic break, we paid a little extra for a room with a four poster bed. The whole stay can only be described as stunning!!! The room was very large with a seperate living area, massive bathroom with a roll top bath, and of course a large comfortable four poster bed. The room had two large bay windows giving a brilliant view of the grounds, was well decorated and very clean.
The hotel was designed as a stately home with wood panels and a fantastic wooden staircase. It was the officers mess for The 'Dambuster' squadron during the Second World War and retains much of the original character and is covered in history. The grounds are large and offer a very relaxing walk around the fountains, accross the lawns and through the woods. There are numerous rooms were you can sit in front of a large log fire and have a quiet drink. There is free use of the snooker table, and my wife playing for the first time, only just beat me.
All the meals were excellent and offering a varied choice and I can recommend the scallops, followed by fillet steak. The staf could not do enough for us and made us feel very special.
This is a hidden gem and a fantastic hotel. It is perfect place if you want something just a little bit different and want to be pampered. But do not shout too loud about this hotel as we want to keep it as our place to go when we want to be spoilt.

Room Tip: Go for the executive upgrade. It is well worth the extra money just for the stunning views.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TDHNorfolk
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Stayed for one night on a Groupon deal upgraded to Exec room overlooking gardens. Having read some reviews which are not brilliant we went with open mind and left with no complaints and have booked to go again for two nights. The room was lovely, bed really comfy nice pillows, ensuite large and clean, dinner and breakfast excellent. Some stains on public area carpets which lead to the gardens but it's winter ! ! It was my birthday and our wedding anniversary and we had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank SweetAnne58
Reviewed 9 January 2012

i stayed here in the summer of 2011 stunning hotel, lovely food and really polite staff. grounds of hotel were amazing and kept to a high standard. short walk to the quaint village of woodhall spa. definitely stay again

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lynne186356
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My husband and I attended a New Years Eve gala dinner at the Petwood with friends. We stayed for 1 night. Previous reviewers have stated the hotel is shabby in some parts which is true. It is a beautiful old building though with so much history and charm. Our room was adequate and comfortable but the bathroom was small. The carpet was badly stained and needed replacing. We had been given a dog friendly room and the hotel had provided a blanket for her. A thoughtful touch. The location of the hotel is wonderful with spacious grounds which our dog loved. I cannot praise the staff enough. They were professional and willing to help even though they had been working very long hours. The dinner dance was quite expensive but it was New Year. The meal was delicious and enjoyed by all of our party. We would all definitely stay again and have been looking at future events. Woodall spa is a quaint little place which is well worth a visit.

• Stayed: December 2011
The Golf Hotel
The Golf Hotel
#4 of 4 in Woodhall Spa
Brackenborough Hotel

Been to Petwood Hotel? Share your experiences!