“Dambusters reunion morning coffee & lunch”
Review of Petwood Hotel

Petwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodhall Spa
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This was our 4th visit to the Petwood hotel. This time we did not stay as the hotel had been fully booked for months so we just went for morning coffee and lunch and to the reunion.
This is a marvellous place. We love it. Set in beautiful grounds, with a fabulous interior with the famous connection to the 617 dam busters squadron.
The hotel looked beautiful, as it always does. And the staff are so friendly and so helpful.
The young man serving in the squadron bar couldn't be nicer and more helpful, and for his young age had extensive knowledge of the history of the hotel and the squadron.
This is a truly superb hotel, and often has WWII veterans staying. We were lucky enough to meet 4 war veteran's and the lovely Barnes Wallace's daughter.
Oh and lunch was good too !!

Room Tip: When we stayed last, a room at the back overlooking the beautiful gardens was nice.
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your visit and I thank you for your comments about the food, service and staff.

The staff member you mentioned specifically was thrilled with your comments. He is a recent appointment to our team and so I am particularly encouraged that you found him to be knowledgable about the hotel and its history as well as offering excellent customer service.

Your comments have been warmly received by all of the team and I thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Best wishes

Write a ReviewReviews (1,027)

Reviewed 21 May 2013

The Petwood Hotel epitomises the Fawlty Towers era of British hotel experiences. The staff really are ambivalent about the need for customers, it's a throw back to the 70s. The hotel is filled with dusty relics of a bye gone era, and that includes the staff. This is a shame as there is so much history and interesting stories about the Dam busters and local history, and the building and grounds are really lovely. The place could really do with a good clean, and the staff told to get off their back sides and at least told to try and be friendly and look they enjoy working there. If you're in your eighties, and you like the smell of over cooked cabbage, you will probably not notice how bad it actually is.

2  Thank Michael C
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Thank you for your review, however it is disappointing that you have not responded to my private request to discuss it in more detail. I had hoped that by contacting you shortly after your review was posted, we would have the opportunity to discuss what specifically you felt was so poor in order that it could receive my prompt attention.

I am still keen to understand more about your visit and how we failed to meet your expectations and request that you kindly reply to my message with a convenient time for me to call you.

With my thanks and best wishes

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Probably best to start by explaining the review title ......

I am the grandson of a Dambuster. This hotel was used by 617 Squadron during WWII and contains lots of Dambuster memorabilia so has special meaning to me. If I were to rate the hotel based on nostalgia/sentimentality then its a 5*. Well worth a stay to look at all the old signed pictures, photographs, artefacts etc etc.

Putting personal feelings aside, the pros:

Beautiful old building
Extensive grounds, well maintained
Large rooms (we had an Executive room)
Good value - price included room upgrade/dinner/breakfast (perhaps subjective because we all have different budgets but for the history/grandeur of the place, its was very reasonable)

The cons:

A little "tired" in places
Distinctly average dining experience
Under-whelming staff (Meet and great at checkin wasn't welcoming, short measured at the bar on spirits, drinks ordered not turning up, abrupt breakfast staff, departure/checkout lacklustre)
Bedroom lacked sufficient lighting for reading
Bathroom fan was loud

It is important for this hotel to carry on for many years if nothing more than for its history. I have tried to be factual about the place to level set expectations and I can be critical, but hopefully fair.

It is a great place to go and stay, just don't expect top service or food.

2  Thank PJH_EHH
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear DudeyPants,

Thank you for your comprehensive review following your recent stay at The Petwood. Whilst I am enouraged that you found the hotel to be of good value and in a pleasing setting, I was most disappointed to learn that you found the food and service to be under par, especially as these areas are usually well praised by our guests and TripAdvisor reviewers.

I am keen to speak with you directly to learn specifically how we failed to meet your expectations so that these issues can be addressed promptly.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to speaking with you in due course.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

Our stay at the Petwood hotel was brief but enjoyable and opened a window into the past when we were able to look through the Officer's mess memorabilia display relating to the era when this building served as a billet for RAF Officers. Food and service were excellent and the hotel was quiet and in a very peaceful location.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Petwood, Manager at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you for your review. The team and I are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay, commenting particularly on the excellent food and service.

Should you find future travels bring you back to the area we would love the opportunity to welcome you again to The Petwood.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Been to Petwood Hotel quite a few times for meals and stayed in the hotel over night which was really lovely.
We took some of our family for a meal on Saturday May 4th 2013 booked the table for 6 people for 7pm. When we got there table wasn't even set or ready for us, we ordered our food it came before the table was set I ended fetching our conditments.The steak was ok but everything else that came with it was tasteless the chips were rock hard I think they had been reheated. No staff insight to complain to no one came and asked if everything was ok - sorry to say we won;t be eating there again - Disapponted this time. :(

1  Thank debrabrough

I was extremely disappointed to read your review and offer my apologies for a less than satisfactory dining experience in our bar. If I may, I will contact you privately to discuss in more detail and understand what led to a lapse in our usually high customer service standards.

Thank you for bringing the issue to my attention and I apologise once again that we were not able to resolve it on the night. I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

For my 31st birthday I thought I would take my parents back to the petwood for afternoon tea. Unfortunately we did not get it.

I was aware when booking that there was a wedding arriving at 3pm so booked my table for 2:30pm and I was told by staff that the wedding will be separate from the bar so we would not have to queue or have crowds of loud people cramping our stay.

We arrived and noticed that the wedding was already arriving. My parents are disabled and the hotel thought it was appropriate to block all the disabled bays for the wedding cars. My mother who has copd was left breathless and in pain after having to walk further and my farther who has bad hips due to a replacement going wrong left in m ore than necessary pain.

We got in and went to the bar and at this point it was empty. I told the waitress that we had arrived and she told us to take a seat. I assumed someone was coming to take our order. On occasions we have had to order at the bar and on other occasions staff have come to our table so we assumed a waitress would come to us.

We waited for about 5 minutes and then the wedding party started to come into the bar. I was able to flag one waitress down and asked if we could place an order after waiting. I was told that she could not take the order and we had to join the queue of what seemed 50+ people.

There is no way we could do that as there was simply no order within the wedding party.

In the end as the service from staff was appalling, I guess she didn't learn how to write on a piece of paper at school, we decided to leave and go elsewhere.

The Petwood has now lost a regular client due to a lack of organising. We got to the hotel early in case of any possible queues despite being told that the party had its own room.

I have now been put off from visiting the petwood and will not be booking any functions in the near future.

6  Thank Stev35555
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Stayed here for the annual 619 Squadron re-union. It is a lovely hotel with lots of old world character, it makes a lot of its associatted history with the RAF crew who were stationed there during the WWII and has a small bar which remembers the "exploits " of 617 Squadron who are better known as the dambusters. It is set in it own very pleasant and well tended grounds a short walk from the centre of Woodhall spa. The breakfast is of the buffet vareity but fresh and hot, the evening meal I had there was also very good. The staff were very pleasant and helpful as well. Overall a lovely place to stay, particularly suited to conferences, weddings or indeed any sort of large gathering.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the grounds.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Woottos
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thank you for your review. As always it was a pleasure to be the host venue of the 619 Squadron Reunion. Whilst many visitors know of the connection with 617 Squadron, what may not be as commonly known is that 97 and 619 Squadrons had the Petwood as their Officers' Mess first!

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the weekend including the food and service and would recommend for a celebratory gathering.

Sending our best wishes to you and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodhall Spa
#1 of 1 in Branston
Belton Woods Hotel
Belton Woods Hotel
#1 of 1 in Belton

Been to Petwood Hotel? Share your experiences!