“less than expected” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodhall Spa
Kissimmee, Florida
“less than expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

i visited the petwood today for an afternoon tea event which was booked in the garden room for 16 people, when we arrived on the notice board it said we were in the garden room but we were directed to another smaller room and told that it was our mistake (also the notice board NOT) the room was not adequate, we were told we could pay more for another room errrm no!!! when the food arrived it looked lovely, 3rd of the sandwiches were for the 1 vegetarian, the the scones were stale/hard, the mini eclairs had no cream in them and the cup cakes were not soft and fresh. The place was clean but tatty in places. Would NOT recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank elizabethbB31
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review, however I am so sorry that the afternoon tea experience fell below your expectations. The organiser booked the Squadron Bar for the afternoon tea and so I am sorry the welcome board mistakenly directed you to the Garden Room. The Squadron Bar accommodates up to 20 people, whereas the Garden Room can comfortably cater up to 30. The Garden Room was available on Saturday afternoon and was offered as an alternative.

The tea menu ordered comprised a selection of sandwiches including beef sirloin, ham, cheese and tomato, poacher cheese, tuna and cucumber and egg mayonnaise and so I am sorry if you felt there was insufficient selection for non-vegetarians. We are always happy to cater with alternative fillings when advised by the client. Scones are freshly made each day and the cakes were also freshly made for this event.

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy the celebratory afternoon tea and once again offer my apologies.

Best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Sometimes you just need to take time out from the rat race and that's exactly what we did when booking the Petwood. Like steam from a hot cup of tea the stress disappeared and you can do nothing but relax in the most picturesque environment, luxurious bedrooms, food and on hand staff who could not have been more attentive to our every need. Thank you so much to everyone at the Petwood for having us. Highly recommended and we shall be returning.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay. I am extremely pleased that you felt The Petwood offered everything you needed for an enjoyable and relaxing night away. The team and I are delighted to receive your feedback and thank you for your recommendation.

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Totally agree with recent very positive reviews. Having used the hotel for our car club AGM two years ago we had no doubts about returning this year, we were not disappointed! The hotel is clearly a popular venue for wedding receptions and afternoon teas but is also well suited for conferences or business meetings, not only does it have facilities to cater for large numbers it also has ample car parking. Dinner on the saturday evening was most enjoyable, the beef I had was as good as anything I have eaten recently - after a nightcap it was up to my room which happened to be twin bedded, it came with the usual accoutrements while the en suite was spotless and had The White Company toiletries.
One reviewer was disappointed with the garden, I can only say that while it's not at it's best at this time of year it was certainly well looked after and was neat and tidy. The hotel itself was clean and the furnishings appeared to be in good order, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Petwood to any group of car buffs or aviation enthusiasts, the link with 617 squadron has already been mentioned here. The only downside was the location, somewhat remote for our members who happened to live in the south west or the south east for that matter.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you so much for your review. It was a pleasure to be the venue for your car club AGM and I am delighted that you found the facilities to offer everything you required.

We love hosting your event and hope to welcome you again in the future when our gardens have been restored to their former Edwardian splendour.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor users.

Gainsborough, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Edwardian charm in spades, and steeped in RAF history. Close to local amenities, but in a quiet country setting. The friendly and courteous staff are very helpful. In place of chrome, plate glass and marble, you will find dark oak, brass and an abundance of elegance. If you appreciate aviation heritage take note of the original bouncing bomb in the car par, and inside there are a feast of exhibits adorning the walls which could occupy you for hours. 617 Squadron (the 'Dambusters') operated from RAF Woodhall Spa from January 1944 to May 1945, the Petwood Hotel serving as the Officer's Mess. Food was rationed then of course, but far from it today; the meals are excellent. If Golf is your hobby, Woodhall Spa will delight. Finally, the hotel has a quality born of its age, atmosphere. In this it is priceless.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to The Petwood, noting particularly the rich aviation heritage, delicious food and excellent nearby golf facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

With thanks and best wishes
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

BOMBER trip location 10/10 in all respects clean& well maintained old values in dacore and appearance fully functioning equipment that is dated now but but why change for changes sake i
just stayed at the petwood hotel a great and relaxing experience staff very helpful and kind and considerate I will return to see more of the grounds and take more photos.I could not pick fault in anything easy going staff make the ambiance very easy to fall in with.there is plenty to read look at and get interested in open fires and central heating make a welcoming home at the end of a long day discovering lincolnshire I will certainly do all I can to make peoples opinions of the place
sing the praises of staff and location by recommending it to all good luck in other hotels

Room Tip: i had 228 1600hrs typhoons return to base past the window to RAF CONINGSBY get early morning calls...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you so much for your review following your recent visit to Woodhall Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the welcoming atmosphere and friendliness of our team. Thank you for sharing your experience and photographs with other TripAdvisor users.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon, perhaps in time for the Woodhall Spa 1940s Festival on 19th and 20th July 2014.

Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

A trip to Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire is always a treat for us - steeped in history and nestling in glorious Lincolnshire countryside the town is full of hidden gems. From the National Golf Centre to the Kinema in the Woods, the town is an absolute delight. But among the many hotels, undoubtedly the most impressive is the Petwood Hotel with its historic association with the Dam Busters Squadron. Approaching this sprawling mock Tudor mansion you experience a sense that you have stepped back in time to a more relaxed and elegant era. It is no wonder that we chose to celebrate a special birthday here this evening. A welcoming fire was burning in the lounge where we chose our meal and had pre-dinner drinks. Whilst not a huge menu, the choices were interesting and inviting and seemed to cover all tastes. Our meals were absolutely excellent - beautifully cooked food with novel an well matched tastes and textures. The staff were friendly and although we experienced a couple of delays, they were helpful and attentive in resolving them. We wanted this evening to be special and remembering our previous experiences at the Petwood, we chose to return. We were not disappointed - a wonderful evening with impressive food and caring staff. We look forward to another visit soon to see the amazing display of rhododendrons along the rhododendron walk and to share afternoon tea. Thanks to all the restaurant staff, especially to Neil, for a lovely evening, and our compliments to the chef.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have small balconies overlooking the garden
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed delicious food and excellent service during your celebratory meal at the Petwood. Thank you also for particularly commenting on the contributions from Neil, Chef and the restaurant team.

The rhododendrons will be out soon and the garden will be a vision of pink. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again to enjoy this magic season in our garden.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

What a shame.

I had emailed and called the Petwood MONTHS in advance to book a table for Afternoon Tea for Mother's Day, stating one dietary requirement for a party of 3 people. One of the party was coeliac and it was confirmed by email (two different receptionists) and phone (bar manager), that this would not be a problem and the hotel could definitely cater for us and in fact they make their own gluten free scones which would be served in afternoon tea. I explained it was a strict coeliac (avoid cross contamination in the kitchen) with also no oats or oat flour.

I drove two and half hours to the venue to take my mum out for a Mother’s Day treat.

I was informed on the phone that there was a wedding taking place that day, but we would be able to dine in the drawing room from 4pm, so I booked our table for 4pm.

When we arrived I needed to queue at the bar for 5 minutes to be taken to our reserved table.
Once seated by the bar manager (Simon), I was informed that a colleague would bring us some menus. Ten minutes later we were still waiting for the menu, so I had to queue again at the bar for around 7 minutes to finally be given some menus.

Once we had decided on our selection, I needed to queue for another 5 minutes to place the order. I stressed again that there was a coeliac and to mention to the kitchen it was a strict coeliac and not someone on a faddy gluten free diet, I also ordered a decaf coffee for the coeliac.
The waitress (Zoe) actually came over to our table and ensured us that everything would be OK!

Ten minutes later the afternoon tea was delivered to our table. The decaf coffee option had not been passed on, so we were brought a normal coffee by a waiter to quickly follow by the decaf coffee by Zoe.

The gluten free option had 3 small finger sandwiches, a wedge of cheese, some biscuits (which did not look gluten free) and two slices of fruit cake (again which didn’t look gluten free) and a serving of butter, jam and cream (to go onto what, I wasn’t sure as there was no sign of the gluten free scones).
I went back up to the bar and asked Zoe if she could check what the biscuits and fruit loaf were as they looked like they weren’t suitable. She was going to check with the kitchen.

10 to 15 minutes later, and we still hadn’t had a response. I had to queue again at the bar to ask Simon the bar manager if his colleague was actually checking the suitability as the biscuits definitely looked like they contained oats and to check what the fruit loaf was as I was told on the phone there would be gluten free scones (which were not present).

A phone call later and I was told by the bar manager “no and no”. I queried, “no they don’t contain oats”, to which the reply was “no, neither are suitable”.

I asked how on earth this could happen when it was clearly asked upon ordering and they had had months’ notice and informed me they were able to cater. I asked for the plate to be cleared and for a refund. I was refunded but the plate was never cleared.

The bar manager then came over after investigating and said that the biscuits were gluten free oats, I explained it didn’t matter if they were gluten free oats, I specified NO OATS. Apparently the fruit loaf contained rye (gluten).

The duty manager (James) then came to the table and said “I hold my hands up, it was my fault, I put them on the plate, and it was a genuine mistake”. I explained that you can’t make mistakes when someone’s health is involved. It should not have happened and had we not been paranoid to check everything again before eating, we would have spent the evening in the local A&E.

James replied that he DID in fact have catering training but we asked why this then happened and were just offered an invite back “on him”. I explained we would NEVER eat back there every again and would just like a full refund so we can go home. We were refunded.

This is outrageous service. Not only was I not able to sit at the table with my mum due to needing to visit the bar SIX times to chase things, coeliac disease isn’t just a fad diet, it is an auto immune disease with serious consequences. We explained to James that if the hotel cannot actually cater for coeliacs and ensure adequate checks are in place not to poison people, not to even offer the option. I would rather know ahead that coeliacs aren’t catered for, than to look forward to something for months to then nearly ended up in A&E in agony. What if we hadn’t have checked – the poisoned food would have been eaten.

Our neighbouring table also experienced issues with their afternoon tea. When it arrived to three people, they had three scones yet one serving of butter, jam and cream to share between three. They also were not given plates to eat their food off and when they did remove a sandwich from the server, they saw that the food had been place on a dirty (unwashed) server. This was returned but they were still waiting (half an hour) for a new selection or refund.

This is a popular hotel in the area and yet on this afternoon they have lost 5 local customers and one who will pass on the dangers of attempting to eat there if you are coeliac.

In this day and age, mistakes like this should not happen.
Petwood Hotel – sort yourselves out. stop offering coeliac options when in reality you haven’t got a clue.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Miss_Monkey_Moo
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the enormously disappointing afternoon tea experience. We were all devastated to learn what happened, especially as the dietary details were taken down at the time and referenced in our weekly operations meeting. To not deliver it on the day was upsetting and inexcusable. The Duty Manager referred the incident to our General Manager and she subsequently contacted you to discuss your review.

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experience with the General Manager. She reiterated how sorry we are and you said you understood how apologetic our team was on the day. Despite this we fully appreciate your present loss of confidence but are encouraged that you may consider returning at a later date. Please know that this event has prompted a major operational review and we trust that you will see positive results from this in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback which has enabled us to improve our service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodhall Spa
Washingborough Hall Country House Hotel
The Golf Hotel
The Golf Hotel
#4 of 4 in Woodhall Spa

Been to Petwood Hotel? Share your experiences!