“Petwood hotel terrace bar meals”
Review of Petwood Hotel

Petwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodhall Spa
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We visit this hotel on frequent regular basis. We had lunch there to-day on the terrace and were very dissatisfied There was no bread with our starters and when we asked if we might have some our waiter said he could not serve any until we made a request at the bar. There were over twenty people queuing at the bar so we didn't bother. Our main course was served without gravy, again we were told to que at the bar to request some! We told our waiter we wished to speak to someone re our dissatisfaction but no one came. We were six people dining. Not good enough Petwood, not good enough at all

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Chrissie F
There are newer reviews for Petwood Hotel

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Expected more of this hotel
The rooms were very shabby.The carpets were badly stained.The walls scuffed.This hotel is badly in need of updating.There were no trail maps or croquet as advertised
The staff were too busy with various wedding parties to deal reasonably with requests from 'ordinary' guests

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for your review, however I was so sorry to read of your disappointment. I am pleased to inform you that we have a schedule of refurbishment, part of which includes a series of bedrooms being re-carpeted this week and next.

We have historic woodland walks set beyond the gardens, through rhododendron tunnels and purposely defined by avenues of trees. We do not have specific maps for these, however I take on board your suggestion that this would be an improvement. I am sorry that the croquet sets had been removed for repair and you were not able to play, especially as the Duty Manager dedicated a good deal of time to your request and attempted to find an alternative croquet set.

Most disappointing of all was your impression that leisure guests and wedding guests are treated differently by our staff. There are many facets to our business and it is essential that a good balance is struck between them all. The most important issue to us is that all guests have a fantastic experience of The Petwood. In previous reviews leisure guests have complimented us on achieving this balance and maintaining consistently high levels service to "non-wedding" guests. Please accept my sincerest apologies if you felt this was not your experience.

I would be delighted to welcome you to The Petwood again in the future to demonstrate how your feedback has been taken on board and implemented.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was in the area and needed somewhere to stay for one night and due to everywhere else being full I booked the petwood.
Firstly the lady who took my booking and I met on arrival was very helpful and friendly so top marks to her.
I paid £90.00 for bed and breakfast and to be honest I was expecting a very nice room for this amount. The room I was allocated was rm 221, this room was not very big, there we're marks and scuffs on the walls, the bathroom was like something out of the 1970s and in desperate need of refurbishment. The view I had was over the roof tops of other buildings so no view at all. For £90.00 room and breakfast I would have expected luxury, however the only luxurious thing to be fair were the white fluffy towels and nice bedding.
As I was on my own I chose just to have a meal in the bar, I chose a sandwich and some fries. The sandwich was ok, however the fries were awful, home cooked chips that were cooked and then re fried and very greasy and some still undercooked in the middle. Towards the end of my food the batman came to see if the chips everything was ok, I explained about the chips and fair enough he said he would get me some more, no point I'd nearly finished my sandwich and I'd been put off the chips to be honest. Now I used to work in a restaurant and if an item was not upto scratch we would deduct it from the bill. Ok the chips weren't expensive, it's all down to customer service and having the savvy!!
Breakfast was very good, however the waiting staff were not friendly and seemed pretty stressed and we're clattering plates around, not what you would expect in a 3 star hotel.
The history and the grounds which I have to say are stunning are what sells this hotel. They need to up there game though as they now have a lot of competition in woodhall with the inn which is a lovely modern hotel that also provides excellent service.
I was very disappointed as the petwood was a hotel I've always wanted to stay in but never did as is expensive and now I have stayed there it has spoilt the image I had of it in a lot of ways.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TedBearSue
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Petwood Hotel on your recent visit to Woodhall Spa. I am so sorry, however, that it did not meet your expectations and you did not enjoy the freshly cooked homemade chips served with your meal in the Terrace Bar. Although you received great service from our Receptionist, enjoyed comfortable bedding and fluffy towels, a wonderful historic atmosphere and well kept, extensive grounds, I am sorry that you were disappointed with the room décor. We are undertaking a gradual refurbishment programme and are addressing the cosmetic aspects you refer to in your review. I hope that on a future visit you will see our progress and offer your feedback.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We've stayed at the Petwood several times before, and have even given them a very good review. But this time we were put in an awful room, which would not be on a par with a decent bed and breakfast. How can a hotel have lovely rooms and dreadful rooms offered at the same price. The room was small, dingy and needed total upgrading, it is not fit to be let as a three star room. We spent over £160 on one nights bed, breakfast and dinner and would have been better going to the local Premier Inn and eating at the adjoining restaurant. It was a very disappointing stay and we will definitely not be staying again or recommending to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pollypie186356
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for your review. However I was extremely disappointed to see that you felt your recent stay did not meet the expectations from previous visits. Having contacted you privately to request an opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail, I hope to speak to you soon to understand what specifically you feel requires our prompt attention.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and I look forward to hearing your specific feedback to help us willingly improve our offering.

With best wishes

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Keen Golfers will know the two courses at Woodhall Spa are "bucket list" venues. For those of us that have an interest in WW11 aircraft history The Petwood served as the mess for 617(Dambusters) squadron. The hotel offers golf, DBB packages. Four of us played The Bracken on the first day, The Hotchkins on the second. The hotel booked the tee times. Both courses are very popular, so early booking strongly advised. Dinner was very good, those that had a "Full English" breakfast were very satisfied. My kippers were tiny fillets, grilled almost to a crisp, the only minor disappointment. The staff were charming throughout and suggested we take a drink into the Squadron bar, which holds some very interesting artefacts. The ambience is genteel, rather than lively, which suited us very well. Recommended.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent visit. I am delighted that The Petwood offered everything you wanted from your golf break, including good food and the right ambience.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your golfing party to Woodhall Spa and The Petwood again.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

A deal at the Petwood Hotel was ideal for a Sunday night and two rounds on the Bracken and Hotchkin courses, which were superb. Special treat to sit in the Squadron bar among historic dambusters, although the hotel itself was pretty much average.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank PaulRStamford
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for your reviewing your recent golf break. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the wonderful courses at Woodhall Spa Golf Club. It is great to have such fabulous facilities in our village.

Always keen to know how we can improve what we do, I would love the opportunity to hear your feedback in more detail about how we can enhance our offering and, if I may, I will contact you privately to discuss this in more detail.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Steeped in history, amazing location, but, needs an update. The room was very spacious, but finish was poor quality. 2 bulbs blown in chandelier, decoration was very dated, and tired. Shame, lovely building.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy G
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for your review, kindly commenting on the setting and history of the Petwood. As we progressively refurbish our bedrooms, I hope that you will see your comments incorporated when you next visit.

With thanks and best wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodhall Spa
Washingborough Hall Country House Hotel
The Golf Hotel
The Golf Hotel
#4 of 4 in Woodhall Spa

Been to Petwood Hotel? Share your experiences!