“Overpriced and lax service”

Kitchenetta Delicatessen & Coffee shop
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 29 May 2014

After a considerable wait we were served a tea (£2.29 for a single teabag, no milk) and a small coffee with too much milk added (I had asked for it to be served separately) which obliterated the coffee flavour. The "blondie" was dry and sugary. Other cakes were vastly overpriced at £3 per slice. My husband's chorizo sausage roll had no hint of chorizo and was very bland. Not a hit, and I would not visit again.

1  Thank borderwoman
Etta C, Owner at Kitchenetta Delicatessen & Coffee shop, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Oh dear! Not a very good visit! Hopefully I can give you a few answers to your review. I'm so sorry you had to wait so long, we have been having troubles with staffing this week (our manager is on honeymoon and our other two members of staff have been very ill) so all last week it was only myself available to serve customers - which during half term is clearly not ideal! We would usually have three members of staff on during a busy period like this.

The tea is £1.80 a pot, not £2.29 - it has always been since we opened. If you have been overcharged and have the receipt please let me know and I will re-inburse you for any mistakes that could have been made. I also apologise about the coffee - if we had known it was too milky, I would have been more than happy to make it again for you. After some feedback on the Chorizo sausage rolls we have made them less spicy and garlicy, which up to now we've had a great response - it's always tricky trying to make sure our products are to everyones taste. Perhaps we need to turn it up a bit to reach somewhere in the middle? I will continue with their development.

Lastly I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy the cakes or the blondes - we have always been told they're are one of the best things about the place. They are all homemade, using free range, local eggs and organic flour from the Maud Foster mill in Boston - hence they are priced accordingly. The cake slices are huge by anyones standard (1/8 of a 9" cake!) - and I am told on regular basis to make them smaller, but have resisted for fear of someone thinking they weren't generous enough.

Hopefully this goes someway to help answer your review - perhaps you might give us another chance where we should be able to give you a better experience.

Many thanks,

Etta

There are newer reviews for Kitchenetta Delicatessen & Coffee shop

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Two quality coffees - and some wonderful nutty cake. Right on the main street and excellent derive. Free wi-fi. Recommended.

Etta C, Owner at Kitchenetta Delicatessen & Coffee shop, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

So glad you enjoyed the your visit, we always have lots of cakes and the coffee will carry on flowing, so hopefully we'll be seeing you again soon!
Thanks, Etta

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I probably use this place to death bit there's a reason for that. In a word - quality! It's like my second office with a fantastic twist - I get to chat to the lovely staff. They get to know their clients names and always have a friendly and professional persona. I would recommend this clean, lovely atmosphered, restaurant/deli to anyone - and I do on a daily basis. Thanks again to the team.

1  Thank Galv1972

Hi Galvin,

Thank you so much, it's great to hear that a regular customer is still pleased about the goings on in the shop and we're not beginning to slack as the year goes on! Looking forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again! Etta

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Popped in for coffee only today and we were very very pleased. Espresso was the best we have found in Lincolnshire and my Mocha was excellent. Bravo and see you very soon.

1  Thank Contessa

So glad you enjoyed the coffee and the Mocha, it was lovely to properly meet you too. Hopefully we'll be seeing you again soon! Thank again, Etta

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Having read other people's reviews, couldn't wait to try this place. Disappointed! Absolutely no eye contact from two members of staff - we stood at counter and it was as if we were invisible. Eventually they noticed us. No menus, just a board with details of sandwiches , drinks etc, so we had to relay info to the rest of our party as we didn't want to lose our table. The baguettes were tasty but no sprinkles for the cappuccino! The male member of staff then decided to try the friendly approach but it was a bit too late. Overall, disappointed, and don't want to return. Not much in the deli part of the establishment either.

Etta C, Owner at Kitchenetta Delicatessen & Coffee shop, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hello, I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to Kitchenetta. It is clear from your comments on this occasion we weren't being our usual friendly self, and as a result your experience wasn't as enjoyable - the weekend is our busiest time and it is sometimes a struggle to give our customers as much attention as we would like. We always put chocolate sprinkles on our cappuccinos, however we add them before we add the milk, so we can attempt a bit of coffee art - however on this occasion it's clear it wasn't achieved and your coffee looked just white not the top - We will continue to practise to master this art! As I'm sure you saw when you visited the shop it is pretty tiny, and as a result of feedback from other customers, last month we removed some shelving to install some more seating (the bench and table seating running around the corner on the left hand side). consequently I have had to reduce my deli offering, which is a massive shame, but I felt it more important to be able to offer seats than an extensive deli range. As you might know we are still in our first year at Kitchenetta, so we're very much in the learning curve of the business and things like menus on the tables is clearly an oversight on our part, however due to our menu changing fairly regularly it might be a costly exercise to implement immediately until we have worked out what works the best. I know you said you would not be keen to visit again, but I hope you will take our response on board and perhaps give us the opportunity to do a better job next time. Thank again, Etta