“Wonderful, Quirky, Delightfully Eccentric and Unmissable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodhall Spa
Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage
Ranked #4 of 10 Woodhall Spa B&B and Inns
Sheffield, England
“Wonderful, Quirky, Delightfully Eccentric and Unmissable”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

James at the Tourist Information said that this place was just down a gravel track from the main road... a mile later... during which we encountered two barn owls, a pair of nesting buzzards, several rabbits and a badger who accompanied us for around quarter of a mile, we found this little jewel set right in the heart of the Lincolnshire countryside. Now, don't misunderstand me, the little jewel is not the house... it's Barbara. The house is wonderful and the contents are eclectic... Miss Faversham springs to mind... the rooms, and we inspected them all, are spacious, extremely clean and well provided. In the Balcony Room (the best if you can get it) there are armchairs in cream leather, huge beds and (obviously) a brilliant balcony. The shower in that room is the most hi-tech gadget I've ever been washed in! But I digress... from the moment we entered nothing was too much trouble. Breakfasts are a host of decisions. Never before have I been asked which type of sausages I prefer, or how many would I like, or offered 3 kinds of bacon, 3 ways of cooking for my eggs and how much of each one. The fruit plates are almost a shame to eat, it's akin to destroying a work of art.
Barbara treated us to breakfast in the garden while we were there, seating us around a huge circular table in the sunshine, ably assisted by Reg and the cleaner/room maid. Barbara doesn't get around too quickly now and if you don't mind passing her things occasionally then the resulting conversations are erudite, entertaining and intelligent, but always with a slight edge of humour.
Carry on Barbara.. for many years to come I hope.
Bill

Room Tip: Try for the balcony room. The mirror wardrobes give the illusion of a mansion hall, but all the room...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cybermouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Stayed 3 nights in the Monet room, our friends enjoyed the massive Balcony Room. A really quiet retreat in rural Lincolnshire but within easy reach of all the attractions of Lincoln and surrounding area. We were looked after well by Barbara and her staff, the breakfasts were large and filling (dont set off the smoke alarm though when toasting your own bread!!), the rooms were warm and welcoming and we all slept well. Cant really ask much more from this well-managed B&B

Using Kirkstead Old Mill as our base we easily visited: Lincoln & its stunning Cathedral, RAF Scampton Aviation Museum, East Kirkby's Lincolnshire Aviation Centre, Kinema in the Woods, the Dambusters Memorial in Woodhall Spa, Petwood Hotel & its Squadron Bar, Hemswell Antiques Centre etc plus eating locally each evening

Room Tip: There's only two - the Balcony Room is larger but costs a little more. We stayed in the Monet an...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Hostess Barbara went out of her way to make us welcome, supply maps and directions. The B&B is beautifully appointed with very large rooms, huge bathrooms and the best showers in the UK. Beautifully presented fresh fruit before a well cooked breakfast. The balcony room overlooks the garden where you could sit in the morning and enjoy the sun. Quiet location not far from the local pub which served good evening meals

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I spent two nights here in early January. Within 10 minutes of arriving, I felt that I was being taken care of as one of Barbara's family. The Cottage is located close to the Witham River; it is warm and cosy; the rooms are spacious; and the breakfasts are excellent. I had to leave very early on my last day, so Barbara packed a lunch for my journey (in addition to the breakfast she left out) and supplemented it with a box of shortbreads I had admired one teatime! Best B&B exprience of my life!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank ks21604
Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Rang Barbara the night before having made a last minute decision to visit Woodhall Spa and give my dear wife a suprise two night break. The cottage far exceeded all my widest dreams for it's location and the wonderful reception we received on arrival. We stayed in the Monet room, which we found excellent, cosy with all the little extras you could only imagine. It was so peaceful and the bed was fantastic! Barbara is a truly wonderful host and although her son and his wife were staying over, we were invited to join in with the family in a game of Rummikub, which was great fun. Breakfast was wonderful, such a choice and well presented. We always felt part of the family whilst staying and can't wait until we return soon. Thank you Barbara, Reg and all the staff for making our stay such a pleasent one.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We loved our stay at Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage!! We decided earlier in the week that we were going to have a weekend visiting National Trust properties and that we would look for the most central place to stay on the Saturday night. Taking the six properties (Stainsby Mill, Hardwick Hall, The Workhouse, Tattershall Castle, Belton House and Woolsthorpe Manor) into consideration we decided on Woodhall Spa (never heard of the place before) and then used Trip Advisor to see what accommodation was there.

Again, Trip Advisor came up trumps!!! I emailed Barbara and within 30 mins I had a reply that the Balcony Room was available! Following a couple of e-mail exchanges and a phone call we had everything in place. Barbara is very thorough with finding out our likes and dislikes and endeavours to accommodate. Her website is one of the most informative I have come across. We arrived (the cottage is situated at the end of a dirt track; easily driven, but means that we are in a very quiet location) just before the expected time and Barbara was on hand for a cheery welcome. As we were rushing out for a meal (the meal was booked by Barbara) and then to the “Kinema in the Wood” (also highly recommended for a different cinema experience) we did not have time for a welcome cup of tea. Barbara took our breakfast order and off we went.

Our room was spotlessly clean; it has mirrored cupboards, remote controlled beds and a “space-age “shower cubicle (which was easy to operate). We had a lovely restful sleep in a comfortable bed, room at the right temperature and it was ever so quite.
The breakfast was first class; all cooked to order, with quality ingredients. We had a lovely chat with Barbara and then we were on our way, a short distance, to our first visit of the day.
We highly recommend and do hope to return.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M1BDA
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

This accommodation exceeded my highest hopes. I have just returned home after staying in the Kingfisher suite and, as a disabled wheelchair user, I found the accommodation of a higher standard than even that of my own home and that's saying something! Barbara is a lovely lady and I reiterate everything already written in previous reviews. As for the room being suitable for the most disabled persons, I would think so. No expense has been spared and the decor is gorgeous too. I just MUST go back again before too long. Thank you Barbara for absolutely everything, including the room, the shower room, the breakfast and the garden, all of which are accessible to the wheelchair user. Thanks also to all other staff some whom I met including Reg and Claire. Again, thank you all. Love Anais xx

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anais1957
KirksteadWoodhallSpa, Owner at Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
I'm so glad that you were comfortable during your brief visit to Woodhall Spa. It is such a pleasure to share this peaceful corner of Lincolnshire with our guests, including those who can benefit from our accessible facilities. Thank you for finding the energy to review my home, and in so doing help other wheelchair users to get out and about. I think it is about time I added some photos of the Kingfisher Suite to this site. I look forward to welcoming you again, and I will pass on your compliments to my valuable helpers, Barbara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodhall Spa
The Leagate Inn
#1 of 1 in Coningsby
The Admiral Rodney Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House
Washingborough Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage? Share your experiences!