“Very good B&B with excellent service and superb breakfast!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodhall Spa
Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage
Ranked #1 of 10 Woodhall Spa B&B and Inns
“Very good B&B with excellent service and superb breakfast!”
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Whilst further from Woodhall Spa than I would have liked (about 10 minutes by car into the village), the welcome I received from Barbara more than compensated for the distance. The Monet Bedroom was very clean and comfortable with tea/coffee making facilities and your own personal fridge!). My bedroom also had a spacious ensuite bathroom (with a great shower I might add).
The fantastic and genuine service was only surpassed by the quality of the breakfast (especially the Lincolnshire sausages!)
The drive in from the main road takes you on what I can only describe as a dirt track which is a little bumpy in places (and perhaps not ideal for the car's tyres!). However I would reiterate that the personal customer service and generous breakfast more than made up for it!
I'd be happy to stay there again and would recommend it to others wanting a peaceful B&B with warm, caring service. Thanks Barbara!

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
KirksteadWoodhallSpa, Owner at Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thank you, Lee, for adding to our Trip Advisor reviews. The farm track is 1.1 miles long, so we only welcome guests when it is in a reasonable condition, and travelling down it carefully often allows one to view some of the abundant wild life. The latest visitor is an egret who fishes in the beck. A lot of our guests come back time after time just to enjoy the guiet, tranguil atmosphere, and of course the Gold Award breakfasts, which I really enjoy preparing. Barbara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I've now stayed here a couple of times and will continue to do so, as Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage has everything you could want and more from a B&B. In a beautiful and secluded spot down a track you are deep in the countryside and warmly welcomed by Barbara. The rooms are spotlessly clean and have every home comfort you could want, and if you think of something thats not there, I'm sure Barbara would get it for you. The breakfasts are delicious, homecooked food and a huge choice. Highly recommended. I'll be back soon.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Sheffield, England
Reviewed 26 August 2012

James at the Tourist Information said that this place was just down a gravel track from the main road... a mile later... during which we encountered two barn owls, a pair of nesting buzzards, several rabbits and a badger who accompanied us for around quarter of a mile, we found this little jewel set right in the heart of the Lincolnshire countryside. Now, don't misunderstand me, the little jewel is not the house... it's Barbara. The house is wonderful and the contents are eclectic... Miss Faversham springs to mind... the rooms, and we inspected them all, are spacious, extremely clean and well provided. In the Balcony Room (the best if you can get it) there are armchairs in cream leather, huge beds and (obviously) a brilliant balcony. The shower in that room is the most hi-tech gadget I've ever been washed in! But I digress... from the moment we entered nothing was too much trouble. Breakfasts are a host of decisions. Never before have I been asked which type of sausages I prefer, or how many would I like, or offered 3 kinds of bacon, 3 ways of cooking for my eggs and how much of each one. The fruit plates are almost a shame to eat, it's akin to destroying a work of art.
Barbara treated us to breakfast in the garden while we were there, seating us around a huge circular table in the sunshine, ably assisted by Reg and the cleaner/room maid. Barbara doesn't get around too quickly now and if you don't mind passing her things occasionally then the resulting conversations are erudite, entertaining and intelligent, but always with a slight edge of humour.
Carry on Barbara.. for many years to come I hope.
Bill

Room Tip: Try for the balcony room. The mirror wardrobes give the illusion of a mansion hall, but all the room...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cybermouse
Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Stayed 3 nights in the Monet room, our friends enjoyed the massive Balcony Room. A really quiet retreat in rural Lincolnshire but within easy reach of all the attractions of Lincoln and surrounding area. We were looked after well by Barbara and her staff, the breakfasts were large and filling (dont set off the smoke alarm though when toasting your own bread!!), the rooms were warm and welcoming and we all slept well. Cant really ask much more from this well-managed B&B

Using Kirkstead Old Mill as our base we easily visited: Lincoln & its stunning Cathedral, RAF Scampton Aviation Museum, East Kirkby's Lincolnshire Aviation Centre, Kinema in the Woods, the Dambusters Memorial in Woodhall Spa, Petwood Hotel & its Squadron Bar, Hemswell Antiques Centre etc plus eating locally each evening

Room Tip: There's only two - the Balcony Room is larger but costs a little more. We stayed in the Monet an...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Hostess Barbara went out of her way to make us welcome, supply maps and directions. The B&B is beautifully appointed with very large rooms, huge bathrooms and the best showers in the UK. Beautifully presented fresh fruit before a well cooked breakfast. The balcony room overlooks the garden where you could sit in the morning and enjoy the sun. Quiet location not far from the local pub which served good evening meals

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I spent two nights here in early January. Within 10 minutes of arriving, I felt that I was being taken care of as one of Barbara's family. The Cottage is located close to the Witham River; it is warm and cosy; the rooms are spacious; and the breakfasts are excellent. I had to leave very early on my last day, so Barbara packed a lunch for my journey (in addition to the breakfast she left out) and supplemented it with a box of shortbreads I had admired one teatime! Best B&B exprience of my life!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank ks21604
Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Rang Barbara the night before having made a last minute decision to visit Woodhall Spa and give my dear wife a suprise two night break. The cottage far exceeded all my widest dreams for it's location and the wonderful reception we received on arrival. We stayed in the Monet room, which we found excellent, cosy with all the little extras you could only imagine. It was so peaceful and the bed was fantastic! Barbara is a truly wonderful host and although her son and his wife were staying over, we were invited to join in with the family in a game of Rummikub, which was great fun. Breakfast was wonderful, such a choice and well presented. We always felt part of the family whilst staying and can't wait until we return soon. Thank you Barbara, Reg and all the staff for making our stay such a pleasent one.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
#4 of 4 in Woodhall Spa
Stone House Lodge
Stone House Lodge
#3 of 10 in Woodhall Spa

Been to Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage? Share your experiences!