“Not freindly and need to revised rules!”
Review of Kingwood Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sibu
Kingwood Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Sibu
Kuching, Malaysia
“Not freindly and need to revised rules!”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Was there conducting a function, so booked a room there. Their sales staffs attitude are those that can really need to be improve, not freindly at all!

Ordered room service, force me to pay by cash as they did not have swipe enough on my card when I put a deposit. Management decision! Go Figures!

Rooms are ok, nothing too fanciful, hotel food was good and cheap, but the service really needs an overhaul!

Pick others if u have a choice!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank AChee74

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 3 September 2013

It was our first visit to Sibu. We booked at the Kingwood and we got what we requested for, a room over looking the mighty Rejang River. Lovely view, we could see ships sailing up and down the river. It was a big room with a king bed. Internet was slow. Otherwise no other complaints. Good local restaurants just walking distance from the hotel. Even the main market which is a tourist attraction in itself is within walking distance. Live chickens were sold at the market, wrapped in newspaper, ready for cash and carry. Unique. You could also find live sago worms, ready to be eaten alive. It's your own little National Geographic experience.

Room Tip: Request for a river view room. The higher the better.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KualaLumpurTerence
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel The booking was not well organized this time. I had requested in advance a king size room, nonsmoking, Upon arrival room was available and I was told only smoking available. I declined and waited and eventually I was given an new nonsmoking, but twin bedded room. The new rooms are perfect in every respect, clean and I love the view to the review. Unfortunately the internet seems to have gone from Ok to very poor.
I love using this hotel for training as the river-views beat the average hotel conference room. The hotel doesn't service beer at this hotel, but the fridge in the room is good to store a couple cold ones. It was my second time eating at a big Sibu chinese restaurant called "Good Happiness". I'm not sure where it is actually located. Just ask the hotel reception to write out the address, Don't miss it.
Breakfast here was alright, There are nice places to try that are closer. The catering ranges from a solid "good" to "outstanding".

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has wifi working
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Philipbneqld
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights at old wing third floor which blocked by the swimming pools block, cant enjoy the full views of Rajang river. Room size big enough for family of 4. Tv channels only got local 4 channels.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank jordanchong

Travellers are raving about these Sibu hotels

Sibu, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Don't know about the old wing, since I am now staying at the new one (for 1 week now, about 1 more week to go). Though, the 2 buildings are attached to each other by a bridge on the second floor, it is quite obvious which is which of the 2. Have no complains aside from the slow wifi connection (no cable connection available), and a quite not so exciting breakfast buffet. Aside from that, all seems to be fine. Basing solely from the room accomodation, I think it does deserve to have a 4 star, as it claims to be.
BTW, they should also discontinue issuing ticket & charging for parking to hotel guest who parked it front of their hotel. It should be a part of their amenities.
One more thing, Please clean the window (or should I say, glass wall, since the whole side of the room facing the lake is made of glass). So that your guests could fully enjoy the view.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed at Kingwood Hotel Sibu on a company trip from 30 July to 1 August 2013. Great location fronting the Rejang River with superb view of activities along it.

The first thing one has to know about this hotel is that there is an old wing and a new wing. I got a room in the old wing for RM88 a night; rates for rooms in the new wing are obviously higher going into the range of RM200-300 per night. I have no problems with the room - standard room with all amenities one can expect of a hotel built in the 80s. The air conditioning (important criteria for me) was good (never mind the fact that one cabinet door came off and that looking out of the window, one sees a wall).

What did not agree with me was that for a RM88 a night room, the management asked for a RM300 cash refundable deposit upon check in. Why so much, I asked. The receptionist (one seasoned staff and 5 others with "trainee" name tags) explained that the deposit was for the room key, "in case you do not return me the key," she said. I look at the room key (with its biggish plastic tag that one must slot into the wall to activate the electricity) and wondered who in their right mind would want to keep such a thing. Certainly not for a souvenir I imagined! So when I pushed the matter further, the receptionist could not give a better answer except that it was the hotel's policy. She was polite and courteous, just unable to give me satisfactory answer. So I let it go.

Another point for improvement - the hotel's reception on the ground floor straddles the new and the old wing. One can easily tell this from the different patterns of the floor tiles. No issue about that except that the reception looked pretty drab, which is a shame as the lobby of the new wing looked pretty impressive with escalators leading up to what must be the function and ballroom. A potted plant here, a picture there would enhance the place immensely I am sure. There was no backdrop with the hotel's logo and the key drop on the reception table was big marked box! So NOT impressive.

Checked out the swimming pool on the 3rd floor - satisfactory although the male locker and shower rooms were not - door of one shower stall is rotting and hanging on its hinges. The "pool attendant" was a sheepish young woman who could not take her eyes off her cell phone when I asked her if towels were provided (they were not apparently - and I had to get one from my room).

As I said, this was a company trip and I was tasked to help check in my boss and other colleagues. I do not know what reservation system the hotel is using but obviously it is one whereby one could not just call up the name of a person and immediately establish if he/she has a reservation. Two of my overseas colleagues were told their names were not found in the system until I told the receptionist to try checking under our company name. And of course the names were there but I was already embarrassed for the fact that this simple mistake should be made. I thought it was rather unprofessional of them not to have a system that tells you the name of everyone who has a reservation regardless if it is a group, company or private booking. Also, they asked the cash deposit of my boss when it was already settled earlier, another red face moment for me.

All said, I would say the hotel can do better. It has a great location and with a bit of touch up, can vie for a place amongst Sibu's top hotels. The accolade currently goes to RH Hotel and the recently refurbished Tanahmas Hotel. Kingwood's management needs to do some urgent upgrading of the old wing and sprucing up of its reception and front desk personnel. Otherwise one may walk away thinking that this hotel is truly fit for a king.......if he live in the woods.

Room Tip: Get a room in the new wing with a river view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I was staying here for two days business trip in this newly constructed new wing block hotel. My first impression on this hotel was it was big and new. The check in session was okay. The trainee did her job well.

The room was big and clean. It’s come with one 32”Samsung LCD TV hanging on the wall. My room was facing the river and it’s give you a nice view over the Sarawak Rejang River (Sarawak longest river). My room also come with one business working table with lamp plus stationary. Therefore, I consider this a plus and you have free WiFi 24 hours without any password.

They have one sauna and a medium swimming pool. You need to get your ticket from the reception before you can enter the sauna.

Breakfast is buffet style but one funny issue is all the meals do not come with a label for the name of the food. That’s make me hesitate what to choose. They need to improve this minor issue here. The hotel restaurant do provide nice local/Chinese food for lunch and dinner. Check that out.

The hotel is located near Sibu Express Wharf with five minutes’ walking distance. Behind the hotel there are a lot of coffee shops for food but not at night where only a few are operating until late.

At night the hotel surrounding is quite and dark and not advisable to walk alone. Please get a taxi from the hotel.

The location was far from its town centre and you can never do it by walking.

Room Tip: At night the hotel surrounding is quite and dark and not advisable to walk alone. Ask for high floo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business