“Wonderful place to restore inner calm!”
Review of Les Marguerites

Les Marguerites
Baldock
“Wonderful place to restore inner calm!”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Having been introduced to Les Marguerites last year I have now returned for several visits, both alone and with my partner and children.
All experiences there have been wonderful- I cannot fault anything!
Antoinette is always welcoming,pays attention to detail and goes that extra mile to ensure that each guest has whatever they need to make their stay a unique experience.
I would thoroughly recommend staying at Les Marguerites, especially if pressure of work and just day to day living is getting to you!
The house is surrounded by wonderful countryside and the village is both tranquil and beautiful. There are several small restaurants although after a breakfast at Les Marguerites, you will have little room for lunch!
Try it- you will keep returning for all of the aspects outlined above!!
Meredith Griffiths

Room Tip: They are all good at Les Marguerites!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Leicestershire
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Don't believe all the reports youv'e read, they simply do not do this place justice! My wife and I stayed here after a very wet (worst floods in 100 years), cold and rainy Lourdes (about 3 hours drive south) and Les Margueites made it all worth while. This Chambre d'hote has gone on from excellent, on my last visit, to excellent+ !!

Even the unseasonal weather did not dampen the warmth of the hospitality, the comfort of the spacious rooms, piping hot water and fluffy white towels, fresh locally sourced foods, excellent menus, interesting and chatty fellow guests the genuine care and attention provided by Antoinette, Keith and their family - just magic!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but, if you have rented a car from Carcasonne airport, beware - the petrol st...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 26 June 2013

You will get two wonderful hosts, fun and kind, one beautiful home, one sunny garden, breakfast and dinners to make your friends who stayed home jelaous, a sleeping beauty of a French village around you, landscapes for hiking, driving your car too fast and making fun of hippies (if you are into that), cities to fotograph the hell out of your new camera which you bought just for this trip (don't dare to go to Carcassonne, except you love plastic swords and mildly drunk Japanese grandmas wearing a crusader helmet).

Les Marguerites is a treat. I would have offered Antoinette and Keith all my money (around 58 bucks) to buy it but I didn't because that was millions of bucks too less for this dream of a place. So I stole one of their cats.

We will come back because we simply must.

Don't go to Carcassonne.
No, I didnt steal the cat.

Room Tip: We had Nr. 5 and it was perfect.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stan B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My stay at Les Marguerites exceeded all expectations! Our room was beyond beautiful and the bed was HUGE, super comfy and made up with gorgeous white sheets.

We stayed in room 3 which is very spacious and in the day is flooded with light (there are shutters for the evening) with a seating area and a cute balcony looking out onto the front garden. The bathroom is again huge! With a bath and shower and enough room to cart wheel in!

Antoinette & Keith made my boyfriend and I feel completely at home. They are very knowledgeable about the local area and recommended places to visit as well as good wines and nice restaurants.

Antoinettes breakfasts are delicious - full of fresh fruit, creamy yogurts, local breads & pastries and eggs. She also does an evening meal on certain nights which are worth booking in for! Lots of yummy local produce

I could not recommend Les Marguerites enough its the most beautiful and friendly place that is in a great location to explore the area. I hope to return with friends and family.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I first met Antoinette and Keith at Les Marguerites whilst working on the Channel 5 show documenting their monumental renovation project. On my first visit, long before the house was ready for the family or guests to move in, I could feels its charm and beauty leaving me wanting to return and stay part of Antoinette's and Keith's epic journey in restoring Les Marguerites.

They have worked tirelessly to preserve the original beauty of the house, creating wonderful, light and spacious rooms for guests, with all of the warmth of a family home. This was my first visit back since 2010, and it was fantastic. My girlfriend and i stayed in the beautiful and enormous room 3, which has a great balcony looking over the front garden, huge comfortable bed and big bathroom. This room is adjoined to room 2, another lovely light room with two
single beds, perfect if you are a family.

It was wonderful to see Antoinette, Keith and the family again, you could not ask for more friendly, knowledgable and obliging hosts, who have put so much time and love into this Chambre D'Hote. We dined with other guests at the Table D'Hote and had a delicious meal, all cooked by Antoinette using the regions fantastic seasonal produce and excellent wine from the neighbouring vineyards. The whole experience staying at Les Marguerites leaves you wanting to return, I cannot wait to be back with a glass of Blanquette in my hand.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas B
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I had the most beautiful surprise when I arrived at Les Marguerites. After several weeks of travelling and mediocre accommodation, I arrived in the beautiful mediaeval village of Alet-les-Bains. Les Marguerites is a gorgeous, grand, beautifully renovated traditional French grand home...my room was spacious, delightful in every way, views over the village, waking to the chimes of the village church bells in the morning. Antoinette is an amazing hostess, very kind, and also a wonderful cook and a traveller at heart, to say nothing of running the guest house and 4 children!. She genuinely delights in hosting fab breakfasts and occasional dinners for her guests. She wants people to feel like they are having a five star experience and yet feel completely at home! I made a friend and one of these days, I'll be back...!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lesley L
london
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I just got back from a weekend staying at this wonderful renovated chateau in the charming village of Alet les Bains. The house is stunning and Antoinette and Keith have done a super job at making it both a home for their family as well as for guests. As hosts, they are super special souls that have put their hearts into converting a run-down building into a beautiful, comfortable, homey space where you can relax in beautiful French countryside. And, when you're there, you can tell that they have put so much love into making a dream come alive...i so thoroughly enjoyed my time with them as individuals but our room was huge - we stayed in the double connecting rooms. It's so clean/modern but charming and spacious. Great for larger groups but equally nice with just me and my friend so we could sleep separately. The bed is SUPER comfy and warm, there's a sitting room and the bathroom is larger than my kitchen at home! The village has a lovely restaurant in the local hotel, and a local bar as well (although it was closed when we were there). Didn't matter...we enjoyed a class of Blanquette at Les Marguerites in the sunshine in the garden! Enjoy your trip! Jennifer xx

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Palaja
Hotel La Bastide Saint Martin
Hotel La Bastide Saint Martin
#1 of 39 in Carcassonne

Been to Les Marguerites? Share your experiences!