“D-Day 70, June 2014”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint-Aubin-Sur-Mer
Camping Sandaya la Cote de Nacre
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stopped here in 2012 with Keycamp, and came back for this June with Eurocamp.

The Eurocamp van was showing it's age a bit, and hopefully will be replaced at the end of this season. My only other moan was the Eurocamp reps were never to be found.......

To the site, fantastic location for exploring Normandy and the D-Day sites in particular. We were over for the D-Day Anniversary yet St Aubin sur Mer seemed to be the only village on the coast where not a lot was going on !

Fantastic quiet setting, strange when you access it through a residential street. Our van backed onto open fields, only noises we heard were the odd tractor going past on the track behind us.

Ideally placed for moving around though. The site is clean, very well presented and the Yelloh staff we spoke to were friendly and helpful. The pool complex is very good, though the main pool could do with being a little deeper (only 1.6m). That said, the weather was fine enough to take in some sun and have a few hours in the pool. My only complaint is the pool attendant was a bit over zealous on which entrance we used for the pool !

As with all campsite shops, you pay for the convenience, yet the service and selection was excellent and the bread and croissants nice and fresh each morning.

No issues at all with noise or rowdiness, although that might have had something to do with the many Gendarme who were stopping on site due to the D-Day security operation !!!!!

We are planning another trip to Normandy in 2016, and will be back to this park.

Recommended for families for a relaxing break.

Room Tip: try to get a van situated on the perimeter. Camping / motor home plots looked a decent size and had...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Camping Sandaya la Cote de Nacre

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We booked through eurocamp for a Monday - Friday stay over the Easter holidays. We travelled with 2 kids aged 11 and 12 , we were apprehensive and didn't know what to expect as had never travelled abroad and stayed in a caravan before. The DFDS seaways overnight crossing from portsmouth to Le Havre in reclining seats (cheaper option) was ok and was just a means of transport. We managed to get a bit of sleep by taking eye masks ( the lights were never dimmed ! ), blankets and pillows.

The campsite was great, spotlessly clean and the caravan was beautiful, Spacious and airy with all amenities (no tv - fab!) and a beautiful decking area with barbecue which we used one evening..the beds were comfy and everything appeared like new.

The weather meant we enjoyed 1 day by the outside pool sunbathing whilst the kids played in the very cold indoor pool ... Other days were spent exploring the local beaches and visiting the landing beaches , visiting bayeux, the tapestry and the cathedral and the cemeteries and going into caen and honfleur. Honfleur is a must , very quaint. Normandy , itself is a delightful area .

There was some hit and miss wi fi in the bar area and smaller kids enjoyed the entertainment provided whilst older kids played pool or played in the small arcade area. The staff were all very friendly .
The campsite was quiet and driving through the site was not allowed after 11pm. People just played boule or barbecued in the glorious weather.

We did not eat at the on site restaurant , choosing to eat in local restaurants /bistros in the evenings instead . We made up a picnic each lunch from French bread / ham and cheese that we purchased from one of the local supermarkets..

All in all, a great holiday, and we are planning on doing another area of France next year in a caravan.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank shazzy111
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We've stayed here a few times over the years it's a brilliant site, all staff are so friendly and even the locals are a joy to be around, we booked our holiday through al fresco and we can't recommend them enough, great family atmosphere and plenty to do on and off the park, especially if your a history buff the museums are fab and if you like cycling this place is a must the views are extraordinary.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Taralister
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Went to CDN at half term on a tesco deal with al fresco hols. holiday didn't get off to great start as we flashed by speed camera as we came off motorway heading into caen( thankfully not had ticket yet, 3 weeks later).
We had not holidayed in France for 7 years following a disappointing chalet ordeal in 2006! However, this was one of the best family weeks we have ever had, despite the weather being a little unsettled. The camp was great, clean, tidy and very modern. It is very close to the sea for a holiday park, and the facilities were excellent. My 12 and 9 year olds were like pigs in muck, thoroughly enjoying all the facilities and making many ' holiday friends'. The al fresco reps paul and sandy were very helpful without being obtrusive, which is something I really like.
Oustreheim beach near caen , (recommended by sandy)great beach to bathe and to fly kites!!
wifi in bar area great, if avoided at night when entertainment is on!
Only moans were no tv in mobile homes( usual in France), and drink prices in bar were too high.
€5.50 for a 1/2 litre beer in my opinion is excessive.
Great holiday and would definitely return to CDN. Well done al fresco.

Room Tip: Pay for luxe upgrade, as it includes modern patio furniture and a gas BBQ.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have just got back from 7 nights at this site & it was a great base & location for the D Day events - We camped & had our own little 'garden' pitch, with a hedge for privacy. The reception staff were very friendly & spoke good English . The restaurant & bar were very sociable , the shop was reasonably priced , fresh bread every morning... Showers & toilets were exceptionally clean at all times - the small town on St Aubin has some nice restaurants & bars , the beach is. 5 min walk. The heated swimming pool is lovely if it's a little cool outdoors otherwise the water park is fantastic on warm days . This place is very well situated for any of the D Day locations . Have read some negative comments , but I can only write as I found it ...

Room Tip: Excellent base for D Day locations
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We are family of 4 with 2 boys, aged 10 and 12, and we loved this place. We booked through Brittany ferries as we got a deal that saved us 25℅ on the list price. It is just a few miles from Caen ferry terminal so easy to access.
The pool area was great. Despite the weather not being great, the outside area was still open. Lifeguards only seemed to appear at busy times though.
The site was nice and clean. Spacious, but not cramped, with plenty of facilities.
The Chalets were quite small, but clean and functional. The only downsides were no TV or oven.
St Aubin beach and promenade were just a 5-10 min walk away, and was lovely with plenty of cafes/restaurants and takeaways.
Ideally located to explore all the DDay beaches.
I will definitely use this site again and would recommend it to anyone visiting the Caen area.
Bayeux and the tapestry were a pleasant surprise, and certainly worth a day trip.

Room Tip: Avoid the chalets round the play areas if you need quiet early on as these stayed busy as long as th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ljgreenfield
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Never has a human being left such a disgustingly bitter taste in my memory.

I stayed at Yelloh Village Cote de Nacre with my partner and her family in September 2013. All was going well until I experienced the most dreadful behaviour by the staff and was assaulted by the manager, Eric.

It all started when I bought a bottle of suncream from the site shop, and was charged €18! I didn't understand at the time as the blonde middle-aged lady behind the desk didn't speak to me in english, but after coutning my change later, I realised how much I had paid for a little bottle of spray.

Going back there after dinner, I cheerily explained to the lady that I didn't realise how much I'd paid, so I'd like to bring it back for a refund, as it's still sealed. She said "No, it's not possible", and when I asked why not, she suddenly became aggressive and animated, waving her hands at me and my partner and shouting at us both very quickly in French, using all sorts of dramatic and violent arm movement. I repeatedly said that we don't speak French very well, however she continued saying "No! No! It's not possible! If you buy a voiture, you cannot bring it back after you have been driving!".

I attempted using calm logic against her anger. I pointed out how ludricrous her comparison between buying a car and buying a small bottle of suncream was, but she would not budge. I then asked to speak to the manager, who she called on her rather decorative iPhone. I did not understand what she said, but by her tone and the amount of annoyed sighing I could tell that she was not singing my praises to her boss. I was then told that the manager is not available, and I would have to come back tomorrow.

In between this woman's fits of indigneous rage, she served another customer and said something in French, rolling her eyes and tutting. It was obvious that she was moaning about my partner and me.

The next day, I went to reception and spoke with Eric. On first appearences Eric looked like a nice chap, spectacles and greying hair, and a gentle enough voice to start with. I explained the situation with the sun cream, and that I only wanted a refund as I didn't understand the price of the item at the time. Eric began in a soft voice "Ah yes, monsieur, I heard about this yesterday." However, when he embarked upon a familiar story about buying a car, I had a horrible feeling that these people had practiced this before.

This was not going to end well.

Like the woman the previius day, Eric quickly transformed from a reasonable human into an animated, aggressive animal. Suffice to say, during Eric's increasingly vociferous rant, he insulted both me and my partner, and began acting in a violent manner with his hands. I asked Eric to please lower his voice, but he simply responded by shouting more loudly, lapsing into French as he barely contained his fury. It was at this point that I feared for my partner's safety and was ready to react physically to this horrible man should he continue to invade our personal spaces. He demanded loudly "Ugh! What do you want monsieur?! You want a refund?! Fine!!". He lunged forward and snatched the bottle out of my hand and stormed out of reception, slamming the glass door hard, and marched towards the shop, still ranting to himself in French.

This took me by surprise so much that I almost punched Eric, as I did not know what he was doing when he lunged towards me. A short time later, he stormed back into reception, slammed some coins on the desk with a bang, and stormed out into an office behind reception, slamming yet another door behind him. I was simply gobsmacked by his behaviour.

At this point, I was visibily shaking, and my partner was crying. We left the site shortly afterwards, and will never, ever consider staying there again, due to the mentally unstable and violent nature of the staff, who seem to think that shouting at and physically intimidating their customers to the point of tears is perfectly acceptable.

Avoid!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Stephen W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Aubin-Sur-Mer
La Cremaillere
Domaine de la Ranconniere et de Mathan
Camping Port'Land
Camping Port'Land
#1 of 4 in Port-en-Bessin-Huppain

Been to Camping Sandaya la Cote de Nacre? Share your experiences!