“AMAZING.”

Finca Cortesin Hotel Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Casares
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I stayed at the Finca over a long weekend and from the hired car that picked me up at the Malaga train station all the way until the end of my stay, everything was just pure pure bliss.

If you're not the type who is worried about the cost and is willing splurge and indulge, this is definitely the place. The rooms are amazing, the food is delicious, the place itself is beautiful and the service is sublime.

However, there really isn't much outside the Finca and Marbella is quite a drive away. So unless you like to lounge by the pool, or spa or play golf, then you don't really have anything to worry about.

I decided to travel here on a whim; I had so much work on my hands, I decided to take a trip to this southern part of Spain and to take some time off and clear my head.

This was my first time to travel solo and of course, I was quite reluctant. All the staff in the resort were so extremely hospitable, accommodating and friendly that it didn't feel awkward at all being by myself.

I had an amazing stay at the Finca, the rooms are divine, and the surroundings absolutely beautiful. If your ideal vacation is golf, the spa, the pool and doing absolutely nothing, then this is the ideal place.

Everything is superb, from the food, accommodations and service. It's definitely quite a splurge, but it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank wemusttravel

Reviewed 28 May 2011

A very nice hotel with friendly staff and good services and a very very nice breakfast. But it is definitely not a hotel to go with children as there are rules all the time. Children are only allowed in the indoor pool between 11 - 3 (so much for having lunch) and pool toys are not allowed. You get a letter what not to wear when (as if you don't know yourself). I spend a week with my daughter, we had fun at the golf, people were nice but our one week vacation could have been much better with less regulations. Breakfast is included but in the room they charge an outrageous € 20 extra!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Noëlle H
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Okay, so we arrived through a grim looking barrier. That is my only bad remark.

What a hotel, the suites are huge and the bathroom is massive! The shower is 5 ft long or more, the sheets and towels are cleaned everyday, staff are foreign but they speak and understand English brilliantly. Room service is excellent; you have the full menu to choose from, everything works, and you see the rooms first if you want to - that is the best little touch.

Breakfast is amazing, you get everything you want from the menu - you can even request your own. It is served overlooking mountains, their golf course and the vegetable gardens and maze - what could you ask for more? Dinner is also good, with three places to choose from - a posh one off restaurant, a 5 course dinner, or a family friendly pizzeria - the best food in the world!

Golf course is superb, excellent, fantastic, great greens, amazing fairways, kept everyday. Avoid midday, buggy essential. Has a great driving range and even a Jack Nicklaus academy.

Spa is incredible, full length pool, plunge pool, steam room, sauna, everything you would expect.
If I could describe this hotel in one word - incredible. www.fincacortesin.com/

Room Tip: Save up a little dosh! Spanish people do eat late.
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank mossy950
Reviewed 23 March 2011

This hotel is genuinely one of, if not the, best hotel I have ever stayed in. The attention to detail is extraordinary - from the original flagstones reclaimed from a French chateau to the tasteful antiques stowed in nooks and crannies to the gorgeous Moroccan courtyard area. The food at Schilo restaurant was exquisite - all 10 courses of it! If you go, I thoroughly recommend the tasting menu.

The room I stayed in was huge, and beautifully appointed. Service was also exceptional and the staff are friendly (without being obsequious) and accommodating.

I could go on about the other facilities that we tried - gym, sauna and steam room, spa facilities etc - but I think I'll let you discover these for yourself!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank forbesad
Reviewed 11 February 2011

We were absolutely delighted with our stay at Finca Cortesin at the beginning of last month. The hotel is a beautiful welcoming place to stay with fantastic customer service and the staff were wonderful – as was the food and the leisure facilities. We will definitely return for another holiday!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JWilson75
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at the Finca Cortesin in January. The area around the resort is hardly inspiring ....quite a few ugly developments. But when you drive up to the hotel, you get the idea of entering in a 19th centure grand spanish estate - beautiful! The staff was courteous and made us feel at home. Our room (Exec suite) was quite large - with a bathroom more akin to a mausoleum - the shower was amazing. The design of the rooms is more Laura Ashley then Philippe Starck, but that probably suits the age group of people that stay there. The bed was nice but a little hard for our tastes. The room didn't have a dvd player (for us to play our daughter's dvds) - but on request they were able to put one in which we really appreciated. Our small private garden was great for our 2 yr old daughter. So why 3 stars? Well, the rest of the resort was not all that baby friendly - since all of the outdoor pools were closed, we wanted to take her to the indoor pool, but we found out that it is closed to children under 5. They made an exception as there was vitually nobody at the resort, provided she didn't disturb the other guests. We also ordered a babysitter for a night.....and we found out later that they charge an outrageous 30 EUR an hour for that! When we asked room service to make her a small bowl of fruit and pasta puree (something most 5 start resorts do for free), they charged us 28 EURs! But overall, the food was the biggest dissapointment. We are at Schilo, the Asian/Japanese fusion restaurant. We asked (and were offered) an ala carte menu (normally not done) but were charged for the full tasting menu anyway. And at $100+ pp for food only, our expectations were high, but if you have ever tried the likes of Zuma/Nobu/Inagiku etc. you will be in for a dissapointment. Uninspired and rather bland. The room service was ever worse. The pasta was the worst I have ever had. Bar none! The steak sandwich consists of a piece of meat on bread. How can the food be so bad at a 5 star hotel? The only plus was the breakfast - which was very good, albeit with limited warm options (eggs only). The facilities at the hotel are nice - the golf course is lovely and challenging but was waterlogged when I played. The spa was nice but not great...especially not for the prices charged. The gym was very good. Long story short, our experience was mixed overall. The place could be truly magical but too many unmet expectations means that we won't return.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank vactionerAmsterdam
Reviewed 5 January 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Finca Cortesin in august for the first leg of our honeymoon and we were truly amazed by the overall experience. From the outset, the experience was fantastic. Having arrived late from London, the receptionist at checkin was efficient and courteous. This set an immediate positive tone! Throughout the duration of the stay, the hotel staff were excellent in all areas and were always close by without being intrusive.

Our suite surpassed the description and photos used on the web. The room was enormous with excellent bathroom facilities and amazing mountain views.

The leisure facilities in the hotel also surpassed expectations with 3 pools and numerous spa and gym facilities. As neither of us are golfers we made extensive use of these facilities. It is worth noting that the hotel has only 67 rooms and hence the facilities were never over crowded.

Finally, the hotel has a number of restaurants which serve different types of food at different times if the day. The breakfast is an experience and we sampled all restaurants during the visit with the Italian restaurant, don giovannis, ranking as our favourite.

In summary, I have stayed at numerous 5 star locations globally and this is best hotel I have stayed at so far. I recently recommended this hotel to a colleague in my investment bank and he was also amazed with the experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Casares
Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa
#5 of 70 in Marbella
H10 Estepona Palace
H10 Estepona Palace
#9 of 34 in Estepona

Been to Finca Cortesin Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!