Stunning hotel. Small niggles only, but for what they are trying to achieve (and what they are charging) they need to be ironed out.
Breakfast service is EXTREMELY slow. Very pleasant, but way too slow. There is no buffet and only one of the service staff spoke English. A typical example was asking for a wedge of lemon for the smoked salmon...it involved 3 people, a 15 minute wait and what finally arrived was a thin slice that you might put into tea. Throughout breakfast a couple of small requests could easily add half an hour to your meal!
Lunch options are a bit limited as neither of the two main restaurants open for lunch. If that is to be the case then the poolside menu needs a wider choice.
Car parking is done by a valet to keep the area at the front of the hotel clear. We phoned reception to let them know we were going out and needed our car, but nobody was sent for it which meant 10 minutes hanging around after we got outside.
Finally interactions at reception were a little patchy. On leaving I asked if I could take a copy of the restaurant menu (we frame memorable meals and it really was that good). I wasn't looking for the folder it comes in, just the A4 leaf from the inside that they print onto the headed paper with the menu of the day. I thought it was a very simple request and one I have never been refused before. The girl involved said she would photocopy it in B&W, but even when I explained why I wanted it she refused to either print me one onto the headed paper (which would have taken her a couple of minutes at most) or to let me take one from the restaurant. I think had one of the more experienced staff been present the request would have been dealt with very differently.
Finally spa bookings were running 15 minutes late and the massage wasn't great (very jerky and thumpy, despite pleas for a gentle relaxing massage...language barrier again perhaps?)
If a 5 star hotel wants to use local staff then they must train them thoroughly and ensure that they have the language skills required at this level.
Good points....excellent service by the pool, Incredible room with a plunge pool on the terrace, lovely babysitter, separate family and child-free outdoor pools, and quite possibly the most beautiful and well designed hotel I have ever stayed in. The Schilo restaurant was so good we changed our plans to eat there a second night. Regular eaters in top restaurants will love that they are offered something that pushes the boundaries and is different to the excellently executed but very similar menus you often get in top hotels. Not every dish is perfect, but it was one of the more memorable meals I've eaten, and of all the restaurants I've eaten in this year (many with stars) it is the one I would most like to eat in again. Special mention to the lovely lady Maitre D who was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. A truly excellent hostess, and if the rest of the staff maintain her standards they will surely obtain their star soon.
Rereading the review it sounds a bit complain-y, but overall I would certainly visit the hotel again and have already recommended it to friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of the Spanish Costa del Sol between Marbella and Sotogrande, overlooking the warm Mediterranean there is a place where nature gently vanishes into the deep blue sea. A private community that offers members a personal sanctuary in an environment not found anywhere else. For those seeking an emotional connection to where they live this is arguably the last great property available by the Mediterranean. This impressive resort is located in one of the most peaceful and upcoming areas of the Mediterranean coast in the municipality of the picturesque village of Casares, just 1.500m from the beach and within easy access, by motorway, to the international airports of Málaga and Gibraltar. Set on a 215-hectare estate, 150 of which is designated green belt area, the development centres around 5 extensive areas: Hotel, Golf, Spa and Sports Club, Beach Club and Residential Area. Hotel Finca Cortesin is designed to enchant every one of the senses. The hotel's fresh but grand design is inspired by traditional Andalusian architecture and gives every area a big, bright and luxuriously spacious feel that is so rare in Europe. Built around two principle courtyards with palatial proportions, the hotel has 67 large, luminous and exquisitely designed suites with lofty 4m high ceilings ranging from 50 to 200m². With 23.000 m2 of manicured gardens, luxurious spa, 3 pools, tennis and paddle courts, impressive 6.000 m2 beach club, exquisite cuisine and an ambiance of tranquility, elegance and refinement, it is a destination that invites you to return. Come discover why Finca Cortesin has been named the 'Best National Resort' in the country by Conde Nast Traveller magazine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Finca Cortesin Hotel Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Finca Cortesin Hotel, Golf Hotel Casares
- Finca Cortesin Hotel, Golf And Spa