“Almost perfect”

Finca Cortesin Hotel Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Casares
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Stunning hotel. Small niggles only, but for what they are trying to achieve (and what they are charging) they need to be ironed out.
Breakfast service is EXTREMELY slow. Very pleasant, but way too slow. There is no buffet and only one of the service staff spoke English. A typical example was asking for a wedge of lemon for the smoked salmon...it involved 3 people, a 15 minute wait and what finally arrived was a thin slice that you might put into tea. Throughout breakfast a couple of small requests could easily add half an hour to your meal!
Lunch options are a bit limited as neither of the two main restaurants open for lunch. If that is to be the case then the poolside menu needs a wider choice.
Car parking is done by a valet to keep the area at the front of the hotel clear. We phoned reception to let them know we were going out and needed our car, but nobody was sent for it which meant 10 minutes hanging around after we got outside.
Finally interactions at reception were a little patchy. On leaving I asked if I could take a copy of the restaurant menu (we frame memorable meals and it really was that good). I wasn't looking for the folder it comes in, just the A4 leaf from the inside that they print onto the headed paper with the menu of the day. I thought it was a very simple request and one I have never been refused before. The girl involved said she would photocopy it in B&W, but even when I explained why I wanted it she refused to either print me one onto the headed paper (which would have taken her a couple of minutes at most) or to let me take one from the restaurant. I think had one of the more experienced staff been present the request would have been dealt with very differently.
Finally spa bookings were running 15 minutes late and the massage wasn't great (very jerky and thumpy, despite pleas for a gentle relaxing massage...language barrier again perhaps?)
If a 5 star hotel wants to use local staff then they must train them thoroughly and ensure that they have the language skills required at this level.

Good points....excellent service by the pool, Incredible room with a plunge pool on the terrace, lovely babysitter, separate family and child-free outdoor pools, and quite possibly the most beautiful and well designed hotel I have ever stayed in. The Schilo restaurant was so good we changed our plans to eat there a second night. Regular eaters in top restaurants will love that they are offered something that pushes the boundaries and is different to the excellently executed but very similar menus you often get in top hotels. Not every dish is perfect, but it was one of the more memorable meals I've eaten, and of all the restaurants I've eaten in this year (many with stars) it is the one I would most like to eat in again. Special mention to the lovely lady Maitre D who was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. A truly excellent hostess, and if the rest of the staff maintain her standards they will surely obtain their star soon.
Rereading the review it sounds a bit complain-y, but overall I would certainly visit the hotel again and have already recommended it to friends.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Ski_Tourist

Reviewed 23 June 2010

Finca Cortesin was one of the best hotel and hospitality experiences of my life. I brought a very small, exclusive group of people to the hotel as part of a golf holiday to the Costa del Sol and we spent three nights at Finca Cortesin. The hotel sales staff was amazing during the planning process - they fully understood that I was looking for a highly customized, luxury experience with a high level of personal attention and they delivered on all counts. Even if you are travelling individually, I am sure they would give each and every guest this same level of attention. The guests were speechless to be staying at such a beautiful property – it far exceeded their expectations! Every staff member - from reception, concierge, bellman, restaurant staff, golf staff - was incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and empowered to do whatever they had to do to fulfill requests.

The hotel itself and the grounds are spectacular. I have never been to a hotel that is as well thought out and designed as Finca Cortesin. They've thought of every detail and there is such a sense of calm and relaxation, from the mountain and sea views to the tranquility of the pools. Rooms are spacious, with comfortable furnishings, luxurious bathrooms and bath amenities and lots of well-designed storage space. Every suite has either a beautiful view of a private terrace.

The whole stay at the hotel was top notch, but dinner at Schilo may have been the best part. The food was so fresh and delicious, the courses were presented beautifully and the wines were superb. Being able to look right into the kitchen was a treat and the table looked beautiful.

I give my highest recommendations for Finca Cortesin - whether you are traveling as an indivudal or a group.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We spent the first 2 days of our honeymoon here and it was an excellent choice. The hotel is truly amazing. The grounds are beautiful and there is a real feeling of luxury about the place. From the moment you step through the front door everything is taken care of. The service is exceptional. The rooms are spacious and tastfully decorated. I believe the owners of the hotel are interior decorators and it certainly shows through! My wife has fallen in love with the place and we will definitely return.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We only dined at El Jardin but had such fantastic service in such lovely surrounds that we shall be back to stay. Can't recommend highly enough, even if you are not staying, do go for dinner.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2010

My wife and I live in Asia and had visted the hotel in early June for the birthday celebrations of a friend.

We travel extensively and have stayed at some of the best resorts in the world - and I would say that Hotel Cortesin is up there with the best. We haven't been to spain before - but have found in general that the service in alot of the European hotels was not as good as resorts in Asia. However, Hotel Cortesin certainly changed that impression - as the service during our stay across all aspects (dining, facilities and the rooms) was impeccable.

We were part of a very large group (including children) and the hotel staff went out of their way to make our stay extremely enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We have an apartment in the local area to Finca Cortesin and paid to go in the spa for the day (out of season 58 euros each). The actual spa area was as good as some of the top spa's i have been to in the world. The thermae spa was incredible especially the 'snow room' we were the only people in there so it was like having our own spa. I think it could have done with some snacks around the place especially in the chill out section of the changing room. Bottles of water in abundance though. We had lunch in the outdoor pool which was great although quite pricey but that was expected. The pool guys were superb every time we moved our towels were put back in place for our comfort. The gym was sufficient but i wasnt to impressed by their power plate. There were no staff in attendance in the gym which seemed a bit unsafe. All in all a perfect day.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2010

My wife and I, with extended family of 6 adults and one 3 year old child, stayed at Finca Cortesin between 12th and 16th May 2010. I can honestly say that this is probably the best hotel that we have stayed in. The hotel has magnificent facilities, including a wonderful spa. We had three separate birthdays whilst we were there and the management and staff went out of their way to make sure that they became very special occasions and memories. The staff were absolutely wonderful, from reception, to bar staff, to Maitre'D, the wonderful chef and even the estate staff. I would certainly stay there again and would recommend this hotel without any qualms to anybody.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank reddevil25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Casares
Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa
#5 of 70 in Marbella
H10 Estepona Palace
H10 Estepona Palace
#9 of 34 in Estepona

Been to Finca Cortesin Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!