“Dissapointed”

The Cothi Bridge
Price range: US$1 - US$22
Cuisines: British, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Come and enjoy this beautiful, two bedroom, executive, self-catering first floor apartment nestled on the banks of the River Cothi, within the quaint hamlet of Pontargothi. The spacious, open plan, galley style kitchen is perfect for entertaining, whilst both bedrooms have been elegantly decorated and offer open countryside views to the rear. The apartment enjoys views over the river Cothi and benefits from being situated perfectly between the historic market towns of Llandeilo and Carmarthen. Take a stroll to a choice of two local pubs in the village, both serving home cooked meals and real ale. Locally, the National Botanic Garden of Wales is home to the world’s largest, single span glasshouse and some truly magnificent sights. Aberglasney Gardens has some of the finest gardens in Wales, where you can explore more than 10 acres of magnificent gardens and a fully restored Grade II listed mansion house.
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Rang ahead to book a table and were pleased to hear they served food until 18.00-a rare thing on a Sunday. It was explained that due to an earlier power cut there may be a slight delay but as the weather was so lovely we were happy to sit outside that bit longer. It took my partner a while to order our food and drinks at the bar as a group of fairly rowdy and intoxicated residents staying there were taking up most of the bar mans time. The location is really beautiful and we have visited many times over the years. We were however, disappointed with the food. I had the turkey dinner, my partner the beef. It was warm, not hot and the Yorkshire puddings were burnt, as were the carrots. The limited veg was mixed in with mashed potato and the beef was quite tough. It was quite tasty but not the standard I recall from my previous visits a few years ago. As time passed the rowdy group continued to drink, a few lay asleep on the tables and the language others used wasn't really appropriate for the time of day. The serving staff were very pleasant but seemed very flustered and in need of someone to take charge. Not sure the two chefs drinking beer and smoking during service is such a good advert either. Overall, I would probably return to try again as the power cut may have thrown things off course and the location couldn't be more perfect on a sunny day.

2  Thank Hungrygirl150
Cothi B, Manager at The Cothi Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

I would like to thank you for your comments and assure that each of the points mentioned will be addressed. The power cut certainly did have an affect on our day and put more pressure on the staff. The rowdy crowd I can assure isn't our usual clientele and the staff I think were slightly weary of how to react to them as they are not used to this type of behavior as we are a family restaurant.

We look forward to your next visit and hope that your experience will be more like the ones you remember from previous years, hopefully even better.

regards

The Cothi Bridge

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I, my husband and our family have been coming here, mostly during the summer months, for years, bringing our children and latterly, our grandchildren, to enjoy the open space by the river where they love to play on the stony dry part of the riverbed when the water level is low enough, skimming stones, watching dragonflies etc. We have followed the establishment through ups and downs and I can certainly say that it is currently 'up' We returned recently on a lovely spring day to enjoy a birthday lunch 'al fresco'. We had a simple jacket potato with coronation chicken which was served beautifully garnished. It tasted as good as it looked. We then went for a stroll up the lane alongside the River Cothi and came back to finish off with coffee and pud. I wish I'd taken photos of the puddings which were brought out to us by the chef, they looked so amazing. I had the raspberry cheesecake whilst my husband opted for the Manchester tart which is like a sort of flan filled with creme Anglaise and served with fresh raspberries, both of which we can highly recommend. The current owners have made many improvements to the Cothi Bridge, having refurbished the bar area, created a lovely lounge with wood-burner (ideal to sit gazing at the river from a warm vantage point in bad weather), new toilet facilities and also the outside seating area has been improved with more open space and new tables the better to enjoy the surroundings. We are looking forward to enjoying many more afternoons and evenings there throughout the summer and autumn ahead. Well done everyone, keep up the good work.

1  Thank jacnjules
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We ate her the evening 14th April. We all ordered starters, those of us that had soup found it luke warm when it arrived but this was quickly rectified by a very attentive barman/waiter... it was actually a lovely soup. we then all had a variety of mains... the steaks were reportadly beautiful... my husband had a made to order pizza which was delivered by the chief himself, considering the vague request of "anything spicy" it was just what Andy loved. ... my only complaint and it is very small is that there was no main chicken dish on the menu... my num has been seriously ill and has to be careful what she eats and chicken is always her 1st choice...

We were too sfuffed for desert as the portions are so big.

The staff were very obliging and curtious.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

A warm and inviting place,The staff are very friendly the Sunday dinner is stunning very well presented and it is very well priced our children really enjoyed, As a family this is the perfect place to visit..!!

1  Thank woodstone2484
Reviewed 4 April 2014

A place for a great meal with a partner or to take the kids. Place looks great and food tastes fantastic.
The takeaway side does awesome chips at a good price too. Stop there a bit too often in recent weeks
Very happy to go there whatever the occasion

1  Thank Sam L