“Beyond wonderful”
Review of Highbury House B&B

Highbury House B&B
Ranked #1 of 4 Cratloe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Beautiful setting with room to wonder. Very Comfortable sleeping rooms and baths. Excellent hosts, friendly and accomodating. I would be surprised if you could do do better than this B&B in all of Ireland. The ratings and great reviews are well deserved. If you are planning on staying in the vicinity of Limerick then do yourself a favor and stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 October 2013

A little difficult to find, as it's right off the freeway (not on a side road, literally, you get off the freeway at their entrance) - and depending on what side you're driving will make a difference! But what a charmer of a place it is - and Rosemary & Jack were very special!! We dropped off our luggage before we headed out for more sightseeing - and they ever so graciously allowed us to put our luggage in the room early!! They have an warm and inviting home - that's filled with so much history!! I LOVED their Sun Room - so bright and cozy (and Downton Abbey books on the tables!!) Rosemary & Jack went out of their way to open up for breakfast early, as we had to get to Dublin at a particular time!! Great folks, great place!!

Room Tip: Make sure you're in contact w/the B&B - for added instructions on finding their location (it...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My husband and I have been traveling in Europe and have stayed at B&B's for decades. But the Highbury House is our favorite, so I'm sending this message. It's lovely, comfortable, spacious, quiet, and has excellent breakfasts. But what really sets it apart is the hosts, Jack and Rosemary. They made us and our granddaughter feel extremely welcomed. (My granddaughter wanted to move in so she could continue playing outside with Lily the cat.) An extra bonus is that Highbury is very near the Shannon Airport. If you are flying into Shannon or just want a great place to stay in a central location, I highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My family and I spent a week at Highbury House this past week. I'm simply not sure how you could have any better hospitality, service or accommodations. Jack and Rosemary are outstanding hosts and their B&B is simply, in a word, perfect. Their B&B is extremely easy to get to from Shannon airport (it's right off the dual carriageway and about a 10 minute drive), convenient to Bunratty Castle & Park with easy access to places like the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Cork, the Ring of Kerry and all of the popular tourist sites. Dublin is an easy 2-ish hour drive on excellent highways as well. Location is one thing, but you just can't beat their hospitality. The house is well divided into (their) private areas and your private areas, including a large sunroom/game room with fireplace you can call your own (we played games there every night), as well as a terrific breakfast room just for guests. And let me tell you, the breakfasts are absolutely 5 star quality and cooked to order. Rosemary missed her calling as a chef and Jack's stories will keep you entertained for hours. Since we were leaving very early in the morning, Rosemary put breakfast items in our rooms the night before (try finding a hotel that'll do that). I can say that this will not be our last visit to their facility and I simply can't envision staying anywhere else. If I could, I'd add a sixth start to their review.

Room Tip: The Rose Room is the best, but they're all excellent.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Rosemary and Jack were the most friendly and charming hosts ! The home was beautiful! Service was wonderful and felt like home. Jack loves to offer any information. Rosemary is so thoughtful. The room was beautiful. The breakfast was delicious. It was peaceful and quiet. It meant so much to me to be here, as my ancestors were from here and Rosemary and Jack made it extra special! We loved it here ! It may be a little tricky to find..it is off the highway, yet very quiet , so close to everything.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed at the Highbury House in July on our very last night in Ireland. We had a full schedule planned that included the Cliff's of Moher Cruise and Bunratty Castle. We arrived around noon and were greeted by Jack and shown to our room. He eagerly showed us around our room as well as their entire home and offered us tea. I knew instantly that this was not your typical B&B, but rather, a quaint and loving home that you have been invited. We quickly unloaded our bags and went off on our adventures. It was not until we returned to the room that we realized all of the little differences between this B&B and others that we had stayed. First, the bathroom was stocked with everything from hand sanitizer to washcloths. I said this in a previous post, but I was surprised to find that washcloths were not available at all B&Bs so that turned out to be something very special. The shower not only had a shelf for toiletries but a hand held shower head, which makes the standard smaller showers much more manageable. I noticed that another post indicated that the shower had no pressure, but ours was good. We also discovered that Jack and Rosemary had left us a bottle of cold filtered water. The next morning we had a fairly early flight and an early breakfast that Rosemary and Jack accommodated. To our surprise, there was no 'menu' per se. Rosemary simply came to us and asked what we wanted, similar to how one my aunts or grandmother would have asked. She listed some standard fare, but insisted that we could have anything we wanted. We placed our order, the food was wonderful. Jack used to be a tea distributor and takes his tea making very seriously. He explained that he made a weaker pot of tea as Americans do not typically like the strength of his tea. I explained that I was raised with Irish grandparents and I enjoyed strong tea. I made the comment as part of our discussion and had no idea that he would insist on making me a new pot, which of course, was wonderful. Our only complaint was that our stay was too short. Well, that and my 6'2" husband was a bit uncomfortable in the bed because of the footboard. However, there was a single in the room with no footboard, so he did have another option. One of our last memories of Ireland was of Jack and Rosemary in the doorway waving to us as we drove away. Definitely a return destination if/when we return to Ireland!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula R
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This was our 3rd stop on our family tour. And our second B and B of the trip. The owner Rosemarie and Jack accommodated with every need. Suggested a nice restaurant near Bunratty, where we enjoyed dinner that evening. Breakfast was good! The only negative was the shower, no water pressure. Kinda just trickled out.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Been to Highbury House B&B? Share your experiences!