“Perfect Location”

Buller's Rest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 18 Ladysmith B&B and Inns
“Perfect Location”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

A quick overnight stop turned into one of the most interesting Stays ever. Apart from very upmarket cottages with a deck and plunge pool overlooking the town the lodge is filled with artifacts and photos of the boer war, a real historical treat. Just the pub is worth a visit let alone a very hearty bfast and the friendly hosts. I'd go back just for a another night even if we didn't need the stop over

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Shanetw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have written a review about this establishment before. The review was not good as my first visit to Buller's Rest was not great, as discussed in the previous review. I would have been back here reviewing this establishment again, much sooner, but Trip Advisor only allows you to review an establishment at least three months after your last review.

Om learning of my experience, I was contact by the establishment who apologised and promised to ensure that I receive better experiences on my next and subsequent visits. I was even offered a free night stay.

The establishment has been great since my initial visit. I have stayed here on approximately 6 occasions, since my initial visit and will continue to stay here until the end of the current project (in the area) and possibly beyond. I have even had other company staff stay at the establishment.

The rooms have been clean, service and staff great, breakfast good and the overall experience wonderful.

Keep it up Buller's Rest. My team and I will (certainly) be back for many more visits.

Room Tip: Choose the family room. It's nice and spacious. Also well decorated.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dezign99
Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were travelling from the north coast to Gauteng and wanted an overnight stop - I chose Ladysmith because its basically half way and I wanted to see Spion Kop and maybe the siege museum.

I booked online a few weeks before our stay and then confirmed by telephone once we were in South Africa. We arrived a bit earlier than anticipated, but were let in to the (very well protected) compound and checked in by the adorable Gracious. We had two rooms - one for my in-laws with a divine view over the town and one for husband and I at the back of the building. The rooms were super comfortable, very clean and beautifully furnished.

After a visit to the battlefield, we grabbed some evening snackies at a supermarket and sat on the deck watching the sun set and enjoying drinks from the "honor bar" while visiting with the black and white cat.

Next morning we had a delicious breakfast and were on our way. All of this at about half the price we would pay for a nasty old Super 8 here. Well done Bullers Rest.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PicaPica60
London
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Originally allocated rooms by the pool they upgraded us as they were having a function that night (it was more like a dinner party). Rooms were very clean, service was good and a big thumbs up goes to the bar which has a collection of military ephemera, some of which you can try on/pick up.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Flibbertiegibbet
Maseru, Lesotho
Reviewed 13 October 2013

There's nothing fancy about this place, but it was adequate, and suited my family's needs. The room was cozy and I always like the exposed thatch roofs. Water in the shower was hot. Dinner was fine; we were surprised it included wine! Service was courteous. My husband was intrigued by the bar and all the war memorabilia. Hot breakfast items were made to order. Coffee wasn't great, but I'll admit I'm a bit of a snob. Good value. I would consider Buller's again if I'm driving through the country.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2013

The room was very clean, and breakfast was excellent. If you don't like the cold, then bring some extra clothes, although I found it fine. Security was very good. There was coffee/tea in the room, I always bring my own toiletries, so I didn't look to see if there were any.
Paul (the owner) makes you feel as though you are staying with a friend, but a friend who is not too intrusive, and gives you time to yourself. He gave me plenty of information about places to visit, but I would also recommend you come prepared with a GPS/map, I did get lost in Ladysmith. All the guests on Saturday were invited to a brai (bbq) which was an enjoyable evening, well worth the extra R100.
Lovely place, lovely owners, would stay here again in Ladysmith in preference to a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Tinhatter63
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The establishment is located in quiet surroundings. This is welcome. The room was clean and neat, except for cobwebs high up on the thatched roof trusses. There are coffee and tea facilities, as well as cookies in the room everyday. The heaters do not warm the room as much as the air conditioning back home or other establishments I have stayed at. The wooden flooring is noisy.

Now for the real disappointment. I went for breakfast on the first morning. When I entered I saw only 1 table that had been set with no people sitting at it, at that time. However, the table was dirty as a group had just finished their breakfast and the table was still to be cleared. I requested to be seated at a table next to this one, but was told by one of the staff I had to sit at this dirty table, as that was the only one which was set. Disappointed, I left it at that and sat down. The table was cleared later and the one at which I had requested to be seated, also set later.

I was shown to the tea and coffee facilities. As Murphy would have it, the first cup I picked up was dirty on the inside. I showed it to the same staff member and gave it to her. By now I was very disappointed with this establishment and so (I guess) was going to be more aware of things I did not expect from an establishment that received such high ratings on Trip Advisor. When toast was delivered to the table, I realised the side plate that had been placed on the table (toast not on it-toast in toast holder) had marks on it. It had not been properly washed or dried.

This is my fist time staying in the area and there will be many more to come, as I have just kicked-off a project which will last for 6 months or so.

Based on the high ratings previously received on Trip Advisor, I might give this place another try. However, this is still to be decided. I will (in the meantime) look at other establishments in the area that I can try out for (possibly) a better experience.

Room Tip: Any room I guess is okay. They are all located close to the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dezign99
Sue d, Owner at Buller's Rest Lodge, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Our huge apologies! Unfortunately the staff member "on duty" for breakfast was filling in after the sudden passing away of our permanent staff member. As a temp , she was not up- to- speed. Thank you for taking the time to review our Lodge - We have shared your comments with all our staff in the interests of providing a better service and avoiding a repetition of yours. We do hope you will return for a better experience. Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ladysmith
Nauntons Guest House
Hunter's Lodge
Hunter's Lodge
#11 of 17 in Ladysmith
Nambiti Hills Private Game Lodge

Been to Buller's Rest Lodge? Share your experiences!