“Getaway and history”

Buller's Rest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 18 Ladysmith B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Bullers was a pleasant surprise. Wonderful property in best area on ridge above town. Upmarket, spacious, beautifully appointed and a wonderful pub full of war relics. Staff are outstanding
Affordable and breakfast and dinner were excellent
Only drawback was owner does not live there

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Buller's Rest Lodge

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I did stay here for two nights and I must say it was a wonderful stay. The room was very clean and the food outstanding. You have a great view of the rural area of Ladysmith, but as a Boer supporter I hesitated to stay here at first, since Buller was a British General during the 2nd Boer war. When I learned that he lost most of his battles against the Boers I made piece with it :)
It is a little bit difficult to find when you use the map provided on the website, but when you follow the brown signs in Ladysmith you will end up at the right place.

Room Tip: I had room 111 (not sure anymore about the number) and that was a great room, but just above the bre...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rob72CapeTown
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I needed a last minute accommodation. I called one evening about 8:30pm needing a room for the next two nights. No answer, but they called me back about an hour later even though I had not left a message. Yes, they were able to accommodate us. They upgraded our room and we still paid the lower price. The room was spacious and quiet. Linens and bedding were top quality. We slept well. Wonderful breakfast in the morning. Great views from the terraces. Wonderfully landscaped grounds. Secure parking. We felt at home.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SequimWATraveler
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I absolutely loved my stay at Bullers Rest! The staff were very friendly and accommodating, on arrival I had found out I had left my charger at home, they assisted me with a USB charger in no time. The food was excellent and I would recommend anyone staying there to have supper at the premises. The atmosphere is lovely at the dining tables.

The room was very neat and clean and everything was in place. The only advise I would give is to try have the rooms a little warmer, I did not find the heaters worked so well, but I loved my electric blanket.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Natasha R
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is a great place from which to launch a trek into the Drakensberg Mountains. The lodges are clean and comfortable with a nice looking pool ... although it was too cold to swim whilst we were there! Perched on a hill above the town the view is fabulous. The bar is wonderfully quirky and I can see historians spending the best part of a day poring over the books and articles on the Boer War and, more specifically, Ladysmith's part in it. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The evening meal cooked specially for us (because we arrived late from Durban) was lovely. Breakfast was equally good. Our only criticism is the map you will find on the website. It gives the impression of Ladysmith being a small town with four roads running east to west and four roads running north to south. In reality the town is HUGE and it took us (without satnav) 45 minutes to find Buller's. Ladysmith the night before Easter Friday was an unnerving place to be! Even the police were racing up and down the strip for entertainment, whilst we were timidly asking directions. Big cats in the Kruger were less intimidating!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GMH66
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Truly one of the nicest places I've stayed in South Africa. The rooms are well designed, great decor! Very clean! Delicious food and friendly service! We watched the sun set, sitting on the deck. Awesome experience! Best value for your money that I found. May only have 3 stars, deserves more!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The service from everyone was once again outstanding. The food was wonderful. The rooms were spotless and had everything to make my stay a pleasant one. Like "Home from Home".......
Thank you !!!
I will certainly be back to stay for my future visits, and would recommend Bullers any time a great choice to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business