“Unforgetable experience - hospitality at its best”

Naturhotel Waldklause
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Langenfeld
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We spent the long weekend of Ascension day here with my spouse and her parents. The welcome is already something special , you feel welcome. The rooms are great and the philosophy of working with natural material deliver the feeling of well-being all over the place. Wood is the dominate material. The wellness area is just amazing and left no wishes open.
Walking, hiking, cycling, all of this you can do from the hotel or with a short ride to one of the beautiful places in Ötztal.
The food was outstanding and the wine cellar is just a pearl. The sommelier, Florian Auer, is competent and provide you with the finest Austrian wines as well as with a superb selection of wine from all key areas around the globe. His recommendations are based on your desires and he make sure you get a good value and you can learn a lot. For wine enthusiasts a paradise!
I recommend to check it out!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Thomas B

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I just stayed with my girlfriend for two nights in this hotel and the entire package is simply fantastic. In the morning the hotel offers a breakfast buffet that satisfies the expectations of everyone (freshly pressed juices - can be self prepared, eggs of any kind etc). The dinner is a mix of served courses and buffet. My girlfriend celebrated her birthday the second day we were there and for that occasion the staff had a special table prepared for us. The courses itself are prepared using local meat, fish and vegetables. Even though the hotel is 10 years old it looks still new and the combination of wood and tiles looks very contemporary. This hotel offers a nice spa area with various sauna options as well as an outdoor pool. The close by spa and the tennis courts are free to use for hotel guests. I will definitely go back to this hotel. Enjoy the stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, there are minor differences
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RainZi
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My fiance and I were so glad we found this wonderful hotel on Trip Advisor. We were spending some time in Europe after a little work, and decided to spend 4 days of our trip relaxing in the alps. We ended up staying in the panorama suite (were upgraded from a junior suite on arrival), and it was beautiful! We had a giant wrap around porch with spectacular views of the mountains. From what we could see, many of the rooms had similar balconies and views, really any direction you looked it was amazing. The service was top-notch from the minute we arrived - every member of the staff was friendly and went out of their way to make our stay extraordinary. This is a family owned hotel, and the owners were present every day and were incredibly friendly. They even gave us a nice parting gift of some items from the spa and gift shop to remember our stay.

While we were there we certainly enjoyed the amazing food. The dinners were particularly memorable; our compliments to chef and staff! We also each had spa treatments that were fantastic, and reasonably priced.

Overall, an amazing experience, we will certainly be back in the future!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I came here with my wife for two nights in mid-March. It wasn't nearly enough; this was one of the nicest spa hotels we've stayed in.

The spa area is meticulously clean, serenely calm and beautifully appointed. It feels brand new. There are a good selection of amenities - a couple saunas, a couple steam rooms - without feeling overwhelming. And there's plenty of relaxation space scattered around to pull up one of the many beanbag lounges and stare out at the mountains for a while.

The biggest surprise for me was the food. I expected a certain level of quality, given the hotel's reputation and price, but I was pretty blown away by the vast selection and just how fresh and delicious everything was. All of the ingredients and preparation were top notch. And the dessert buffet was off the hook.

And now for the "bad" stuff:
- Even though it's called "Waldklause" it's not really in the forest, just kind of on the outskirts of town, shrouded by a thin layer of trees.
- I felt a bit robbed that check-out time is at 11am but most of the spa amenities don't open until 10am.
- The atmosphere / service didn't feel particularly warm. The staff was perfectly nice and very accommodating (suggesting hikes for us, arranging a ride back to the train station, etc.) but you definitely felt more like a client and less like a guest.

But seriously, I'm splitting hairs here. It was an incredibly enjoyable stay, and I'll be back. Even after the four-hour train ride back home to Zurich, I still felt relaxed thinking about the gently swaying trees outside the window of the Baumsauna.

Room Tip: We stayed in a "Relax Suite Deluxe" room, which had a good view of the mountains and a wei...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel G
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We spent 4 nights at the Waldklause over New Year's, which is why we had wanted it to be a unique experience. Overall we enjoyed our stay, but to be honest, I would have expected more from a hotel with a 4-star rating and in this price class.
It was mainly the lack of attention to detail that didn't really live up to our expectations.

It started with the welcome we received, which I felt was a bit frosty, especially after the fabulous experience I had made in the past in Austrian hotels. Upon arrival, we didn't really know where we could leave our car, so for the time being I parked it in a vacant parking space outside, while the whole family waited in the car and I walked up to the reception. I asked where we could park the car, so that we could all unload our luggage and come up reception for check-in. The staff, however, insisted that I first fetch everyone in order to fill in the check-in form, adding that 'we could worry about the car and the luggage later'. This didn't seem very customer-friendly to me.

Throughout our stay, there were other details that we were not all that happy with:
- There are two towels for the spa area in the room. After using one, this was not replaced.
- On the day following our arrival, we went out after breakfast, hanging the usual card ('please make up our room') on the door knob, and didn't return until early afternoon, only to find that one of our rooms still hadn't been cleaned. A complaint prompted a promise that it would be taken care of immediately, but we had to spend another 90 minutes or so in the lobby, waiting for it to be done.
- My parents left the balcony door open before they went out. Several hours later, when they returned, they found the room made up, but the balcony door still open (with outside temperatures well below freezing!). It took them several hours to get the room temperatures back up to an acceptable level.
- When inquiring at reception about the start of the aperitif before the New Year's gala dinner, we were given a wrong time - half an hour later than it actually started...
- The service in the dining room seemed to lack co-ordination most of the time, leading to the same questions being asked by two different members of staff, and to a very long wait on one evening.
- A waiter asking us to take two champagne glasses directly out of his hand when serving us, seemingly out of his own convenience and so that he wouldn't have to put down whatever he's holding in his other hand, is not the way I would like to be served in an establishment of this category!

On the positive side, the food was undoubtedly excellent, and the selection of bread at the breakfast buffet was the best I had ever seen. Also the wooden architecture makes the hotel a very cosy place, inviting to relax.

Still, all things considered, I felt it was too much average for its class and for the price we paid.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank RWietlisbach
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed here just before Christmas 2013, and I must say it is the best hotel I have stayed in, ever. Everything screams quality, the finest details are taken care of supremely.

The barman mixes a truly superb white Russian and the Zypfer is always perfectly poured.

We'll be back :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Hugh_frater
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Truly one of the most wonderful places we've ever stayed. An endless trip from the West Coast via Chicago, Zurich and a train from Zurich to Otztal, where we were met at night at the train station by a friendly driver who navigated up through the valley to the Naturhotel Waldklause. What a warm welcome! The front desk staff quickly registered us and escorted us to our suite, explaining how everything worked and made sure we made it to the dining room before they closed for the evening The dining room is arguably the best that I have had the pleasure to experience in a hotel of its size. The food was fresh, organic, beautifully presented and tasted as good - or better - as what I've experienced in top restaurants here in the States. Hats off to Herr Fink and the kitchen! More than enough wonderful food and drink. The in-room faucet of spring water was a lovely touch.The hotel spa and relaxation areas were immaculate, soothing and relaxing - and of course the short walk over to the Aqua Dome allowed for a spa and pool experience on a larger, almost theme park scale as opposed to the lovely intimate setting of the Waldklause. Nice that admission is complimentary to all guests of the Naturhotel. The setting for the hotel is beautiful. The Auer family take great pride in their establishment. Several times Frau Auer stopped and chatted with us to ask how we were enjoying our stay and if there was anything they could do for us. All of the staff - the wait staff in the dining room, the housekeeping staff, Martin at the bar, Lisa and the others at the front desk - were warm, friendly and helpful. I believe we were the only native English speaking guests on our visit, yet they printed a menu in English for us every evening. We want to plan our next trip soon - it's a long way from the West Coast, but worth it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank MEGATRAVELER
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langenfeld
AQUA DOME Hotel
Hotel Post
Hotel Post
#1 of 12 in Lermoos
Aktiv Panoramahotel Daniel

Been to Naturhotel Waldklause? Share your experiences!