“le vieux port”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Messanges
Camping le Vieux Port
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My family and i went here june/july of last year, the weather was good for the 1st 2 weeks but for the 3rd it rained non-stop. this had nothing to do with the site though which was amazing. everyone really friendly and helpful the pools spotless clean, the beach for me was the best, we just brought our own packed lunch and beers to the beach with us and spent the day there. people say the waves are really dangerous and i suppose they are but if you take caution you can have lots of fun with them.there are near-by towns to visit all within walkin distance, if you have a child 3 or under, a pram would be needed. there is also a great supermarket up the road a bit and reasonably priced aswell, though the more into the summer months you go they put their prices up so if your holidaying for a few weeks like we did, stock up early. we are goin back next year and cant wait.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
15  Thank lisaf60
Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed 25 September 2011

We spent eight days in total here . The weather was just amazing just one cloudy day. Showers and toilets were clean but I think the staff took Sunday off from doing it and the standard was lowered a bit but it didn't bother us much. We stayed in purple and as driving in to our pitch it was very difficult to find so I would recommend parking up after reception and walking to ur colour and number to avoid getting lost like we did . We got a lovely flat pitch for our camper van . There is one area to bar b q and ur not allowed to bar b q anywhere else so bring ur lighter fluid charcoal and a large wire rack to fit between the blocks u will be cooking on. The rubbish bins are at entrance of park so anytime heading out bring some rubbish it's a pain it's so far away though. We took our bikes such amazing bike paths . The beach was a short walk away it was breath taking. Reception staff all spoke great English . We can't wait to go back

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Teresa M
Reviewed 3 September 2011

The site is brilliant! Lots to do! Amazing swimming pools, the trouble is some of them could be warmer:L The inside pool is amazing and is like a sauna so hot and lovely!!(:
The slides are brilliant! We also went offsite to Biaritz very good but kinda expensive though, the beach is good there!(: As well as that we went to adrenaline parc, which is good for the us kids. It is pretty cheap to, which is good for you parents! It is also very good for adults to! The good thing is it isn't that far away from the campsite either! The beach which is very nearby is very good!
We also went to the bullfight, which was well interesting, lets say!:L If the circus is in town you MUST go, it is AMAZING, the lions, dogs, cats, doves, pony's, horses and there was even a lama outside!
We even had two thunder storms and although it was hard to get to sleep, in the morning there wasn't even a puddle to be seen!!
Well I would recommend this site to anyone of any ages, AMAZING!!

5  Thank Alice K
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Big pitch, great location near the beach. Clean bathrooms. Good restaurant and take away pizzas. Pool complex well mantained. Lovely beach with a surf school.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Alxmx
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Key camp mobiles homes were good as expected, however this site is enormous. Agree with previous reviews about garbage, restaurants and on site shop-expensive and a long way to walk if you are in one of sections closer to the beach. On previous sites my youngest has been able to play with other children by the caravans, hout wever I would not recommend this due to the sheer volume of bikes. My daughter was run over by a bike and we witnessed crashes between bikes and pedestrians, and bikes and cars, and plenty of near misses. It really was a case of taking your life into your hands to walk through the campsite.
The pool area is good and clean.
The beach is very close and the dunes are amazing as is the surf, therefore making it quite dangerous. There are lifeguards but the size of the waves make it unsuitable for younger children, they could stand at the edge and paddle but only with an adult. The drag of the waves was pulling people all over the show and just standing at the edge, you felt like you were being sandblasted. Howwever we saw an amazing subnset there one evening and the water seemed a bit calmer, however both my husband and daughter were mushed about in the water and they are strong swimmers. This said it is very exciting.
I would definately recommend visiting Bayonne and Biarritz and if you have a car, it is very easy to drive down to Sans Sebastian in Spain which is very pretty. The beaches at Biarritz, Sans Sebastian are much calmer but very busy.
All in all although we enjoyed the hoilday, it is what you make it, but we would not recommend this site to people wishing to travel with younger children (those who want to play outside the caravans or go to the park with their firends) as it is just too too big and dangerous (bikes). You also have to be incredibly fit just to keep walking to the pool, beach, park, entertainment, in fact anywhere.

Room Tip: Be aware that all the pitches are very close together, especially the mobile homes.
11  Thank TamHampshire
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We have just returned from two weeks camping at this site. We took our trailer tent and I was abit worried before we arrived that our pitch would not be big enough for the tent (it is about 5 metres x 7 metres) - not a problem though. There was plenty of room for the tent, the car, a table and chairs outside and with plenty of room left over. All the pitches seemed a decent size, the only issue you may have is that obviously being in a forest there are trees dotted around the pitches and it may be awkward to work around them - all adds to the atmosphere though. I liked the fact that the Keycamp tents, empty pitches, mobile homes and chalets are all scattered around the site and not all lumped together. We were lucky and our pitch (in the red zone) was far enough away from the entertainment that although it was still fairly noisy when there was entertainment on it was not really a problem, generally all was quiet by 11.30. The main gates were locked for cars between 11pm-6am, so there were generally no cars driving around at this time, which was good. The toilet blocks were cleaned regularly, but unavoidably did smell abit at times, but that was just sheer usage unfortunately. The toilets themselves were open 24/7 but the showers closed between 11pm-6am, not a problem as far as I could see. One irritation was having to queue for along while for showers at busier periods (between 7.30-8.30pm ish) whilst groups of youngsters were messing around in them - not a problem of the site though. I didn't like the fact that in the toilet blocks, the urinals were by the ladies loos, especially with my daughter with me, don't think the men liked it much as I only ever saw them being used twice in two weeks. The water wasn't very hot for washing up with, again just a minor irritation. The pool was kept very clean and I saw it the water being tested on a daily basis, there were plenty of lifeguards who didn't hesitate to stop any unreasonable behaviour. There were also plenty of sunbeds, at busy periods you may struggle to find any free, especially when people would leave their towels for the day and not use them. We found the restaurant on site to be very good, we ate there twice. The prices were reasonable and we didn't have to wait for a table either time we went. The service was very quick and the food good, also the staff speak good English. The take away pizzas are also worth a try. My daughter (10) did go along to the kids club a couple of times, but didn't overly enjoy it as she was the only English child there and there was only member of staff who did speak some broken English. There were other kids clubs available via Keycamp etc, but as we booked direct I don't think we could have used them. She did go horse riding on site, she enjoyed it but I was abit concerned that there was only one instructor to six horses. As she had never been on a horse before she was understandably nervous, but the instructor spoke very good English. The beach was walkable (or you could cycle most of the way) and was lovely, you could hire surf boards etc and there was a place you could buy snacks, ice creams - reasonably priced and spotlessly clean. However, be warned the waves can be huge. Definitely go to the beach and watch a sunset - stunning. We didn't go the the shop on site as it is very pricey. The Super U is situated just across the road from the site and we went there every morning to get fresh bread etc - walkable or a short bike ride away. The market at Vieux Boucau is about a 15 minute walk away and well worth a visit, think it is open every morning, although not sure. Also there are plenty of cafes and afew restaurants and shops here, as well as a sheltered beach - excellent if you have young children and dont want any surf, very safe. We did drive to Biarritz, about an hour away - be warned, take ur roof box off your car before you go - we nearly broke the barrier in the car park!! Overall had a very relaxing holiday - will be back.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank Fruity29
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We have just arrived home after 2 weeks at Le Vieux Port. We were recommended this campsite by a family we met at Biscarosse last year. We travelled with Keycamp choosing to stay in a static home (We have been with them for the past 5 years) and i cant fault the pitch we were given or Keycamp who are always welcoming and helpful. The campsite is overwhelming (in size) and we managed to lose my 5 year old within the first hour of arriving (Thank you to the lovely French lady who found him) and then i got lost but it is in a lovely location in the forest and you can hear the ocean from your pitch but beware! If you are able to, I recommend you take bikes or at least hire them if you can as it is a fantastic way to get around. There are lots of different cycle tracks, my 5 year old was able to do some of them and they take you to some fantastic places- the local town, Vieux Boucau and Hossegor are well worth a visit.

The Pool at the campsite was great and my 10 and 5 year old loved the slides. It was amazingly clean and well supervised. My only comment would be the chaotic scene of shoes that greeted you before entering. My son unfortunately also had his crocs taken so i would put your shoes in your bag before going in. The campsite felt very safe in general though.

There is a Go Ape type place which is a 10 minute car journey called Adrenalin adventure parc. There was a climbing bit for older and younger children and it was extremely well run and organised. My 5 year old absolutely loved it and felt part of it while his brother and dad climbed above him! We also liked a train ride up to the Pyrenees (leaflet in reception)- the view is amazing and it is a good thing to do if the weather is not so great.

Overall, it is my favourite campsite to date despite the sheer size of it. The facilities are wonderful and to have the beach in walking distance is great and saves a trip in the car! There is so much to see and do. I defy anyone to be uninspired! My 2 highlights were playing cricket on the beach with my family and then watching the sunset and eating in a fantastic restaurant in Hossegor called Le Touring cafe- the seafood is wonderful. I hope you enjoy your holiday as much as we did..................

14  Thank Tonia67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Messanges
Residence Club Pignada Plage
Le Pavillon Bleu
Le Pavillon Bleu
#8 of 17 in Hossegor
Residence Domaine de l'Agreou

Been to Camping le Vieux Port? Share your experiences!