“Don't bother to pre-book a vegetarian meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Logis Aux Maisons

Logis Aux Maisons
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Don't bother to pre-book a vegetarian meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel promised much but delivered little.

Travelling with two dogs I asked for a ground floor room. I also spoke to the owner (a fearsome dame) in person by phone two days before I travelled and explained that I would want a vegetarian meal and that I did not eat fish but was happy to have dairy. She assured me it would not be a problem.

When I arrived, after a long drive and very tired, the hotel was having trouble with its drains. Unfortunately the drains were right outside my bedroom and the stench in the bathroom rendered it impossible to use for the first few hours of my stay. I asked to change rooms but was told this would not be possible. The problem with the room was exacerbated because the air conditioner was not working (not even plugged in) and there were no windows, only a door. Obviously for security reasons I could not leave the door open overnight. I had a very unpleasant night's sleep on account of the smell and the heat.

But the reason I selected the hotel was the highly recommended chef. A pity, therefore, that he could not be bothered to make arrangements, given the amount of notice he had, for a vegetarian choice. I had to fight very hard with the waiter to get anything other than a green salad as a first course and an omelette as a second. The waiter consulted the owner who was dining at an adjoining table. She looked daggers at me, didn't bother to shift herself and come over and discuss the matter with me. I held my ground, though, and in the end the chef did deliver up a delicious vegetarian meal. Given that he had clearly not been told I was coming I commend him. But I do not commend the owner nor the waiter. The wines were excellent.

In the morning I took issue about the state of the room. I was told I could have had an alternative room (I was specifically told the night before that I would not be allowed one) and therefore they would not give me a discount. After some discussion it was agreed that they would stand me a beer in compensation.

In my view this was simply not good enough service/attitude for a hotel of this alleged calibre.

Room Tip: Don't select a downstairs room!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Leicestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

This was booked as a stop over returning from the Alsace region. The staff were very welcoming and nothing seemed a problem, they helped us with the selection of wines and champagne and the choices were excellent. The gourmet menu was very good with a varied selection to suit most tastes. As it was Bank holiday weekend the hotel was busy and even though there were some large parties eating the service was still good. The room was on the upper floor and was light and spacious.

Room Tip: As this is in a quiet village location there is very little noise in any room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank trueguide
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

I am not sure what others are referring to with rude staff, we found them charming and lovely! We turned up exhausted for a one-night stay on the way to Calais, and they took care of us and our two young children. We were treated to a nice room (albeit decorated rather 80's, but clean and comfy) and the staff made us feel like it was a priority to have our young kids looked after. The restaurant is absolutely heaven - the food is incredible, as is the service. I cannot recommend eating at the restaurant enough, and I didn't find the wine prices to be exorbitant, rather along the lines of the usual restaurant wine lists. Overall, we had an exceptional stay and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others. We stayed in the annexe - a lovely area a bit outside the main building of the hotel/restaurant, and more suited for families.

Room Tip: The annexe is great for families
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

The hotel is located in a very small village. It is all very calm and quiet. We stayed for one night in a four bed room in the annex. This was OK for us. Nothing fancy but nothing to complain about either.
The reason to stay here is the food. It was absolutely fantastic and we all enjoyed our dinner.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

personnel very arrogant and borderline rude. We were treated as "guest of second importance" compared to the french guests and no effort was made to make us feel welcomed. The food is good but the whole experience is spoiled by the service and attitude. Room was very basic, defenetly not a 3 star...maybe a 2...maybe even less. Very poor relationship price to the quality of the stay. Never again. If you can choose go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Maisons les Chaource hotels

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

Searching for a place to stay about 4 hours from Calais puts a circle around Troyes. The Aux Maisons is of the beaten track (add 30 mins to your journey time) and well in the country. But what a little Gem, rooms very clean with very comfortable bed and ask for Aircon room. Rooms small but adequate with good En-Suite facilities (shower no bath). For only 72 euros we could splash out on dinner, which was excellent, with good wines at a reasonable cost. Staff do not speak much english but we all managed to understand each other.
Highly reccomend the restaurant. Our total bill was no more than staying and eating in a Chain hotel but the experiance so much more enjoyable. We will be stopping there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eurobob
NE England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

The most fantastic gastronomic experience! Choose the set menu with the different wine with each of the 6 courses. We could not faulty a thing with either the food, drink or excellent service. Sat outside to have coffee and cognac before walking around the village at midnight to try and digest the food.
The room was sufficient for the one night we stayed, but the lack of air conditioning made for a hot night. However we will return to experience the food again.
Good breakfast, not that we could manage to eat much after the night before.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
#5 of 23 in Troyes
Hotel Sylvia
Hotel Sylvia
#1 of 1 in Chatillon-sur-Seine

Been to Logis Aux Maisons? Share your experiences!