“Clean friendly, family hotel, run by lovely people who are geat in a crisis”
Review of Hotel Cristallo

and 1 more site!
Hotel Cristallo
Ranked #7 of 11 Macugnaga B&B and Inns
maidstone
“Clean friendly, family hotel, run by lovely people who are geat in a crisis”
Reviewed 24 February 2010

Booked a week at the Cristallo with Pink Mountain Holidays (small company very friendly and helpful)
Booked to stay from the Thursday before half term and into half term. (We have a school age son) The hotel is simply furnished, spotlessly clean and in a great spot, quiet, and 2 mins walk to the chair lift (you can ski back to the hotel though, which is nice if you are heading back wrecked at the end of the day.)
Macugnaga itself is a very peaceful resort split into 2 with a 10 (15 to 20 back as it's uphill, but there is a bus) min walk between the 2 parts. We were in the bit called Pecetto which is quiet with a couple of places to eat and several shops, It also has the easier runs. (Though there are demanding reds as well) This area tends to be better for beginers/ intermediates (we have been skiing a few times before but are not really good) The other part of the resort ( Where a lot of the restaurants are) is serviced by cable car and there are blacks etc but we didn't ski there as we didn't see the need.
I almost don't want to be too positive about this place because I don't want the world to find out what a brilliant resort it is, and turn up en masse.
For a start everyone loves kids, My son had a brilliant time.
This year they haven't counted the snow in inches they are counting it in metres,
There were no queues for the lifts while we were there, and we were there the busiest week of the year!
The tuition was excellent (Cheers Aldo) and even my hired boots were comfortable!
Amazingly for Europe (what with the Euro to the pound ) it was not that expensive. Lunch at the hotel was 10 euros and a 4-500ml jug of local( and pretty drinkable) wine 2euros 50
At the hotel itself, food is tasty and plentiful (being offered seconds was a regular feature and believe me we took the offer up.)
Several of the guests had a go at pasta making while we were there and very good it was when it turned up on the table that night!
The hotel has a very friendly feel, alsmost all the guests greeted each other each evening. (There was a mix of Brit Italian and I think French.)
Now we come to the big stuff, I always believe that it's less important how you are treated when things are going well. Its much more important how you are treated when they are not .
My husband broke his shoulder on the first day of the holiday and spent 3 days in hospital, over an hour away. The lady from Pink mountain holidays (Rachel) gave up an entire day of her week to take me over to the hospital and act as a translator while I tried to sort out his repatriation to the UK. (She could not have been more supportive) In the meanwhile the hotel and several of the other guest (Thanks ladies, you know who you are!) virtually adopted my son so that he would not have to spend all his time with me at the hospial. They stopped him worrying about his dad by playing games with him, kept him fed and occupied, and they did it as a group effort ( It was so wonderful not to have to worry about him as well as my husband.)
The hotel were also the ones that had a doctor on the scene in 5 minutes,forwarded faxes to the UK and translated what the doctors were telling me over the phone. They were simply marvellous and manged to do all this in the busiest week of there year when the hotel was full to the roof.
We would have gone back anyway for the good snow good food and wide empty pistes. Now I feel like we will be returning to see friends who helped us out in a crisis.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family