“Wonderful stay”

Royal Davui Island Resort
NYC
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Royal Davui is perfect for a quiet getaway. Since they only have about 16 villas, there is plenty of privacy. Each villa is tucked away in a jungle-like setting. It's very peaceful. If you need some additional human interaction, most of the guests tend to head to the bar in the evening for a pre-dinner drink. Some nights they have traditional dancing or a cava ceremony with the band boys.

The rooms at Royal Davui are beautiful. We had our own plunge pool overlooking the ocean, open air living room and giant soaking tub.

The food was great. There were plenty of choices at all meals. They offered a variety of local, western, asian and indian cuisines. The kitchen staff is more than happy to accommodate any dietary restrictions.

The dive shop is run very well. The equipment is good quality and the dive guides/boat drivers are very friendly and helpful. Definitely try to set up the shark dive in advance of your arrival. It is worth it!

The only thing I wasn't nuts about was our flight transfer. Our pilot was very nice and seemed knowledgeable, but the plane itself didn't seem to be in great shape. I've been on plenty of small planes before, and this is was my least favorite. If I were to do it again, I probably would do the drive from Nadi to Pacific Harbour instead.

I was very impressed that each member of the staff made a point to come up to us and shake our hands and introduce themselves. We were always greeted by name and with a smile throughout our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank LIVS2TRVL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My Husband and I spent 5 nights here for our Honeymoon in April and it was beyond words as to how incredible this place is! From the moment we checked in at the Airport for our Flight to the Island we knew we had made the right choice in Davui. Our Pilot was very friendly and explained everything to us as I was a little anxious about being on a small plane, however I had nothing to worry about it was an amazing experience in itself, it was so scenic overlooking the Coral Coast and all its beautiful reefs. When we stepped on the plane we were escorted straight to a beautiful air conditioned bus and whisked away to the Harbour for the next stage of our journey. Upon arriving at the Island we were greeted by Manager Michael who was incredibly welcoming and friendly! The staff all gather together to sing to you upon your arrival and you feel instantly at home, before going to the restaurant for a cool drink and a nice wet towel to freshen up while you fill out all the standard check in paperwork.

At last we arrived at our Island Plunge Pool Vale! It was even better than it looks in the pictures! We were welcomed to the Vale with beautiful flowers on the bed and a freshly baked loaf of banana bread that was still warm – it was amazing!!! We spent a lot of our days in our plunge pool that we could request to have the temperature changed on so it was always the perfect temperate.

The food was like nothing I have ever experienced before there was always something new to choose from everyday and it was super exciting coming back to our room each night to find our “Davui News” there with the next day’s menu options in it! My husband and I are quite picky eaters however we never had any trouble finding something we liked on the menu and the option was always there to repeat a previous meal from other days if there was nothing you liked.

Activities are so easy to book, however, I recommend booking the sand-spit picnic as soon as you can as its very popular and you definitely don’t want to miss out! We were escorted across to the sand-spit and left with an umbrella, some chairs, an esky full of food and a mobile phone to call if we wanted to return earlier than the arranged time. We had our picnic at breakfast time, we choose the bacon and egg sandwich (it was HUGE 4 eggs and piles of bacon), a tart, banana bread and fruit salad, along with various juices and bottled water, it was all there ready to go!

The other activity that we did was fishing, again we were sent out with an esky loaded up with 2 big containers of fruit and 2 large containers of freshly baked biscuits and bottles of water, it was amazing how organized everything was there was nothing over looked at any stage!

The water is crystal clear, the sand soft and white, the food incredible, Vales like no other. We would go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank need2travel_1989
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Arrange a week here and you will relax, recouperate, enjoy and experience the happy Fijian hospitality, good fresh modern food and the seclusion of a private small island.

You can swim, go fishing, picnic on your own private sandy cay or just do nothing. Villas are spacious and private. Its not a gated resort .... its a truly beautiful little Fijian island. Michael and Ange were great hosts .... spoil yourself. We did and we didn't regret a minute.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David B
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We came here on a pre cruise stay for 3 days and 3 nights. Bare Necessities travel booked the whole resort for that time period. It was everything we hoped for and more.
The resort staff are the sweetest most enjoyable people I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.. We still have one more day and night left on our stay here . I'm kicking myself for not coming a few days earlier .
The Food is delicious . I don't really drink but from what I can see the drinks are good, at least the people having them seem to enjoy them..
The snorkeling around the island is really nice. They have scuba diving trips just about whenever you want to. The Kayaks,Hobie Cats and paddle boards are all included. However other than the snorkeling we have just been laying on the lounger at the beach and pool.
This one is definitely on our list to do a Revisit soon...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Redlin7280
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We spent 5 days here on our honeymoon, and it was everything we could have asked for. Perfectly relaxing, slightly glamorous, luxurious. Before leaving, I was slightly concerned about the food and the (potentially) limited menu – I'm not much a fan of seafood (really a shame, I'm sure its unmatched there for a seafood lover!), so I wasn't sure I would have many options. My concerns were all for naught – the menu, day after day, was perfect. Everything that came out of the kitchen was delicious and there were plenty of options to suit anyone's taste.

There were plenty of activities on the island, although my husband and I are too fair-skinned to lounge on the beach all day, so we scheduled a few day trips through the hotel to mix things up. "Happy hour" in the evening, and the nighttime entertainment made for a really nice "community" atmosphere.

It was a wonderful trip, and a beautiful resort. I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We decided to splurge on our honeymoon and travel to Royal Davui for 10 nights; and were we glad we did!
From our initial enquiry to landing back home again after our honeymoon, we were looked after perfectly. Any queries we had during the booking process were handled quickly, efficiently and with friendly service - which is some feat considering I was very anxious about it running smoothly and asked a myriad of questions!
Not being such a great flyer, the light plane trip to the harbour was a bit scary for me, but in hindsight was a great experience. The views during the speedboat ride were breathtaking, like we were motoring away from the real world and straight into paradise. Even from our first meeting with the marine staff on the boat, we were provided with friendly smiles, towels and chilled bottles of water.
Once we arrived on the island at sunset, we were greeted with a welcome song and those famous cocktails.
From then on, our 10 night stay was a blur of impeccable food, tasty cocktails, days spent at the spa, enjoying water activities, fishing, visiting the village and just generally relaxing in what we are sure is the best holiday we will experience in a very long time.
We would thoroughly recommend it to anyone, and would love to eventually go again (once our account balance recovers!).
Now - if we really had to pick holes in anything (and we would be hard-pressed to do so), we can only think of a few minor things that could have been improved upon:
- The lounge furniture was terribly uncomfortable, and not really fitting to a 5-star resort with a matching price tag. We didn't spend much time in there anyway, but it is something that we noticed.
- We made many friends across the island, but we did notice that the gentleman who took care of the plunge pool would just turn up around the side of our vale; we were glad we didn't happen to be in the nude any of those times!
- The servings of food were too large and very rich; I eventually had to ask them not to serve me any entrees or desserts as the sheer amount of food began to turn my stomach. I often wished there was just a plain food option available, and took to asking just for vegemite toast for breakfast - so make sure you take your appetite and antacids with you!
Other than those tiny, personal-preference things, we honestly had the most magical honeymoon and can't wait to go back in the future.
So if you're trying to decide whether to take a chance on Royal Davui - DO IT! :)

Room Tip: We chose the basic Island Plunge Pool Vale (we had number 6) so that we could spend that extra money...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheMrsCooper
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My new wife and I had our wedding on the island without a hitch, due to the weather we had not even decided were on this beautiful island at 7:30 am. We had planned on a beach wedding but due to the wind & rain for days before we moved it to the northside at the last moment. At 8am we decided to move it to the lovely little hut near the beach on the northside even though the sun came out but the wind was still too strong. The wedding was at 11am and they had arranged and decorated the hut in flowers and palm leaves and made it wonderful. The village choir and Native Warriors to escort my bride to the altar was worth the little extra cost. The staff and management went out of their way to make sure our wedding and stay for the whole 8 days a week will never forget. The food was fantastic and if you are unable to eat seafood like me, they will cook up whatever you want or even supply you your favorite from the last few days if you wish, 3 days of the same desert is not a problem if thats what you want to eat.
We stayed in villa 15 which had views that you would pay millions of $'s to have.
The Plunge pool was a little cool so we just picked up the phone and asked the it be turned up more, nothing was ever a problem and all the staff could not do enough to make you happy, They just want to help you and see a smile on your face, ask and if it is possible they will either do it or arrange it for you. Ask for Ben to take you fishing, it is fantastic. Stertirie at the Bar and Restaurant will look after you and make you feel like Kings & Queens. Jale will mix the best Cocktails and shooters for you. Noemea at reception will make any tour or activity happen, she looked after all our wedding arrangements for us, the wedding was stress free and no bother to us, she was trying even to change the weather for us and she nilly did it even it it was mother nature she had to talk too. We just didn't what to leave, they make you feel like you are Royalty and the only sad thing is Leaving. But your memories last the rest of your life and take lots of photos, like we did and they are happy (more than) to take a few of you as well.
We miss them all so much and it's not only a week since we came home. Many thanks to Mere (Rest/meals), Sonny,Jale & Dui (Marine house), Sparky (of the Kava demo's and songs) and Michael (the GM) and all the rest of the staff for making our Wedding Week such a time we will never forget.

Room Tip: Valla's on the Eastside have great views of the mainland and Beqa Island, a little breezier but...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Wellesley Resort Fiji
Wellesley Resort Fiji
#2 of 3 in Korolevu

Been to Royal Davui Island Resort? Share your experiences!