“Amazing time, felt like a family, just all good things to say”

Royal Davui Island Resort
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Its been a few months since we ended our honeymoon at this resort in Fiji during the summer of 2010. What a great time we had. I'll try to hit on the key points that made our stay so great.
First, the staff is just so friendly and they made you feel like you were their family. Whether it was sitting down with the managers (Daryl/Julie..??) to chat about life or just the smiles that you'd get from any of the staff when you'd see them.
Also, the rooms were so clean and well kept. Yes, there were geckoes (harmless and mainly in the bar area) on the ceiling or a snake (on the paths, never in the room), but they were harmless and really didn't bother us at all. The geckoes were actually pretty cool to watch. In fact, we had just come from another resort in Fiji where we had issues with bugs, and we so very happy to see how clean and bug-free these rooms were here at Royal Davui. It was so relaxing each morning to wake up and drink coffee on the balcony overlooking the beautiful setting right on the water.
The island itself was very unique and fun to walk around. It was very small, so you could swim around the whole island in 30mins or so depending on your pace. There is a reef all around the island that has a wide variety of marine life. Snorkeling or scuba just off the island is all you need to do. There is also at least one (or maybe 2) secluded beaches to go to.
Another great aspect of the resort was the fact that the managers had their personal boat on the island and would take guests out fishing on it (for a decent price too). This was a treat!! Daryl got us on the fish, and with a little luck we had quite a catch that day (which we were able to enjoy for the next few days).
The other activities were fun too, whether it was kayaking around the island, lounging at the pool, snorkeling around the island (saw some great stuff....), sand spit picnic, scuba, surfing, etc. Definitely do the sand spit, and book it right when you arrive.
As long as you are comfortable on a small island such as this (16 rooms I believe), you will not be disappointed here. For us, this was perfect, and we're hoping to go back to enjoy it again sometime.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lacsn

Reviewed 16 December 2010

We stayed at the Royal Davui in November/December. We were blown away from the moment we arrived at Nadi Airport for our flight to Pacific Harbour (the views from the plane were amazing) to the boat ride (we saw turtles and dolphins) to the Island where we were greeted by Julie the General Manager and sung a welcoming song by the amazing staff.

Our villa 6 was magnificent - we couldn't get enough of looking out at the views from our heated private plunge pool. With two balconies from the separate living room and bedroom areas, you have a great feeling of space, and also of privacy. The bathroom roof opens above the shower and jacuzzi to see the sun or stars.

We highly recommend going to the Sand Spit. We did this on our last day, but if we did this earlier we would have gone again. They take you on a 20-30 minute speedboat ride out to a sand bar which is only exposed at low tide. They leave you with an umbrella, picnic (breakfast in our case) and emergency phone leaving the two of you with your very own deserted island (maybe 30 by 15 meters depending on tide) in the middle of the ocean.

My wife and I had the most incredible time here, and would it recommend it without hesitation. You lose all concept of time (thankfully no tv or other distractions) and you can just enjoy each others company. It is nice and quiet - only around 15 couples on the island.

1  Thank Travel_0084
Reviewed 19 November 2010

My husband and I stayed for a week Nov 7-16th to celebrate my 40th Bday and our belated honeymoon. We have absolutely no regrets on choosing Royal Davui. So many things to mention, so here we go:
1) Location is paradise! The reef and marine life surrounding the island is magical, so many fish and corals to see, unbelieveable.
2) We had Bure #5 and the views from the decks were amazing, we watched reef sharks every morning over coffee in our robes. ( Do not worry about the sharks, as I HAD a phobia, and it did not deter me and it has diminished as they only scurry away from you)
3) The food was amazing. I have read past reviews about the food and portion size, and I can tell you my husband and I never went hungry, and only asked for more due to the taste being divine. The tuna sashami is fantastic and the best I have ever had, and we had it for 4 nights as an extra appetizer for this reason. Out hats off to the chef Wiese.
4) The staff were friendly and attentive always. Once again, past reviews have stated many things different, but I can tell you the service couldn't of been better. We came to know them all as friends, and I had a tear fall during the good bye song due to this. Julie the manager was great as well, keeping the smiles going, and we enjoyed her company over happy hour.
5) The shark dive is a must, as my husband is still in awe of the 2 tiger sharks he was able to see that day. His hat's off to Bilo!
6) I have to comment to the past reviews on snakes. I have a phobia of them, and never saw one until I purposely went looking them with staff at night. So if that was a concern for anyone reading all the reviews, ignore it and go.

If anything goes wrong, just let the staff know and they will correct it asap. We had issues with our hot tub, and they ended up replacing the heater, but it is a small thing compared to the raves above, so did not affect our feelings of our week there.

Overall, we had a fantastic, amazing holiday, and my husband thinks anyone who doesn't feel the same after visiting, must be impossible to please. This was a bucket list trip for us and we were not disappointed!

2  Thank katiekato
Reviewed 13 November 2010

OMG!!! This is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth. I am a very well travelled travel agent, and Royal Davui blew me away. Not just the beautiful vales, and picturesque island - but the gunuinely friendly staff at your beck and call to help you with your every need.
The snorkelling around this island - just 5 minutes from your room, is better than that of the Great Barrier Reef (I can compare as I spent a week there the week after Royal Davui!).
And the Sand Spit excursion is the most unique and romantic experience - loved it!
I recommend this resort for all couples, honeymooners.....those looking for a romantic escape to paradise

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ronniemay21
Reviewed 12 November 2010

My wonderful husband surprised me with a one week holiday to Royal Davui and he definately picked the most romantic, relaxing and beautiful island paradise. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty by the friendly staff and never tired of their amazing smiles. No request was ever too much trouble. The food was 5 star quality and it was difficult to choose which tempting dish to order. They even had a cooking class to teach us how to bring the flavour of Fiji back to Australia. Joe the barman was a master cocktail maker and served each drink with a "Cheers!!" and the Kava ceremony was a must-do. The Davui hermit crab races was a fun way to meet some of the other guests and it is amazing how 'grown-ups' can become so competitive watching little crabs trying to cross a line. Luxurious is the only word to describe the Vales with their majestic ocean views from not only the large decks (Yes there are 2 decks on each vale) but also from the lounge room, bedroom and bathroom. Relaxing in the plunge spa pool was heaven. (Please take the time to visit the website and check out the pictures of the Vales to get an idea of these amazing architech designed masterpieces. ) The library enabled us to bide our time with board games and books provided for use by the guests. The snorkeling was spectacular with the picturesque coral and brightly coloured fish so close to the shore. There were so many offered activities - white water rafting / waterfall bushwalk / diving / village visits / sand spit picnic / Suva tour / deep sea fishing - just to name a few. But the most amazing thing about our experience on Royal Davui was how the staff managed to organise for us to renew our wedding vows when we suggested that it would be a perfect end to this romantic holiday. A beautiful white draped canopy on the beach, flowered archway, Celebrant, Fiji traditionally-dressed warriors and staff taking photos and video for us made this a holiday to remember. The very moving ''farewell song'' bought tears to my eyes when it was time for us to leave but we take with us the most wonderful memories. Trust me when I tell you that you will not be disappointed if you spend a week at Royal Davui. We will DEFINATELY be back!!!

1  Thank KimberleyandDennis
Reviewed 9 November 2010

From the moment we got off the boat and onto the wharf the entire holiday was a blast.

The staff were awesome and were always there to help.

Although I was accused of having favourites amongst the staff this was not true. The staff made the entire holiday.

Thank you to Julie and the staff for helping Kimberley and I renew our wedding vows. made the holiday even more special.

Sorry to the bar staff for ordering swo much ice and making them do 3 trips a day.

1  Thank dennis_klenner
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Abosolutely beautiful, we were here for the first part of our honeymoon, and had the best time. The staff was so welcoming and friendly, we truly felt a part of their family. The villa was perfect with amazing views, and we loved the plunge pool!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
20 mi away
Wellesley Resort Fiji
Wellesley Resort Fiji
#3 of 4 in Korolevu

Been to Royal Davui Island Resort? Share your experiences!