“Great stay and hospitality”

Wagner Hotel & Pensionshaus
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kamp-Bornhofen
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay and hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here over Easter this year and I would recommend this hotel.
The staff were really friendly and very attentive to your needs. My sister and I had such a great time. Probably the most at home I have ever felt in a hotel.
The breakfast was lovely (the nicest rolls I have had). The room I stayed in was very clean, the shower is the world's BEST power shower and the pillows were the most comfortable I have EVER come across.
The area is also stunning and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lois C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

If you stay in the Rhineland and need to choose a cheap hotel then my opinion would be to save as much money as possible and choose anywhere but the Hotel Wagner.
Room.
We requested a bath in our room, we got one. However, it wasn't a hotel room but staff quarters (The door wasn't a room number but marked "Private") which had not been used for some time and had an unusual odour to it that was quite off putting. The room wasn't cleaned for some time either and this habit didn't seem to change when we were here as the carpets were filthy, there was dust everywhere and the bedding wasn't changed once. The bed was a double but used 2 single mattresses (one was 5 feet long and the other was 4 feet) and my wife had to sleep on the shorter one as my legs were hanging off. The bath we requested seemed to have been cleaned with swarfega as the enamel coating had been almost expertly removed and created a very unusual exfoliating experience of your body. If you do have the misfortune to come here bring your own towels as the hotels are dirty, have the absorbency level of steel and are far too small for an average human to use. Some reviews on here say that the hotels "entertainment" is quite noisy and I would have to agree. The entertainment lounge was situated below us and we could here everything that was being played, sung and said. The poor gentleman in room 15 told us he still hadn't had a nights sleep after two days. This coupled with the church bells going off every hour made for some uncomfortable nights. Was advertised that there is a sauna area but this seems to be for special guests as the door was quite firmly locked and we were told that its "not for us"
As this was a cheap holiday we were not expecting to dine in michelin quality style. This was good, as michelin tyres would be more suitable. Two day old chicken stock (cooked on Monday and reused on Wednesday) and left over vegetables being passed off as "minestrone soup" was one of the "highlights" with tinned cold custard being served as a "local" pudding and microwave cooked crunchy (why????) pancakes with pie filling centres being two other special delicacies that we were subjected to. My wife was only sick in her mouth a couple of times which I believe was lucky after listening to our room neighbours all through the night being VIOLENTLY ill. Breakfast was continental corn flakes, ham, cheese and aldi brand yoghurts with the same tinned fruit cocktail appearing at both breakfasts and dinners. We know it was the same as the strawberries that they put into it turned all the other fruit from pink to dark red over the few days we were there. The entrance of a large hairy dog half way through the dinner service and sitting and sleeping next to the self service area was a little alarming for those whose stomachs were still sensitive from last evening meal
Staff
Waiting staff were clueless as to what was being served and didn't seem to have much enthusiasm for the job anymore as most food was plonked down with a grunt. Bar staff charged what they felt like charging depending on what you looked like and whether you tipped them. We paid 16 euros for the same bottle our friends paid 14 for. The owner was rude and pervy (looked at my wifes chest and made a comment about being overheated, in the dining room. in front of everyone).
Overall
Basically, if you do want to visit the Rhineland, it is nice and the people are very friendly but there are so many more welcoming hotels but I would rather sleep in a tent than stay at this sham of a hotel.

Room Tip: rooms NOT in the Hotel Wagner are quieter, cleaner and the food is less likely to kill you
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Paul W
Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

For value for money at christmas try Skills Christmas on the Rhine 5 days at the Hotel Wagner in Kamp Bornhofen. Strikes the right note. Let team leader Andreas handel your festivities! They make you welcome Good food. Ann & John Trueman Edwinstowe Mansfield.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank melody43
leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Just returned from a lovely New year break with Harry Shaw coaches,The hotel Wagner at Kamp Bornhofen Was just perfect.Andreas the manager was great and had such a wonderful time.The hotel was clean from top to bottom and the buffet on new years eve was out of this world,The breakfast was continetal style which you would expect so don't expect a fry up !.Evening meal you didn't get a choice but what you did get was satisfactory with soup to start then main course and desert.Have stayed here twice now and would definately go back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank thefoxesleicester
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

My friend and I have just returned from a five day Christmas break in Kamp Bornhofen, staying at the Wagner Hotel. The coach company we went with was Skills.

I'm not the best of sailors, nor is my friend, so when crossing the Channel and gale force winds and rain lashed the ship it was like being in a scene from Moby Dick. A lot of people were sick.

We arrived very late at the hotel, 1.00am to be precise,but were warmly welcomed by Andreas, the owner, and his staff, and a hot meal awaited us.

I'd requested a single room with balcony, and was delighted when shown to a double room with balcony and views overlooking the church and River Rhine. The food at the hotel was not elaborate, but we were not paying 'elaborate' prices. It was well cooked, nicely presented, and tasty. I enjoyed every mouthful.

The heating in my room wasn't working properly, but when I mentioned it, it was quickly put right.

Andreas pulled out all the stops to make it a happy Christmas for all There were gifts for everyone, and then on Boxing Day he dressed as Santa Claus, and handed out miniature Santa Clauses, chocolates, and lollipops. As well as his innate kindness he was very amusing and could outdo any TV comedian. One evening we had a German magician and his wife as entertainment. They couldn't speak English, so Andreas had the task of describing what was taking place. He was hilarious.

Was it a good Christmas? Would I return to the Hotel Wagner? I'd give a resounding YES to both questions.

Room Tip: I was in Room 47
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beryl M
Mablethorpe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel as we were on a Skills Coach Trip from Leicester. The hotel was very basic and not as clean as I would have hoped but the food and hospitality more than made up for it!! No English Breakfast but plenty to eat with cereals, fruit, croissants, toast, meats, cheeses, yoghurts - in fact the only thing missing was sausage and bacon - otherwise perfectly adequate. I thought on first visit to our room that they hadn't made the beds up as they leave your quilt folded in the middle of your bed but hey ho, 2 seconds and its sorted. They were comfortable very warm rooms.

The rooms themselves were very tired and old fashioned but it had enough room for all of our clothes etc for a 5 day break. Lashings of hot water for showers and fluffy towels. No toiletries are provided but it is a budget hotel. There are no tea and coffee making facilities, so take a travel kettle etc with you. The trips out were varied and not to everybodys' taste but you are never going to please a whole coach, no matter what you do!!

Enjoyed a stop at a Belgian Chocolate Factory on the way home, fairly pricey, but managed to get a few nice things for Christmas for family etc. All in all I would do it again but wish I had taken a winter coat as it really was unusually cold for the time of year.

Would I stay at this hotel again - yes purely for the hosts and the food, spot on!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Chris H
derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

i travelled with national holidays to the rhine,had done it before but stayed for the first time here. very nice indeed. clean, the room was large,and the staff were most friendly. the lift was easy to access, and the dining area small but all the nicer because of the quaint decor,. the food was well cooked,and a choice of main meal was given. would i stay there again? yes.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jane w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamp-Bornhofen
Hotel Kurfuerst Kamp
#5 of 6 in Kamp-Bornhofen
Bellevue Rheinhotel
Bellevue Rheinhotel
#2 of 19 in Boppard

Been to Wagner Hotel & Pensionshaus? Share your experiences!