“What we expected, what we paid for.”

Panorama Palace Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Meta
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The Hotel seems to offer most things it claims to. I found all staff to be very friendly and eager to help wherever they could. I found no issue with cleanliness. The bedrooms are twin or double, but this means pushing the twin beds together and using a double sheet. Not ideal as the mattresses are worn in the middle, making it as if we were both sleeping on seperate beds anyway. The hotel claims to offer an airport transfer service. We couldn't make contact via email before the trip, the hotel didn't reply. We managed to pay 10 Euros each for a coach to Meta. The return journey wasn't so much fun. We had a very early morning flight. The hotel said no to a transfer. Helpful. They did offer to arrange a taxi for 120 Euros. Far too expensive. They then offerred a 'friend' to transfer us, for 90 Euros. I declined. We paid 50 Euros for a small hotel near the airport the night before we flew. The train to Naples was only 3 euros each. Quids in. All in all, we had a brilliant holiday. The hotel was somewhere to sleep and it allowed this very well. I agree with the early morning garbage collections, this is an issue, one morning, someone decided to empty a bin full of glass bottles into a truck at 0300 morning. The breakfast was adequate but didn't change once. Crossaints, salami, luncheon meat and cheese. Plus cereal. I would have liked a varierty at least. We skipped breakfast at least three times in a week. We would go to Sorrento again, but not the Panoramo Palace. The bus service was easy to Sorrento but took about 40 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ryanhowell_85
There are newer reviews for Panorama Palace Hotel

Reviewed 3 July 2011

Panorama Palace looked good on paper and on the map it looks as if the view is amazing, but once there, expectations fizzled to disappointment. I arrived as part of a group, and the bus could not make it all the way up to the hotel because the streets are narrow, so we unloaded our luggage near the sea and a little van came from the hotel to carry them to the hotel. While the luggage got a comfortable ride, group members had to walk up a very steep road to the hotel. The hotel itself is dated but looked clean. The food was ok, but the dining room staff seemed overzealous about sitting people in specific tables even if the restaurant was completely empty. My room was clean with dated and sparse furniture, and the paper-thin towels absorb nothing and that so many hotels in Italy seem to favor. That was all fine, but they advertise their hotel as having WiFi so everyone in our group was looking forward to it. But once there we found out that WiFi only works in the lobby and costs 3 euro for the privilege. We all thought, no problem, there was a small sitting area so some of us paid the wifi fee and sat at the lobby, only to be frustrated beyond belief with the lack of connectivity. One by one members of the group went to the desk and got a refund (probably three or four of us). I thought that if everyone left, I would finally be able to connect but I too gave up and went to ask for a refund. To my surprise, the lady behind the desk was visibly frustrated and became rude telling me that she "cannot give a refund every time a service doesn't work"! The hotel is far away from the heart of Sorrento and if you want to go out you will need to call a taxi. There is a little cafe/bar nearby with nice few of the sea, but they closed at 10 PM when we were there. I went to Sorrento last year and stayed in a nicer hotel right in town and it made all the difference having friendly staff and being right in the heat of town.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2011

This hotel is a good 45 min drive to Sorrento or 60euro cab fare. There's one tiny elevator which makes it impossible to use when a group arrives with luggage. Across from the hotel is a small bar with an outdoor patio. At the bottom of the hill and long windy road is the beach. Breakfast was rather poor.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 24 April 2011

NOT a 4 star hotel! I would rate it a high 2 or low 3. The staff were friendly but none of them seemed to know anything and if they did they didn't want to help. They didn't know bus or train schedule for the holiday and seemed like a burden for them to find out for me. My room was freezing at night and was told that the heat had been cut off for the summer already (in April) which during the day was fine but it was absolutely freezing at night. When I called to ask about it I was told to get a blanket out of the wardrobe that was all. No apology for the inconvenience no offer of anything else. The hotel looks like a college dorm, old, smelly, and loud! I found numerous hairs in the sheets of the bed! GROSS! I was booked for 4 nights but left after 1! The hotel is also NOT in Sorrento but in Meta which is a bus and train ride away.

To the hotel- You need to make some serious upgrades or don't call yourself a 4 star hotel

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Just a word of caution. We arrived at the hotel around lunchtime, to be told that they had arranged a special lunch for those that would like it. Before accepting their kind offer of hospitality, please ask them for the price. Having been up since 3:30am my wife and I decided to accept, and had a snack, consisting of four slices of motzerella cheese and four slices of tomato, a piece of fruit tart and a drink each. We were presented with a bill for 36 euros. A tad over priced as you could get the cheese and tomato snack for 4.50 locally. They seemed to charge what they liked, having discussed the matter with our fellow tavellers later on, the price varied alot.
Our room was clean and comfortable for the three nights of our stay, not a quiet place, awoken several times by very early morning services (dustcart etc.,), and then found myself listening to the town clock striking on the hour and every quater, alas no view over the bay of Naples, before travelling north for the rest of our tour.
Half board - the hotel food served was adequate.
Staff were helpful and attetive.
The resort of Metalooks a little tired/untidy. Mostly private beaches nearby, a little challenging for those with walking issues, easier going down than coming back. I don't think the beach lift was in use, only 0.60 cents (one way).
Hotel, pool, (unheated), & lounge areas clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Luigiapanorama, Proprietario at Panorama Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2010

Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your kind review. We took note of your disappointment regarding the snak wich is "Caprese salad" a typical Sorrento meal we serve as main course. Regarding the price, we can ensure that for a caprese salad, services, covered and dring € 15,00 per person are not too much. However we really appreciate you highlight about this matter. Regarding the noises which disturbed you while sleeping, unfortunately we have a church nearby and here the bell rings every qurter. From the room the agent booked for your stay there is no view because it was an economy one. We are really glad you appreciate the food we served during your stay. Meta is a quite resort few steps from Sorrento but is safe and clean. The lift you saw close to the hotel runs and takes € 0,60 per way. Finally I would like to underlight that we are a seasonal hotel opened in Summer time we do not need to have an heated pool.

We really hope to welcome you again in our hotel offering you a sea view room at the same price of an econly one.

Luigia Dell'Amura

Reviewed 28 September 2010

We arrived for a weekend break and having eventually found the hotel were disappointed at how dowdy and down at heel it was.
The bedroom was large but completely characterless and had no sockets whatsoever. I had to charge my phone on the razor point in the bathroom.
We returned back to the hotel on the Saturday evening to find the bar closed and no one was willing to provide us with a drink. There is a bar fridge in the room but nothing to open bottles with.
Breakfast was extremely disappointing with dried coissants and a bit of cooked meat, this added t surly staff constantly checking their watches did not make for a good start to the day!
The windows were dirty, the car park extremely difficult to access/exit and generally the hotel should have one star not four.
There is nothing nearby and nothing to recommend this hotel

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carolmatthews29

Dear Guest,
We thank you for your review and we regret top hear from you that you was a bit disappointed on the hotel location but we wrote everywhere that we are in Meta, just 4 km from Sorrento center.
The room you stayed in was a sea view room and had sockets on both sides of the beds, in fact the lamp are also connected there. The hotel bar close at 10:30 P.M. all evening but you could asked at the reception for a soft drink. Regarding the bottle opener there is one in all minibars in rooms. I personally checked your room and I found the bottle opener behind the wafer package.
Regarding the breakfast we offer a continental buffet breakfast with fresh bread, croissants, cakes, sweets and savory. I spoke with the Maitre and he remind you asked for scrambled eggs, which is an extra and needs to be prepared when you ask, and the Maitre watched his clock because the chef were not in the kitchen and the Maitre was really worried for you waiting for this eggs for long time.
Regarding the windows, I would like to inform you that we clean them every 2 days except when we have an heavy wind which carry salt from the sea. We usually clean the windows once the wind ends. Our garage is at complete disposal of our guests who want to leave the car there but if you found troubles to go in and out you were free to leave the car on the blue strips outside the hotel.
As explained on the first point, the hotel is in Meta di Sorrento, a quiet resort not far from Sorrento ideal to whom needs to have rest and relax.

We hope you can return in Sorrento Coast to enjoy this fantastic land,

Luigia Dell'Amura

Reviewed 9 September 2010

Although the pictures of the views are lovely only a very few rooms in the Hotel enjoy this. I stayed with a coach load of people in the annexe where we had a view of other apartment blocks and their washing. The Hotel runs a small mini bus to ferry guests and cases up the ramps but you are still left with many steps to access the Hotel lobby and the annexe. The pool is the smallest I have ever seen for a Hotel - I enjoyed a larger one in a rented villa the year previous. The standard of cleaning is haphazard and the rooms very basic - no drawers, no mini fridge a very spartan regime - much more like a 2 star motel room. The food is OK but avoid the Rissotto which is really rather strange. The lobby and common areas are rather dark and dated. The pool area neglected with broken furniture, broken tiles and no possibility of any bar service there. The poolside area was also infested with ants as were some of the bedrooms. The corridors in the annexe have no emergency lighting system and the hotel switches off all lighting so if there is ever an emergency you have no chance as this is your only fire exit. Best take a torch. I was there on a tour with Newmarket Travel as they had over booked the Moon Valley. Should you find yourself in a similar position best cancel the holiday. Everyday we were there we saw people complaining to our Tour Rep about some problem or other. It is an extremely inaccessible Hotel in a very run down suburb of Sorrento littered with graffitti. The Terrace Bar would be pleasant if it were not for the fact that you had to brave the gang of youths on scooters, spray cans in hand, who congregate on the road outside the hotel and the lower Terrace come sundown. I have never been so glad to leave a place in my life and I know the rest of the coach party shared this view. There are other far better hotels in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Luigiapanorama, Proprietario at Panorama Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2010

Dear Guest,
I thank you to left your point of view on our hotel on Trip Advisor. I regret to hear that you were a bit disappointed on our hotel. I think, your disappoint is due to the fact that you was relocated in a different hotel to the ones you booked with NewMarket. I don’t know which type of room you booked with Newmarket at the Moon Valley. But I can ensure that I gave to the group standard rooms because this is the type of rooms they requested to me. The standard rooms are very basic, with standard facilities. I agree with you on the fact that in case of overbooking of the hotel you booked previously it is better to cancel the reservation. Regarding the pool, due to the space , I built a 10x 5 meters pool to give to my guests a further service.
I would invite you to spend a free night in my hotel In a sea view room so you can change your opinion.
Luigia

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meta
Mar Hotel Alimuri
Grand Hotel Moon Valley
Art Hotel Gran Paradiso
Art Hotel Gran Paradiso
#42 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Panorama Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!