“Best Avoided”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Meta
Sorrento, Italy
“Best Avoided”
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Although the pictures of the views are lovely only a very few rooms in the Hotel enjoy this. I stayed with a coach load of people in the annexe where we had a view of other apartment blocks and their washing. The Hotel runs a small mini bus to ferry guests and cases up the ramps but you are still left with many steps to access the Hotel lobby and the annexe. The pool is the smallest I have ever seen for a Hotel - I enjoyed a larger one in a rented villa the year previous. The standard of cleaning is haphazard and the rooms very basic - no drawers, no mini fridge a very spartan regime - much more like a 2 star motel room. The food is OK but avoid the Rissotto which is really rather strange. The lobby and common areas are rather dark and dated. The pool area neglected with broken furniture, broken tiles and no possibility of any bar service there. The poolside area was also infested with ants as were some of the bedrooms. The corridors in the annexe have no emergency lighting system and the hotel switches off all lighting so if there is ever an emergency you have no chance as this is your only fire exit. Best take a torch. I was there on a tour with Newmarket Travel as they had over booked the Moon Valley. Should you find yourself in a similar position best cancel the holiday. Everyday we were there we saw people complaining to our Tour Rep about some problem or other. It is an extremely inaccessible Hotel in a very run down suburb of Sorrento littered with graffitti. The Terrace Bar would be pleasant if it were not for the fact that you had to brave the gang of youths on scooters, spray cans in hand, who congregate on the road outside the hotel and the lower Terrace come sundown. I have never been so glad to leave a place in my life and I know the rest of the coach party shared this view. There are other far better hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Luigiapanorama, Proprietario at Panorama Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2010
Dear Guest,
I thank you to left your point of view on our hotel on Trip Advisor. I regret to hear that you were a bit disappointed on our hotel. I think, your disappoint is due to the fact that you was relocated in a different hotel to the ones you booked with NewMarket. I don’t know which type of room you booked with Newmarket at the Moon Valley. But I can ensure that I gave to the group standard rooms because this is the type of rooms they requested to me. The standard rooms are very basic, with standard facilities. I agree with you on the fact that in case of overbooking of the hotel you booked previously it is better to cancel the reservation. Regarding the pool, due to the space , I built a 10x 5 meters pool to give to my guests a further service.
I would invite you to spend a free night in my hotel In a sea view room so you can change your opinion.
Best Regards
Luigia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Nottingham UK
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I have just returned from 2 weeks staying at the Panorama Palace Hotel. I do believe that the star rating for this hotel is misleading as it is not a 4 star standard. However, it is clean and the staff are polite and helpful. I stayed with my daughter for 10 days and we had a wonderful time. My husband then joined me for a further 4 days when my daughter returned homel. Meta is small and quiet but if you want a bit more 'excitment' then Sorrento is not far away and the busses run regularly and are good at keeping to the time table. The beaches are well kept and very clean. The Piano bar next door to the hotel is a wonderful place to sit and watch the most spectacular sunsets in the evening whilst enjoying a drink. Breakfast is typically continental and adequate. The pool is small and it is not really designed for sun bathing - more of a splash pool really, but again very clean. The hotel is quite noisy - it seems to echo, but at night the air conditioning (which incidentally is free) keeps the noise out. The air conditioning goes off at 8.30 ish in the morning which was ideal for us as it woke me up in time for breakfast. If you are looking for 4 star plush luxury then you are going to be disappointed. But if you want a nice friendly hotel with no frills then you will be fine. The rooms are small with no 'extras' normally found in 4 star establishments. But don't let this put you off - it's lovely really and we had a wonderful time. Learnt lots of new Italian words and can't wait to go bacl to lovely Italy.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank E20MAB
Dear Guest,
I want to thank you for your kind review on our hotel. It is a pleasure to hear from you that your stay at our property have been good. Me and my staff do our best to make a stay as pleasant as possible and we want to thank you to underlined the fact that the hotel is clean.
Regarding the pool, is 10x 5 meters due to the fact that there is not enough space to build a bigger pool. I built a pool, also if small, to give a further service to guests who choose our property.
The noises you heard from your room have been caused to the fact that your room faced the little square opposite the hotel. This is a public space so I am not in charge to move people off this space.
For the stars, I can ensure that the 4 star have been assigned by a technical staff who came at the hotel and had a survey on all the property. However we are planning to renew most part of the hotel.
Thank you to suggest the hotel to others and hope to see you and your lovely family at my Hotel.
All the Best
Mechanicsburg, PA
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I stayed at the Panorama Palace hotel about two weeks ago. I just stayed for one night. I arrived on a tour bus that dropped me off near the bottom of the cliff, which the hotel sits upon. A luggage van came to get my suitcase at the bottom. Call or something to request that van because you will not, I repeat myself, you will not want to carry your suitcase up stairs and ramps to the hotel.

The hotel rooms are numbered and spread out in a weird fashion. I got on the elevator, expecting that my room was upstairs, but really my room was downstairs! It is a confusing layout.

The room was very average. It was a decent size. The room had 4 twin beds, a desk, and bathroom. It also had a sliding glass door that led you right out to the swimming pool and an area with tables and chairs. The beds were not very comfortable and I only had a sheet to cover up with (although, I thought the temperature in the room was fine). The room lacked electric outlets, there was only like one in the room and I had to crawl under the desk to reach it. The bathroom was sort of nasty. There was sand from the beach all over the floor, not enough hooks for towels, sink was kind of dirty, the toilet had major flushing problems, and the shower didn't drain well.

The restaurant at the hotel is average, too. I had dinner there -- pork and potatoes, not bad. And I had this weird yellow custard for dessert, I would not recommend trying it. The breakfast the next morning was a typical Italian breakfast. I had rolls and butter and juice. The restaurant was set up and looked fancy. Its on like the 3rd floor.

The hotel has a nice pool, which I didn't use because it closes early. And like I said earlier, an area where you can sit outside. There are tables, chairs, and swings. I sat there for a while, pretty nice. Across the street, there was a little food shop and bar, and more tables to sit at. It was nice because it overlooks the ocean! The view from this hotel is breath taking! It is so beautiful, take lots of pictures!

What I loved most about this hotel, is that it was close to the beach. The walk is actually pretty long and time consuming (don't quote me but I think there were nearly 5 ramps and 150 steps or so), but that is only because your walking down a windy cliff. I also think that there is an elevator to take down, but you must pay money. There is a free beach and a few really nice private beaches, which you must pay for. If you stay at this hotel, make a trip to the beach. But don't bring hotel bathroom towels to the beach or pool. The hotel staff does not like it and they will not give you another towel.

I have to say, the hotel wasn't a five star, but I liked it. I enjoyed my stay. I don't know if I'd stay here for a week, but a few nights is fine. Great view, great beach, great city (just a short drive from Sorrento!). I'd love to visit this area again and I would probably stay here again, too.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Traveler0714
London, England
Reviewed 18 August 2010

My 6th stay at this delightful family run hotel - the welcome and hospitality is beyond those expected and much appreciated. Sadly my health is far from good this year and the wonderful family and staff went to extraordinary lengths to ensure my stay was everything I could wish for.
A huge thank you to you all.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SbrLondon_England
Luigiapanorama, Proprietario at Panorama Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2010
Dear Stella,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you again at our hotel and we thank you for your kind review. Me and all the Staff have made our best to make your holiday as pleasant and relaxant as possible.
We are sure that your health will improve so you can return again next year and enjoy the most of your well-deserved holiday.

All the best – Ciao !

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I spent some beautiful days in the hotel with my boyfriend. It's a nice, big hotel, with a fantastic view from the room. We really enjoyed our stay, the rooms were clean, the breakfast was Ok, and the staff was very friendly. They helped us with their advises, where to go, how to get to Sorrento, and so on. Sorrento is not too far, and really beautiful. We travelled also to Naples, which took about an hour by train. The sea is very close to the hotel. So we recommend this hotel, and Meta di Sorrento to our friends.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Luigiapanorama, Proprietario at Panorama Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
Dear Lisa,
We thank you for your kind review. It was a pleasure having you as Guest and hope to see you again in the near future. We are very happy knowing you enjoy your stay at our hotel.
All the Best
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Location
-A bit complicated to reach, narrow streets.
-Outside the hotel a nice view over the bay.
-Beach close, walking distance. Elevator that goes down to the beach /0,30 eurocent/person). A piece of free beach exists with locals. During the week much people but still place for everybody. Other parts of the beach you need to pay an entrance fee. Parking 2 euro/h. Clean.

The room
Simple. Television (the old ones). No mini-bar (in the room we had). Towels of low quality. No four-star standard. Clean.

Other
-The hotel has it's own pool, closes 7 pm.
-Free parking. Car keys needs to be left at the reception, they might move your car to make more space for other cars.
-Breakfast: simple, both sweet and salt things. Fruit. Hot drinks served at the table.

Over all inpression
A simple hotel near Meta beach.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
.Dear Joanna,
We thank you for your kind review on our hotel. We know that many guests find hard to reach us because the GPS take them in narrow street as they put on the GPT the shortest way to reach the hotel, and this takes you in the narrowest streets of all Sorrento Coast. However we suggest to everybody to select the more comfortable road to our hotel, following the signs to the beach and then to the Hotel.
Regarding the in room furniture, and especially the TV, will be changed in the next year. Unfortunately you booked a standard room which is not provided with mini-bar, available in sea view rooms. Regarding the towels, the low quality is due to the washing with disinfectants to guarantee Hygiene for all our Client.
We hope to welcome you once again in the near future, when we will renewed the hotel.
All the best
Oregon
Reviewed 1 August 2010

The Hotel Panorama Place was a maze of hallways and stairs, all wrapped up in a pretty hotel on top of a very big cliff.

I stayed here in a group of 28 people during our tour of Italy with EF Tours. We were all so stoked to be in Sorrento that we didn't really care where we stayed. We even found the crazy treks to our room fun. But be warned, you can get lost easy.
The hotel seems to have grown outwards into neighboring buildings, but not all of them- just pieces of them. To get to my room, one would leave the lobby and turn left. Then go up to flights of stairs and take a small white hall way off to your right. Ignore the two wide doorways and the spacious sitting room where the elevators dump you off- go for the smallest doorway you see. Walk a few feet, and then step up two steps and turn sharply. Don't worry, the hallway won't let you go any other way. The hall way will turn again and you'll see an unmarked door. Don't open it. Keep going and turn again. Now walk down this long hallway and you will finally see two doors and the end of the hallway. These two rooms are guest rooms, and easily 200 feet away from any other rooms in the hotel. With the lights flickering, and the white pained walls, it almost gave off an abandoned mental hosipital vibe.Did I mention that in this long abandoned hallway it was just me and one other girl sharing the room? Two seventeen year olds all alone over there. It was scary. The rooms itself were nice, if a little drafty.
Then came the journey to our friend's rooms. These were the other people in our tour, more high school students like us. We wandered back down the mental hospital hallway and back to the stairwell. From there, we went up a flight and through a small doorway. Then you go back down six steps, around a corner and up three steps. From here you can go down a hallway on your right or keep going straight and back down three more steps. Take a left and walk down a long hallway and there is the final three rooms. These ones had an ocean view (as compared to the courtyard view we had, complete with cute little laundry lines that had really skimpy lingerie drying on it) and the view really was nice (if not panoramic as the hotel's name would suggest).
All in all, you're probably getting what you pay for here. It's way off the beaten path, but it's totally an adventure. We had fun playing hide and go seek among many more hidden hallways and stairs that went nowhere all night. If you're one for fun, this place has some.
If you get bored of staring out at the blue sea, then go for a walk and visit the pretty church down the street. There is even a fairly legitimate internet coffee bar around there somewhere.
And the other reviews weren't kidding about the towels- they are super thin.
p.s.: We found a jewel of a gelato place in Sorrento. The hotel is far away from the city square, but when you get to the square, if you face the ocean, and go towards the left, you'll stumble across a pretty packed gelateria. It's worth the search; they have a ton of interesting flavors. It's not a chain like Blue Ice, which you will see all over Rome. It's a family business and they enjoy making up new flavors all the time.

• Stayed May 2010
Dear Kenna,
Thank you very much to leave your impression on Tripadvisor. As you saw, the hotel is a 50’s building and at that time the hotels were made with this plan. However we hope to see you and your friends in our hotel again.
Best Wishes.

Luigia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meta
Mar Hotel Alimuri
#4 of 19 in Sant'Agnello
Hotel Club Sorrento
Hotel Club Sorrento
#15 of 19 in Sant'Agnello

Been to Panorama Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!