“Sunny Sorrento!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Meta
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Sunny Sorrento!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

When my daughter (aged 32) and I decided to finally visit Italy, we chose Sorrento as our destination. The Mar Hotel Alimuri turned out to be an excellent choice.
While the hotel is not large, and lacks some of the amenities associated with others in popular resorts, there are many things in its favour. The rooms are quite large and beautifully laid out, offering a large balcony with sea views, and the air conditioning makes the room a welcome haven after the heat of the day.
As a pair of vegetarians, we often find the holiday diet restricted and repetetive... not at the Alimuri! To be fair, we expected pizza and pasta, but the hotel offers a separate vegetarian menu at dinner, and we ate well every evening. There are plenty of choices to be had on the separate buffet with fresh salads in abundance. Breakfast and lunch tend to be a a little more repetetive for us herbivores, but there is a lot of choice if you are a meat-eater.
The staff at the hotel are mostly lovely! We only encountered one unhelpful person on Reception on our first night... but we never saw him again! Christian in the bar will have a go (not always successfully!) at most drinks and cocktails you can think of, and is a really nice guy. The waiters and waitresses are friendly and helpful ,but the gold star has to go to the Maitre d' who is always ready to have a joke... and admonish anyone who doesn't clear his plate!
The shuttle bus that runs regularly into Sorrento is a godsend, and the drivers are brilliant and grateful for a tip as you leave the bus.
As for the resort... there are a few little strolls available and you can find a tiny bar or two (if you want to!) but the main area is Sorrento. Here, you can shop, stroll, eat and drink and watch the world go by. It's also the place to head for the Water Taxi to Naples or Capri... but the walk to (and even more so, back from) the port...lots of steps and the roads wind steeply uphill with very little space for the pedestrian.
Trips worth taking are the Water Taxi to Naples... lots of cultural interest and plenty of shops, and the trips to Pompei and Vesuvius (wear comfortable trainers or similar).
Would we go again? Definitely! Would we use the same hotel? Of course!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have a sea view, so they are all great. We were on the second floor and it was...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Freaky1954

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Hungarian first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Family of four I'm an asthmatic so need good air con in heats of 30+ I sent an email a week before I arrived.

Day of arrival food offered covered in flies, air con and electrics not working, after nearly 13 hours travelling spent the next 5 hours sat on bed watching maintenance men fix everything that should of been working before we arrived, was told by receptionist that we had to stay in our room until everything was sorted!!! So we couldn't change, or shower or go to the pool which was where everyone else was that we had arrived with, I wasn't happy, when they said it couldn't be fixed! At thus point I asked for either a flight home or another hotel!

Eventually it was fixed and working and we quickly showered and went for our evening meal, food was sub standard, we had a couple of drinks then went to bed as we were all very tired.

Wed 30th July our first real day went to book a seat on the shuttle bus only to be told well shouted at that we had to book 24 hours in advance, anyway the booked us on the 11 o'clock bus we then asked how to get to Herculaneum only to be told 'get on the train and ask' unbelievable!!!

This attitude went from bad to worse, we were shouted at for not getting a table before getting our food one lunchtime, we didn't know the RULES plus there were plenty of tables set up! I was actually called STUPID!! The staff continued to be rude as they were too busy affine over the large wedding party they completely ignored the smaller groups for drinks and food. They are supposed to come around the pool and on the beach offering drinks and refreshments in the 7 days we were there not once did they offer us drinks, they bypassed us and went straight to the larger parties, and when we asked for drinks they never brought them, so we went to the bar to get our own drinks, only to be told to go away they will bring drinks until in the end my husband insisted they serve us and we will take them ourselves.

The shuttle bus didn't turn up for us so we had to get a taxi which cost us 50 euros, when we walked through the doors into the hotel the receptionist shouted at us again 'why you get taxi shuttle bus come for you' I said calmly NO it didn't turn up! She then started to argue with me in Italian.

All in all, a really horrible experience, that took me a year to save up for, nearly £3,500 is a lot of money, for my family.

My first all inclusive and my last, not worth the money, no snacks on offer at anytime, so if you miss a meal you've had till the next meal time!

Rude staff, grubby room, air con not working, food not up to standard, hotel falling to bits, NOT 4* more like a 2* and that's being generous. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Room Tip: Just don't go! If you've already booked cancel it!
12 Thank Missy J
ilariag86, Direttore at Mar Hotel Alimuri, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Usually I thank you for the comments post on Tripadvisor but not in your case.
The only truth in your comment is that, unfortunately, after few minutes by your arrival the air conditioned (in one of the 2 rooms) was broken. Our maintenance has worked very hard for more than one hour to put everything in place.
I have witnessed that my reception staff was with you in the room for all the time to invite you and your family to go to the beach or to the pool in the meantime my maintenance staff was working to resolve the problem.
Everything else are only malice words that denigrates all the efforts and the passion that me and my staff dedicate to each of our guests.
Fortunately you are one of the few that think to have had a horrible experience with us, just read the other 365 positive comments.
Thank you for your attention and since you are in top form to give suggestions please let me give a suggestion to you, before to leave a negative comment think to all those who worked to resolve the problem and to all those who have been around of you to hint you as much as was sorry for the problem but especially to all those who have been around of you to enjoy your holiday.
For you all of us have failed in our mission. Thank you
Giovanni Spina
Manager
middlesbrough
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Having just returned from this hotel on 5th aug 2014 , having stayed there with a party of 25 people for my daughters wedding, what can I say its a 5 star hotel with 5 star service , one of the best hotels I have stayed , the staff & I mean all the staff are fantastic they cannot do enough for you , from Franco the lifeguard & pool man who never stops coming round the pool & beach with drinks & ice cream all day long , the waiters & maître d,s in the resteraunt nothing to much for you , the service is second to none , but my biggest thank you is to Christian the bar manager who looked after us like royalty for two weeks nothing was too much trouble for him ( thank you) the hotel & all there staff made my daughters wedding day a perfect day , and I wish to thank everyone at the hotel for making it so ,many thanks from my party of 25 , I will be returning to this hotel again ,.
From Mally &24 guests

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room you won't regret it the view is magnificent
6 Thank mallywelder
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel for two weeks at the beginning of July. Check in was easy, although we really wanted to go straight to our room and sleep for a couple of hours, but we were instead ushered down to lunch as the room was not ready (it was finally ready two and a half hours after we had arrived).
We had a room without a balcony, which was fine for our needs. It was very spacious, on floor 5, towards the front of the building. Having a fridge in the room was a real bonus, and it was stocked with water every day. Fresh towels were also left every day and the room was spotlessly clean.
Breakfast was a real treat, with everything you could imagine available. Lunch was my Husbands best meal of the day, lots of fresh pizza, salads, and grilled meats. We found dinner mostly of a good standard, and the variety of desserts brilliant.
The drinks package was quite simply outstanding, from bottles of prosecco with dinner, to cocktails or international branded spirits. AND served to you at your table. Fantastic.
The pool is quite small and was often crowded but there always appeared to be room on the beach. We only spent one afternoon at the pool so can't really comment alot on it but the lifeguards were constantly bringing around drinks for the guests.
The overall service from the staff was of a very high standard. The waiting staff were efficient and discreet - particularly Carmine- and the bar staff, the wonderful Valentino and Christian and the two ladies were so hard working.
The location of the hotel is a bit out of the way, but this is what we expected. The free shuttle bus was very good, we tended to get the bus to Meta Station in the morning and walk back in the afternoons as it is downhill! The traffic can be a bit scary so you need to be careful!
This was our third visit to Italy, and the all inclusive package really did represent such good value for money, and I would really recommend it to Adults, but perhaps not really for children.
The one bit of advice I would offer to people would be to put your swimmers and a clean t shirt in your hand luggage if you have an early flight and also to pick up a bottle of suncream from boots after check in, and relax while your room is being prepared for you! ALSO do your research before you go. Loot at the Artecard website, which will give you some good ideas about trips and how to save money! Most things can be done very easily on your own and hassle free (and far cheaper!) You can get a Saturday day travel ticket for just 5.60 and a three day travel ticket for 20.00 (from Sorrento Station). Entry into sites is inexpensive or get an artecard to save even more money (closest place to purchase Pompeii gift shop). Enjoy!
BTW If you intend on going in 2015 I would book up ASAP as it is selling out fast!!!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mrandmrsyoung_10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Having just returned from a week at this fantastic hotel, I must write while it's fresh in my mind... Our stay was absolutely wonderful from start to finish and the Alimuri is an absolute jewel on Meta's Golden Beach. The rooms are immaculate, the views are stunning and the sound of the sea is truly relaxing. The staff, however, are just outstanding: so friendly, welcoming and happy to help in any way they can without being intrusive. The food is delicious and there is so much choice available. I was especially pleased that they serve Italian dishes and lovely pizza at lunchtime. I must also recommend their luxurious spa which is a cool haven of tranquility when the sun gets too much! The Alimuri exceeded my expectations and I hope to return one day to this beautiful setting for another wonderful holiday experience.

7 Thank helz_6
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just come back from our trip and the only thing I regret is that we didn't book for longer. In terms of reviewing the hotel, it is quite a gem in the Sorrento area. It is rare in Sorrento to find a hotel with private beach, so this was really our deciding factor. We chose this despite there being no mention that I could find of WiFi availability, so I was extremely happy to find that the rooms and the bar area had free WiFi coverage.

As to food and drink, we went for the all inclusive option which was brilliant. The breakfast included the classic bacon, scrambled eggs, baked beans and so on, but also had a lovely selection of Italian cut meats and fruit as well as sweet things and cereals. At lunch you got a wide selection including burger & chips if you feel the need, but the Italian specialties is what I would recommend going for. Especially the basic pizza with tomato sauce, cheese and mushrooms was simply the best I had ever eaten. The same theme continued for dinner, with antipasti followed by a starter dish, a main course and of course a selection of fruit and sweet things. In case you felt hungry in between there were always snacks from nuts to pizzas available in the bar.

The rooms and the overall appearance of the hotel is spotless and you can see that all staff take pride in keeping it that way. We stayed in a family room with a double bed for the parents and two individual beds for the children, which they appreciated very much. We loved the beds with mattresses that were firm without being hard. This was the first holiday my wife had no back problems from sleeping in beds that were too soft.

The staff are lovely from reception (thank you Antonella) all the way to the (thankfully underutilized lifeguard) are more than accommodating. The lifeguard even delivers drinks and ice cream at the pool and beach and the bar manager is preparing a Kids Cotail each day to ensure that the younger family members do not feel left out.

One last tip - there are two lifts, one for four people on the right and one for six people on the left. Take the six person lift to the 6th floor to get to a rooftop terrace with a beautiful view of the bay of Sorrento.

Room Tip: We stayed in a family room which was perfect for us.
8 Thank Marc M
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Lovely food, excellent staff.
It is romantic, however go outside school hols if you're not keen on children/families.
Shuttle bus is excellent, you have to book but this was never a problem.
The beach is private but be prepared for locals taking over the front of the beach and the sea immediately in front of the beach. In fact, I would use the term 'private beach' a bit loosely. The sunbeds are yours but the hotel has little control over who uses the rest of the beach ie they own the beach but not the sea!
Children playing ball games with no consideration of how close they are to sunbeds.
Having said that, the 2 guys who look after the beach cannot be faulted - they bring drinks, water and ice creams .
Lovely hotel. Would go again although if possibly out of school hols.
Rooms and bar service superb.

Room Tip: Get a sea view, it makes the holiday so special.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank virginia p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meta
Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro
Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro ...
#1 of 12 in Piano di Sorrento
#2 of 19 in Sant'Agnello
Hotel Mega Mare
Hotel Mega Mare
#2 of 20 in Vico Equense

Been to Mar Hotel Alimuri? Share your experiences!