“A wonderful place to stay”
Review of Orchid Corner B&B

Orchid Corner B&B
Ranked #6 of 13 Meta B&B and Inns
Poole, United Kingdom
“A wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

A big thank you to Antonito and Georgia for welcoming us into their home and making us feel like a member of their family.
The emails we received from Georgia prior to our visit were extremely helpful and she even sent one the week of our visit reminding us to ring when we arrived by bus from the airport so that she could come and meet us. She gave us a guided tour of Meta showing us the location of the train station, the shops and a restaurant before taking us to Orchid Corner which is tucked away in the old part of the town.
Our rooms were spacious and beautifully decorated. We had the "cat" room and our daughter the "elephant" one. We made our own beds and for once the towels weren't changed unnecessarily every day although Georgia made it clear that when we wanted clean ones to let her know.
Antonito served us a lovely cooked breakfast every morning. I think we had a different one every day. We often took a leaf from the cats' book and relaxed in the comfortable chairs on the patio in the sun before setting off for the day.
When the time came for us to leave Georgia arranged for a taxi to pick us up and take us into Sorrento to catch the bus back to the airport. Antonito packed a breakfast for us to take with us which we really did appreciate.
Nothing was too much trouble for Antonito and Georgia and we certainly hope to return for another holiday.
Keith, Jackie and Dianne

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jackie B
OrchidCornerAdm, Proprietario at Orchid Corner B&B, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Friends, thank you very much for the beautiful words. We are happy to know that you have enjoyed your holiday in the Sorrento Peninsula and especially that you felt like at home in our house. It was nice for us to know your wonderful family and we hope that our roses bloom early in your garden so, when you will smell their scent, you will remember us. See you soon. A hug.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

It's the 1st time I have opted for a local B&B, prefering normally to stay in decent hotels. I'm so glad we did! What a fantastic place Antonito has, supported by his daughter Georgia who both contributed to the great experience.
Based in the backstreets of Meta amongst the local area we got to experience a part of real Italy whilst being only 5 minutes from the beach and 15 minutes walk to the station (bus and train). It's only 20 or so minutes from Sorrento on the bus, half an hour to Pompeii on the train and 20 minutes drive to Positano making the whole area entirely accessible. Although we had a hire car, you could quite easily do without one if you are comfortable catching the public transport.
Our hosts also arranged a boat trip along the coast to Capri, lasting the whole day at a cost of €70 pp which was one of our highlights. Another highlight was lunch at Ravello followed by a wander through the gardens of Villa Cimbrone.
The Orchid Corner has 4 guest rooms which surround a delightful courtyard where Antonito prepares a simple but enjoyable breakfast for you each morning and where you are welcome to relax with a drink in the evening. The room we stayed in was very spacious and comfortable. Although it was slightly noisy at times with doors closing and cars driving by, this didn't really affect us adversely.
Weather was great with blue skies and temperatures of 35 degrees (a welcome change to the deluge in England!).
I'm definitely staying in one of these B&B or "Agri-Turismo" establishments again and I can only commend Orchid Corner in the highest way possible - lovely hosts, great location and lovely rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for any room other than the one next to the entrance door.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GazzyE
OrchidCornerAdm, Proprietario at Orchid Corner B&B, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear GazzyE, it's always a great satisfaction for us to read these beautiful words about our house and our job, so thank you very much! We are happy to know that you have enjoyed your time here, our help for planning your days and our breakfast of course! We hope that you will come back to visit us again. We send you a big hug.
Maywood, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 June 2012 via mobile

I thought I would be in a lovely setting with a warm and welcoming, typical Italian couple and their delightful cat. What I found was an Italian family more similar to the Borgias!! The website said to call them from the train station and they would pick you up. Well, not so. I called three times, finally using a
different number, and was told the phones weren't working. I was hopelessly lost and my mother and I were stranded with our bags in the hot sun. No one even knew where the place was or could Give us directions to the adress. We finally found it and were met by the daughter who did not even offer a cold drink. We were told her mother was ill, their cat featured so prominently on,the website was dead. I was very upset at how isolated the place was...nothing in walKing distance. There is a bus nearby into Sorrento so I thought we could make it work. But that night, father and daughter told me since their phones did not work, I would not be able to pay by credit card and would have to pay for a 5 night stay IN CASH. This was pretty much all the cash I had...they would escort me to the bank so I could get a cash advance on my credit card...What? I told them that was not going to happen. In the morning, I went into Sorrento and found better accomodations. I promptly informed Antonio of this. The daughter started talking about penalties, rules, etc. They then came to my room with an ultimatum: pay 2 nights cash or we'll hold,you to the whole reservation. Now they claimed they never take credit cards (even though they took my Visa as security for the reservation. They told me their website never mentioned pick up @ the station (I showed them the printout). When the mother heard them having difficulty with me, his woman who was suppposed to be on her deathbed and struggling to walk, bounded down the stairs brandishing her cane, ad banging it on the stairs, screeching at the top of her lungs that she was the boss and things would be done as she said. It was like something out of a horror movie but scarier...the last hotel that came close was the Bates Motel! In,the end, we had no choice but to pay 2 nights cash and leave first thing in the morning..I was told to be out before. 10 am..they needn't have worried..I couldn't wait go! It was an awful start to a long anticipated Italian holiday. The garden was buggy and run down and the dampness is hard to descibe but nothing dries and you feel chilled to the bone. My garbage wasn't emptied. The packaged sweet buns were far from a typical breakfast and certainly not what was expected at their room rates....stay in Sorrento and skip this tourist trap and their shakedown tactics.
As for the cat? I think he ran away too!

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank JOYSKID
We don't need to answer to your rude words because there are so many reviews of our guests that can answer to you very clearly. Good luck.
Munich
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I don't know what all those bad reviews are about. We had a very pleasant stay. The owner picked us up at the train station (in an old Fiat Cinquecento - so pack light) and he offered us some local white wine. Breakfast was also tasty and warm. True, the church bells ring most of the night, but what do you expect in southern Italy? After spending a few lovely nights in crowded, chaotic and lively Naples, Meta was incredibly peaceful, and Orchid Corner had a very relaxing vibe. We chose the room near the entryway, with a window to the road, we could hear the occasional car or Vespa, but it is a village atmosphere.
The village piazza has several small grocery shops, a salumeria, and a wine shop with giant vats of local wines. We actually bought a bottle of good quality local red in a grocery for 1 euro 50, and I saw another for 1.20. The couple running the newsstand spoke good English and were helpful advising me about bus tickets to Sorrento, and then selling them to me. Buses run every 20 minutes, and stop near the train station, but trying to find the bus the first time to go from the station to the B&B would be a little tricky.
We visited the pay-to-use beach after 3pm when it cheaper, and during the week when it was practically deserted. Some free areas were available, too. The views are amazing. On Monday night most restaurants were closed, but we assembled a small feast of local meats, fruit, tomatoes, olives, bread, and the above-mentioned wine.
Orchid Corner itself is a 4- or 5-hundred-year-old house which shows its age on the outside, but is thoroughly modern on the inside. Spacious rooms (we were given our choice of 3 available rooms), clean and well-appointed, with modern bath facilities - our bathroom was a bit small, but adequate. My experience has been that these smaller B&B's and boutique hotels typically change towels every 2 or 3 days. This is not a 4-star hotel, and we all need to be more conscious of our environmental impact anyway.
We considered several hotels and B&B's in and around Sorrento, including the fancy Hilton where we could have had a deeply discounted price through my employer, but we chose Orchid Corner, knowing more or less what to expect, and we were not disappointed. Sorrento is a bit overrun by tourists, certainly worth a visit, but we preferred not to stay there.
My wife speaks pretty good Italian, which is obviously a help, but I managed by myself often enough, armed with only an arsenal of nouns, a handful of mostly unconjugated verbs, and a few politenesses such as "I would like", "Do you have...?", and of course, lots of Buongiorno, please, and thank you.

Room Tip: We had the room near the entryway
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NickyAZ
Dear NickyAZ, although in very long delay we want to thank you so much for the wonderful words. Thank you for have defended us from evil words. Thank you for have demonstrated, in a simple way, the right meaning of the words "real travelers" and therefore who appreciate the traditions of the places that they visit. It 's always an honor for us to host people like you and if you want to sleep like baby yet, you know where to find us. A hug.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2010

After being picked up at the station by Antonino and receiving a warm welcome from Carmela on arrival at the B&B, we were served tea.
We were shown our room and advised that breakfast was at 8.30am. That meant that a coffee pot full of coffee and some bread and tomatoes and cheese was left on the table at that time and we could come and get it whenever. (Carmela and Antonino then left for work at 8.30 and did not return until late evening) So at 9.00 when we came to breakfast it was cold and nobody was around to replace it as they had gone out to work.
The rooms were not cleaned or the towels replaced during our 3 day stay.
We did not see the owners again until the last morning when they arrived to ask for their money. We asked could we have a lift to the train station as it was raining heavily and they said no. They were too busy. They did not offer to order a taxi, but said they had to go back to work and we could wait for the rain to stop and then walk (1.5km)
We paid 85 euro per night, but when we checked with a 4* hotel in town they were charging 70 euro per night.
There is also a church clock nearby which rings every 15 mins , 24 hours a day (and night) so sleeping was difficult.
There was a guest book in the room with alot of lovely comments, but we noted that all the comments related to 2002 to 2007 and after that there were virtually no good reviews. The same is true of viewtrip reviews ! It appears that the stories of fab dinners with the owners are a thing of the past and no mention was made of the possibility of an evening meal.
The TV in our room did not work.
There was no shampoo or shower gel but we met a lovely American couple from the next room who gave us some. In fact they were the only thing that made our stay bearable. They also thought it was awful and were desperate for fresh towels as they had not had any for 3 days and due to the humidity could not get the ones they had dry, so were using damp used towls for days! The American couple had a car , and while the B&B indicate on the website that there is parking, there is no mention of the price (10 euros per day)
We also asked if we could check our flight details on the internet to check for delays and were told no, the computer belonged to the daughter, who was not home.

I have travelled extensively to most parts of the world for 30 years and I would say this was the most inhospitable place I have ever stayed in.

On the plus side the rooms are large and clean, the location is 5 mins from some good restaurants. The town is small but a welcome break from Sorrento. So Meta is a good base just do not stay in this guest house..

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank danos1
We are not agree with your words, but we will not answer you with the same tone. We know how we do our work and we have no doubt about this. Reviews of all the other guests speak for themselves! Good luck.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I had read the reviews and looked forward to staying at Orchid Corner. Unfortunately, the place did not live up to expectations. The female owner was apparently incapacitated and we did not see her during our two night stay. I think perhaps our experience would have been better if she had been available.

The facility itself is very charming. The two rooms we had were large and the bathrooms modern. The friends traveling with us complained of excessive dampness in their room. The breakfasts were sufficient and served on the nice terrace. One thing that struck us as a bit unfriendly was the failure to leave even one light on in the entry for after-dark arrival. They need to take a lesson from Motel 6. The hotel is quite a distance from the train station and we found it difficult to get around in general. However, Meta is convenient to Pompeii and cheaper than Sorrento. Lots of potential here, but the experience was nothing special, unfortunately.

One more thing: the church clock nearby tolls every fifteen minutes and does not stop during the night. It didn't bother me, but some in our party had their sleep disturbed.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BluegrassTarheel
OrchidCornerAdm, Proprietario at Orchid Corner B&B, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear BluegrassTarheel,
we apologize for the delay, but as we usual say in these part of the world: "Better late than never"!
We thank you for your comment, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our lovely house, big size and cleanliness of our rooms and strategic location in which Meta is located (20 minutes by train to Pompeii and 4 minutes by train to Sorrento center).
We understand that a stay of only two nights is not always enough to find time to exchange words or spend time together and we know that often in 48h is not easy to learn how to move into a new area (for these reason, from long time, we give to our guests a map of Meta where they can find all the main informations they need for move around with public transport).
Dear friends, we inform you that you have stayed in a house of late 700, whose structure has remained intact, the old construction technique allows us to have a great thermic conditions during summer and winter season, obviously your friends didn’t appreciate the pleasant summer fresh that our guests usually love!
The bell of the Church of Saint Lucia has been there from 200 years ... and like the centuries-old tradition, toll as always!!
We thank you so much again for your review and we hope that you will come back to our B&B if you’ll decide to spent other days in our lovely area.
A hug.
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Carmela, & Antonino, Thank You for sharing your home with my wife & I. We stayed in the mini-apartment for 1 week. It was pure luck finding a true Italion Home to share the fantastic sights, sounds, history of Sorrento, without the commercialization. The local food (butcher shop, grocery stores) was very fresh, bread, meat, fruit, pesto/pasta, local pizza, & restaurantes. With the apartment we prepared our own meals with groceries purchased at the local butcher, & grocery stores 1-2 blocks from home. This allowed us to come and go based on the days adventure we planned for our selves, the beach, Pompei, Amalfi Coast bus tour, Sorrento tour, Capri Island & boat tour. We traveled by train, bus, & on foot. Antonino picked us up at train on arrival & dropped off us on departure (luggage). Carmela is very helpful with whatever level of service you ask for (laundry, Internet, directions). We were very independent, as were touring every day, returning late at times, so our own meal prep worked best for us. Carmela & Antonino, keep a very clean B&B, we were very comfortable, & would return, when need a private clean home away from home found in the true local Italion neighbourhood. Staying more than 2 nights recommended if wanting to locate all amenities I have mentioned. Bring a open mind, to learn were you are, & how to get around. We both enjoyed our stay & overall experience/adventure. Mini Apartment was perfect for us, however the Bed & Breakfast rooms are very spacious, clean, set in an original family owned historical home. Home overlooks a small orange orchard so very peaceful setting. We enjoyed a glass of wine on the patio garden most evenings. This is living in Italy. We have travelled many major cities of Italy, & this weeks stay was a very good rest from hustle & bustle of large cities.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmericanTraveler57
Dear AmericanTraveler57, we apologize for the long delay. We wanted to thank you very much for the beautiful words. We are glad to hear that your experience at our house made ​​you feel "real Italian" and that you, therefore, appreciated our land and its traditions. Thank you. We hope to welcome you again if you will return one day. A hug.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meta
Hotel Mega Mare
Hotel Caravel Sorrento
Hotel Caravel Sorrento
#4 of 19 in Sant'Agnello
La Pennichella Sorrentina

Been to Orchid Corner B&B? Share your experiences!