“TripAdvisor reviewers steered us wrong for the first time ever.”
Review of Zinzi

Zinzi
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Vibrant and casual with distinctive international flavours, Zinzi Restaurant offers an abundant & tasty menu. Ideal for sun-downers on the deck, or for a relaxed dining experience, Zinzi embraces the spirit of hearty cuisine and zesty ingredients with a choice selection of a la carte menu items. A meal at Zinzi is truly an abundant experience of honest food, warm service and superb ambience, at an affordable price.
Reviewed 10 August 2013

How this restaurant is rated #1 in Plettenberg Bay is beyond me. I will admit that first appearances were awesome. It's a beautiful restaurant with low lighting and big comfy dinner chairs but sadly, that is about the extent of the awesomeness. We did enjoy a rather lovely bottle of vino off of their "quirky" wine selection. It was called Scaramanga and it was very good so I'll add that to the "awesomeness" of the evening. It all goes down hill from there, though. My husband and I each ordered a bowl of soup. I had the spicy peanut and my husband had the sweet potato. Neither were noteworthy. Mine was not in the least bit spicy and he could not detect even a hint of sweet potato in his. We also decided to share an order of the grilled calamari. It was not even remotely warm but we took the blame for that since it came out shortly after our soup and we finished our soup before starting on the calamari. The calamari was served with a small side salad. There was a BUG on the salad so when my husband tried to move the tartar sauce, I said "stop!" I want to show the manager this .... and before I could say "bug" he said "Oh, you can see the worm?" I was like "WORM!??!?!" and he moved the little bowl of the tartar sauce and sure enough there was a small green worm wiggling around. Because we couldn't see our waitress after looking all around for her (more on service later) he got up and found a waiter. He brought him over to the table and showed him both the bug and the worm. The waiter apologized and took the plate away. After quite some time, the manager came out and said she couldn't find "him" ... I asked if she meant the bug or the worm and she said "oh I saw the bug but not the worm. Are you sure it wasn't cucumber?" My husband said "NO! It was moving around the plate!" She apologized but pretty much made light of it. She asked if we were ready for our mains and we let her know we were. We waited and waited and waited....the table next to us got their food and I must have looked annoyed because the manager asked what was wrong. I pointed out that they arrived at the restaurant long after us and yet they were served quickly. She responded by saying "well they didn't order a starter" ... makes sense except we ordered our entree at the same time we ordered our appetizer and figured it would be coming soon after we'd finished with the first course. WRONG! We finally got our meals and I'd like to say it was worth the wait but it really wasn't. My husband's kudu was really tough.....each time he's had kudu in the past, it has been "melt in your mouth" tender. My fillet, whilst definitely tender, was pretty much tasteless. I don't think they even salt and peppered it, never mind used any other kind of seasoning. Bland and boring; just like the "spicy" peanut soup. There was no way we were going to have dessert so we asked for our bill and left. Rewind to service.....I expected the service to be good. It was not. Our dirty dishes sat on the table for long periods of time, other than the one time the manager topped off our wine, we had to do it every other time by ourselves and as I mentioned earlier, when we found the wormy thing and bug in our salad, we were unable to locate our waitress after waiting for a fairly long period of time. Just overall a total disappointment.

2  Thank azhootie
Zinzi_Rest, Manager at Zinzi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

We would like to thank you for your written feedback. We regard service excellence and customer satisfaction very highly and hope to satisfy all our clients in every possible way. We are saddened that your evening with us did not turn out to be a memorable one as so many of our diners have experienced.
We have taken your concerns regarding food & service to heart and will try our utmost best to rectify them in future. Hopefully you would be able to visit us again, and we would be able to re-establish the trust that so many of our guests, on TripAdvisor, has had in the past.
With kindest regards
The Zinzi Team

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I was a little intimidated when I walked in because I felt like I should've been more dressed up (so wear something nice) but it was a great restaurant. My gourmet lamb burger was delicious and my sister loved her curry. The food was so reasonably priced and the service was great. I loved it!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Sunday lunch was superb!! Atmosphere and attention to detail just what you would want in a first class establishment. Our guests were totally enamoured and so were we. Living in Knysna we had forgotten about this gem of a restaurant just on our doorstep!

Reviewed 11 July 2013

This place was so classy! I'm travelling the Garden Route with my sister, found Zinzi, and am so glad we made the short drive from Plett to try it out. I had the Indonesian Chicken Curry, which was outstanding, arrived piping hot and cooked to perfection, and was quite inexpensive to boot. The menu is simple but definitely has enough variety, and there is so much attention to detail. The service was fantastic, and my favorite bit was the chocolate-covered dates our waiter brought with the bill :) The restaurant itself is beautiful, although I can't say much for the setting, because unfortunately it was dark when we went! A wonderful evening out, and a memory I'll take home with me! I will certainly return to Zinzi when I come back to South Africa!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We had a wonderful evening at Zinzi. The setting is stunning, the atmosphere stylish, the staff extremely cordial, and the service excellent. The menu fell a bit short of my expectations - somehow I didn't see the level of creativity in the menu offerings that matched the interior - but the food was very well-prepared. Prices were much lower than we would have expected (although still at the higher end compared with other local restaurants). All in all an excellent meal.

1  Thank Christine T