“Items stolen out of our room. Appalling management/owners, just as bad food.”

Hotel Continental - TonelliHotels
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Nago
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

First tip don't stay here, second tip if you do lock everything I mean everything away in your case it's not safe.
Ok...Arrived at the hotel it's a bit far out so you would need a car to get around. Room was clean with an ok view. The only great thing about this Hotel is the staff they employ. Alex the bar man I have to say was outstanding.
Food was appalling! Breakfast was the worst with only fresh fruit if you had it at dinner the night before. You would get Prunes and peaches out of a tin every morning meats and cheese. The 'cooked' breakfast was cold and fried eggs was like rubber. The main dinner in the evening was ok 4 courses with a salad bar sounds wonderful but no. Some mornings you had to pick what you wanted for dinner that night, which wasn't a great choice to choose from 2 or 3 items. But most nights was "Gala" night where you didn't get a choice everyone got the same food.
On our second to last day my set of makeup brushes and eyeliner were stolen out of our room. I had used a cup to put them in on the dresser all week and was shocked to find that they had gone. I went down to the desk and told them that my makeup brushes had gone out of our room to which she said I will phone the cleaner and ask her. I couldn't get anything thing from management that night all they would say is we will talk to cleaner. The next morning I went down and asked have you spoken to the cleaner? Yes she said she hasn't got them and shrugged they shoulders, I pointed out again that someone has gone into our room. Then I was told if I write down the value of the brushes etc.. stolen they would give me the money to cover them. I came back to the desk with my list of stolen brushes and eyeliner and the cost of each one which in total came to £91, Then was told No we are not paying that it's not our problem. I then said someone has gone into our room by getting a key from you and has taken my belongings their answer was impossible out cleaner has worked for us for 20 years. I then pointed out that their gardener was in our room putting up flower boxes to which she laughed and said you think a man took your brushes. There was two owners on site that morning which was our checking out day and we was flying home. We had the same argument with them that someone has gone into our room by getting a key from them. Impossible our staff have worked for us for 20 years it's not our problem go to the police. Of course we would have if we was told that when I first complained but we had a flight to catch that morning. So we didn't have the time then to go to the police. This is appalling behaviour from an owner/manager of a hotel to have the attitude 'not our problem' and to laugh at their guest face to face. Totally discussed and would not recommend anyone to stay here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank LoadersRus

Reviewed 17 October 2013

When we were dropped off by the airport bus at this hotel after the steep climb up from Lake Garda I wondered if I had made the right decision to stay up here. It was not long before I knew I had! The afternoon tea and cakes at 4pm were most welcome after our longer than expected (3 and a half hour) transfer from Milan airport. Every evening in the dining room was an occasion - five courses and a half liter carafe of wine and nearly always some music.Mrs Tonnelli, the owner would always come round and check her guests were happy, which they inevitably were due to her excellent staff. In particular, Lorenzo, head waiter is very efficient and obliging and in the Bar, Alex has a great rapport with all the guests and speaks very good English.The room was very clean and comfortable and having a corner room, I had an extra large wrap around balcony!There are tea and coffee making facilities but no milk (not added to drinks in Italy!) but this could be obtained from the bar or dining room. Would have been slightly nicer to have proper china cups instead of flimsy plastic ones but that is a minor detail. I used both the indoor and outdoor swimming pools during my stay and enjoyed having that facility. I question the former respondent who said that there were,' several good ways to walk down to Torbole.'I found two and would not tackle either without proper walking shoes on. The path under the Marmitte rock in particular was not for the faint hearted! If I said one of the hotel staff who lived in Torbole said the locals NEVER walk from Nago to Torbole then that is good advice to heed! The hotel runs a courtesy bus and there are service buses. I stayed here for a week as part of an organised holiday and would definitely recommend it as a place to stay. One advantage is that we were the last pick up and first drop offs on our trips to Venice and Verona. People staying in Limone had another 40 minutes each way of travelling! Altogether a lovely hotel with super staff who made us feel most welcome. Want to go back in the summer months!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank Clarabella1111
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This was our fifth stay at the Continental which, as you have probably guessed, we adore.
It is a fabulous hotel, and the Tonelli Family are clearly always looking for ways to improve, as there have been many changes over the years, all of which have allowed the hotel to retain the family atmosphere it has always exuded.
We booked through an agency (we should have booked directly with the hotel) and a few weeks prior to the holiday, the agency advised us that we had been moved to another hotel. We especially wanted the Continental and so contacted the hotel directly. They were so helpful, and with minimum fuss, we were transferred straight back.
The buffet breakfast is substantial to say the least, with both hot and cold choices, including different meats, cheeses, smoked salmon, eggs, bacon etc and many fruit juices including freshly squeezed orange. There was even iced Prosecco
Dinner was waiter service and was 5 courses every evening. The food was absolutely amazing. You make the dinner choice at breakfast, and it was always varied and was served beautifully, in my opinion, pretty close to fine dining.
There are two swimming pools, one outdoor and one indoor. The outdoor is set amongst olive groves in the hotel's gardens and is so tranquil and beautiful
The hotel is situated in the little village of Nago, which is about 1.5km uphill from the lakeside town of Torbole. However, the hotel runs a free mini-bus to and from Torbole every day
We didn't use the minibus at all as there are a number of beautiful walks from Nago to Torbole, the most stunning of which is probably the old Roman road - Santa Lucia - the scenery is absolutely stunning. It is not an easy walk back up from the Lake, but so worth the effort if you are able,
We believe the position of the hotel gives the best of both worlds, as the Lake is easily within reach, but so are the mountains for those who enjoy cycling, walking, hiking etc or just stunning scenery
Nago itself is completely uncommercialised so you can see the real Italian way of life,

I really don't know where to start with the staff, as they are all brilliant. Due to other commitments, we had not visited the hotel for the past 3 years, however, as soon as we arrived for our first breakfast, Lorenzo, who is in charge of the Dining Room, immediately remembered us. This is an achievement in itself given the number of people who must stay there every year. I believe this shows a real commitment to his guests.
Mrs Tonelli continues to be a real hands-on owner, and was present until late evenings and at the reception first thing in the morning. She is not a young woman, and I think this commitment by the owners clearly shines through.
I wish I could remember all the names, however, I'm afraid I cannot. I would like to especially mention Alex, the barman, who was literally a laugh a minute and really great at his work. Arturo at Recpetion was the kind person who changed our booking back to the Continental, so a huge thanks to him also.
There is so much more I could say about this wonderful hotel, love it, love it, love it,

Room Tip: We had room 315 which we requested, as we know from previous experience the balconies on this side o...
3  Thank LimboAlpini
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We have just returned from spending a week at this hotel as part of a trip to Lake Garda with Newmarket travel.
We were delighted with the accommodation which lived up to our expectations after reviewing the
Hotel before our arrival. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and extremely clean. We had a room at the front of the hotel, which had lovely views of the surrounding countryside.
The staff were extremely helpful and the chefs were happy to accommodate a gluten free diet with specially prepared pasta and sauces. The food at dinner was excellent, with five courses on offer, a carafe of wine and bottled water included at no extra cost. Afternoon tea was available and tea and coffee on demand.
There are two swimming pools and a gym available. Whilst the hotel is about a ten minute drive from the town of Torbole, this was not a problem as there is a courtesy mini bus and local transport. The towns of Torbole and Riva offer coffee shops, good restaurants and shopping. There are also various ferries to transport you to a variety of towns along the lake. A hotel and destination to be recommended!

Room Tip: At the front of the hotel as rooms at the back get very little sun.
4  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was our second visit to the Continental and we weren't disappointed - if anything, this year the hotel had improved. The staff are lovely, helpful and welcoming; the food is very good and plentiful and things are smoothly run.

There are several excellent walks direct from the hotel, that take you through vineyards and olive groves; you can also take a couple of picturesque walks down into Torbole. Riva del Garda can be reached by walking around the shore of the Lake, or ferries to various Lakeside destinations are available from Torbole. The walk back to the hotel can prove a little arduous (being uphill) but there is a free shuttle bus laid on from Torbole at 4 p.m. every day.

The two sisters who used to run the 'Bar no name' in Riva have now opened the 'Piccadilly' in one of the small side streets behind the Hotel Centrale in Riva and is a source of good traditional Italian food at reasonable prices. Also for those longing for a cup of tea, they proudly serve "Tetley' (give me an espresso any day).

We had been 'bumped' to another hotel this trip, but we insisted on the Continental and were lucky enough to get a cancellation. I have no doubt we will return.

Room Tip: There are a few with lake views and it does no harm in asking.
1  Thank TerrySymonds
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Mike W.
The first impression of the hotel is good, nice appearance, and clean, although limited parking facilities. The location is not ideal, unless you have a car, although the hotel runs a shuttle bus daily to Torbole. Nago is a good location for exploring the attractions of the North shore of Lake Garda and environs by car and lake ferry.
The facilities of the hotel are good, with a nice indoor pool and sauna complex and a bar/lounge with musical entertainment on some evenings. The bedrooms are comfortable, although a little small and cramped. The staff are excellent, nothing was too much trouble and they were always very pleasant.
Unfortunately the hotel was let down badly by the food. The breakfast spread was fine, and the afternoon tea a delight, however the dinners were poor.
The choice of menu was not good, and not of particularly good quality, and almost invariably arrived cold, as if it had been plated for some time. With decent food I would have rated it four star plus, as is I struggle to give it three stars.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mike W
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stayed here for a week at the end of August.Food, service, and rooms were excellent with nothing too much bother for the staff. Location is fine but a bit of a walk from the lake if you don't have a car. Nago is small but welcoming and Torbole and Riva are bustling with a great choice of restaurants,shops and activities .The area is well placed for driving to Verona and Venice,both highly recommended. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank RhosBridin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nago
Hotel Lago di Garda
#10 of 62 in Riva Del Garda
Lido Palace
Lido Palace
#2 of 62 in Riva Del Garda

Been to Hotel Continental - TonelliHotels? Share your experiences!