“NOT A PLACE I'D RUSH BACK TO”
Review of Cafe Ruby

Cafe Ruby
Ranked #20 of 93 Restaurants in Durbanville
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The location is nice and the decor creates a nice ambiance, but that's where it stops. We were ignored at the door for minutes on end by various staff members, walking right past us and who all seem to have received special training in avoiding eye contact with customers at all times. It later proved just as difficult to attract the attention of the waitress throughout the meal. She was simply absent until tracked down with some effort. When we finally got a table the table was dirty and we had to ask the waitress twice to clean it. I found the 'cafe style' food (their words) rather expensive for what it is. We twice had to make different choices after being informed (after a delay each time) that what we'd ordered was no longer available. The dessert menu was very limited and unimaginative. The main courses (pie and the chicken pita) were tasty, but too expensive. The main issue, though, was the lack of service. After we'd finally managed to get the waitress to bring the bill, we waited for 20 minutes for her to return with the card machine. Apparently they have only one handheld machine, and that was being used outside all that time. Perhaps breakfast or a glass of wine is this cafe's forte, but a great lunch venue it is not. I won't be spending my money there again.

2  Thank HarveyCapeTown
There are newer reviews for Cafe Ruby

Reviewed 31 December 2013

The food is great,reasonably priced.the service is very good. Situated in the wine lands. I would absolutely recommend Cafe Ruby. Rather book to avoid disappointment.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Lovely setting, friendly service and a delicious breakfast with very very yummy homemade bread. Given my experience and the other options on the menu, and that is excluding the blackboard, I will definitely be back. Besides, there is also the wine tasting at Kleinroosboom wines which definitely looks like an option to try! I highly recommend making the effort to get out there and enjoy.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had a wonderful breakfast experience. Lovely poached eggs on mushrooms with a wonderful, perfectly cooked hollandaise sauce. Homemade bread was served with it. Very tasty and filling breakfast. There so many other interesting choices on the menu that we will have to retunr for lunch as well.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Since my previous review a year ago, we have frequented Cafe Ruby many times. There has been, however, a change in management, and I thought a "fresh" review would be appropriate. Ambience has not really changed, and the basic setup remains the same. The lunch menu is now on a blackboard, and is more extensive and a nice variety. They also have "nibbles", an assortment of small dishes to share or eat alone. We opted for the Cafe Burger again, which is really tasty and a very good portion. The patty is homemade. It is a bit messy to eat though. The restaurant was packed, and they did not really have a queing system in place. I have noticed a few irritated customers who were turned away. A nice touch would have been to send them to the wine tasting area to wait for tables to become free. The wines are all Klein Roosboom and they are excellent. Cannot wait for their 2013 Sauvignon Blance - they are still on the 2012 version, which is still very enjoyable. The Darling Brew beer is still there, but I miss the Darling Bone Crusher (Weiss Beer). It is available in Darling at their premises. Food was fairly quick to be served, but the drinks order took very long. All in all the very good experience and we will surely be back. We can really recommend this eatery.