“Worth the drive out of town - the best curry I've had in years!”
Review of Tumble Downs

Tumble Downs
Ranked #2 of 42 Restaurants in Howick
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The restaurant is conveniently situated only 8 kms outside of Howick on the Currys Post Road. Approximately 4½ hours from Johannesburg and 1½ hours from Durban. Tastefully decorated yet simply country, this venue is ideal for dining pleasure. The row of glass panelled doors that open out onto the covered veranda echo the buildings stable origins, but inside the ceilings have been raised to give the feeling of great depth and space. Tastefully decorated but remaining true to the country ambience, Tumble Downs has a passion for food and hospitality. The awe-inspiring landscape of the surrounding Kamberg and Karkloof Valley, the unrestricted freedom of its lawns, fine cuisine and true country-style hospitality makes this the ultimate venue.
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“Worth the drive out of town - the best curry I've had in years!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We were driving through Howick on our way to Underberg, and just had to try Tumble Downs with all the rave reviews on food and views. It was worth every kilometre of the drive. We got there right at noon - so of course started the lunch parade. I had the Moroccan curry (sweet) and it was truly one of the best curries I've had in years. One of our party had the artist's chicken was unusual and tasty - we were all asking for tastes from her plate. My hubbie had a chicken special stuffed with figs and gorgonzola sauce - also exquisite. The food was tremendous, and the service attentive, and yes, the views were beautiful. Definitely worth the drive out of town!

• Visited February 2014

Howick, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing but with a splendid view”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Perhaps my expectations were too high, as on previous visits the food was excellent. As the restaurant has been enlarged, perhas coping with a crowd was beyond the kitchen on this occasion. But I'd go back again. There are great facilities for the children, and the 360' view is quite spectacular.

• Visited December 2013
“Great desserts”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We sat outdoors and enjoyed the view. The drinks were tall and cold; dessert was amazing. Service was excellent. I really enjoyed my conversation with the waiter whose name I wrote down but unfortunately I misplaced the piece of paper - I apologise. The attentive service, help with recommendations and easy conversation made the two hours we lingered over a lazy lunch a very memorable experience.
This place was a good recommendation from the young woman at the Crane Hide in Karkloof.

• Visited November 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food in a country setting.”
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

We are regulars and have never been disappointed. The fillet steak with brandy pepper sauce is our favorite. Thanks to Werner and Michele.

Visited October 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Comfortable vibe, quality food”
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely supper at tumble downs, specifically the morrocan curry (not hot at all, fruity and flavourful) and herb sole, both tasty. They kindly lit a fire to keep my wife warm and Mandla our waiter was very accomodating.

• Visited August 2013